Author Topic: Two Marriages  (Read 8601 times)

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
Two Marriages
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for a couple of marriages that my Great x3 Grandfather had.

He is called Francis DEXTER and his first wife was a Martha HILL. 

Francis was born in North/South Luffenham 1826. 

Martha was born I think in 1824 Ketton Cum Tixover.

Martha died in 1868 aged 42, I know maths are not correct but I have few birth dates for her.

Francis Re Married a Hannah as seen on the 1871 Uppingham Census.

I would like to find out the marriage dates and Hannahs maiden name.

Thanks

Paul
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 09:32 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't seem to be anything on freebmd -= so it will mean trawling through 1837online for his firt marriage - start just before the birth of their first child....

Then, the second marriage - did they have any children ?  it would be easier to find out her maiden name first through one of their birth certificates.....there are quite a few Francis Dexter's - maybe someone else who knows that area better than me could pinpoint the correct one !
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 05 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

On Francis second marriage he would have been about 42 which is getting on a bit for kids.

The 1871 Census shows Francis with Hannah and his age is 46 hers 60 so she was to old I think as Martha died in 1868.

The 1871 Census also shows George 14, William 16 and Edward 12.

In the 1861 Census George 2, William 6, Edward 4 and Ann 8.

Its to much of a coincidence.

I just could do with the dates and places of marriage to tie it all in.

Thanks

Paul
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 05 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find one of them for you -

Francis DEXTER & Martha HILL    June quarter 1851 at Stamford  24  1145

~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 January 05 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Kathy

You are a STAR, thanks very much!!  My jigsaw is coming together nicely.

I had that one down as 1851 - 1853.  Great stuff!!

Just need to find the last marriage.  How did you unearth that one?

Thanks

Paul

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 January 05 09:15 GMT (UK) »
You really need to know the wife's maiden name ! 

If the entries have been transcribed onto freebmd - which I don't think those have yet - you can work out which bride fits - by their first name - usually.

On this one - I knew his first child Ann, was born c. 1853 - so searched on 1837 online for a marriage for Francis Dexter - between 1850 -53

Luckily, I found a Francis quite quickly - I started at Mar 1851 - and noted the reference.  Then by revising the search to 'Martha Hill' for the same date - found her entry and the same reference No.  Bingo !

Without a maiden name it is impossible to cross reference - they may nevert have married - or there may be more than one Francis Dexter......in which case you I would say - send the details to the GRO and ask them to send you the one with a wife called Hannah

Also - it might help to find the death of Martha - to narrow down your dates

*There is a death listed on freebmd for a Frances Dexter - in Stamford - March q. 1855 5a 212 - no age is given - perhaps this is related to your family ?
~~~~~~~~

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 January 05 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

Thanks again for the info.

I can't seem to get a maiden name at the moment but Martha died in 1868 aged 42.

Then all of a sudden a Hannah Dexter appears on the 1871 census with Francis and his 3 boys.  No Ann though she must have gone off to work as she would have been 18, or she married.

So there is a 3 year window to this last marriage.

Thanks again for your time Kathy

Paul

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 January 05 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I have had a quick look - and searched from Jan 1869 - Mar 1871

There are only two Francis Dexter marriages :

Frances DEXTER   Dec 1870  Leicester  7a  501

Frances Henry DEXTER  Mar 1871  Hackney  1b 470
~~~~~~~~

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 January 05 10:24 GMT (UK) »
It would probably be the Leicester one although the census has her down as an Uppingham Lass!!

Thanks again for your time Kathy.

I think it will be a trip to Stamford Library for my Aunt Silv.

Paul