Author Topic: 1841 census look up please  (Read 3589 times)

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census look up please
« on: Saturday 21 June 08 11:26 BST (UK) »
Looking for James Jackson and his wife Margaret. They would have married around 1800 and had at least 1 child in Newton on Ayr

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 June 08 12:07 BST (UK) »
Really need a little more info to be able to pin them down.

There are 3 James jacksons living in Ayrshire on the 1841 old enough to have been married in 1800.  None in Newton on Ayr.

One is Irish, with a wife Bridget, so can be ruled out.

At Crosshill Daluhoan Street, Kirkmichael:

James Jackson b. Ayrshire c1781. Independent.
Margret Jackson b. Ayrshire c 1781
Margret Jackson b. Ayrshire c.1820

At Millendenall, Colmonell:

James Jackson b. Ayrshire c.1776. Farmer
Jean Jackson b. Ayrshire c.1815
Martha Jackson b. Ayrshire c.1815
Jannat Jackson b. Ayrshire c.1817
William Jackson b. Ayrshire c.1819
and a load of farm servants

So nothing to tie any of them into your folks without a little more info.

Must go ahve some lunch now, but will check the 1851 later and see if any of them are still there and give any connection to Newton on Ayr.

Regards

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 08 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ellen

The info available on this couple is

Son Hugh bpt 19 Jul 1801 at Sorn

Daur Mary bpt 27 Mar 1803 Sorn

Daur Agnes bpt 15 Nov 1807 Newton on Ayr

Parents names are James Jackson and Margaret Miller/Millar

I dont have a marriage record for them and dont know if they are originally from Ayrshire

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 June 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Ok, don't immediately see anything on the 1851, but on the 1841 there is this possible:

@ 192 Main Street, Gorbals, Lanarkshire

Widow Jackson b. c 1776 Scotland (so not Lanarkshire), Grocer
Hugh Jackson b. c.1801 Scotland, Clerk
Mary Jackson b. c 1826 Lanarkshire

Cheers

Ellen
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Online sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 June 08 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ellen, some further research required  ;)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 05:45 BST (UK) »

Hello Ellen,

It would appear that Sancti was researching some of my ancestors that have proved to be "rather difficult" to say the least. My Great-Grandfather was John Jackson Ferns, who was born around 1836 and married a couple of times. His first wife was Elizabeth McDonald and his second, Susan Armstrong.

The big problem is John's father, my Great-Great-Grandfather, Peter Ferns, who was supposedly born in Glasgow, Lanarshire around the year 1799. He married a lass by the name Agnes Jackson, who had been born at St Quivox and Newton in Ayrshire on 6th November, 1807. Her parents were James Jackson and Margaret Millar.

Now, I've tried to trace Old Peter Ferns back on several occasions, and have failed miserably each time. No shame in that, eh? From the usual "myths and legends" handed down by members of my family, I have always been led to understand that there was a connection with the Emerald Isle. When I saw in your posting a mention of a possible Irish connection, that triggered off a flash of memory that may be able to help us all out.

Some time ago, I managed to make the journey from my home to the local Family History Centre at Braeside, here in Melbourne, but, unfortunately, was unable to stay very long due to my medical condition. However, I had been able to take down a few notes in shorthand, (something that I learned as a young lad way back in the Stone Age!). At the time, the bits and pieces that I tried to put together were rather difficult, especially details of this family:

On FHL Film 1041340, I found details from Dundonald, Eccles Parish, in Ayrshire, I believe. I noted a James Jackson aged 55 in 1841, and he was described as a Wagon Nailler. He was said to have been BORN IN IRELAND. I thought to myself, is this my first clue to a possible Irish connection? I then proceeded to a few "fun and games" with his wife, who was described as "Bridget" on the FHL Film.

I rolled up my sleeves and did a bit of "digging" via her kids, and found that she was also known as "Biddie Mollin" and as I continued to work on it, that eventually came out as Elizabeth MORELAND. I dusted off my New Tricks hat, and then had a closer look at the children of James Jackson and our "Biddie". Although their daughter, Sarah, (aged 20 on the 1841 Census), was shown as being born in Ireland, her siblings were not.

David, aged 18, a carpenter's apprentice was born in Ayrshire 8th June, 1819,
Elizabeth, aged 12, born 24th October, 1826 in Ayrshire and James, aged 10 christened on 12th May, 1830 also born in Ayrshire.
Now, I tend to be rather forgetful at times and neglect to insert details of my sources, but, I think you'll agree, that today I have excelled myself  ;D You will find many postings of mine on RootsChat, and fairly recent ones on the Antrim, Ireland Board as well as the Wigtown Board. I also refer to other bits and pieces on the Fife Board.

I hope that all of the above is coming across loud and clear. If it is, then I'm pretty sure that it will be of some help to you.

My very wishes to you, and I appreciate your interest in my family.

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 06:13 BST (UK) »

Hi again, Ellen,

As I say on many of my postings, sometimes the old custom of "naming patterns" can come in handy, - sometimes! Now, I noticed the Extracted births of the children of James JACKSON and Margaret MILLAR, and I'm sure that I found that James JACKSON's father was named Hugh JACKSON, which fits the pattern perfectly.

I have lots of time on my hands, and did quite an extensive search on Births and Marriages relating to the Jackson family. In order to keep things on "an even keel", I noted that the marriage details came from LDS Batch No. M115852. Dates: 1692-1820. I found a considerable amount of interesting details about such people as Hugh Jackson, John Jackson, Gilbert Jackson and James Jackson and that information was from the Dailly area of Ayrshire. When I went round to the local library, I had a "gander" at a map of Scotland and noted the close proximity of such places as DAILLY, STRAITON, KIRKMICHAEL, KIRKOSWALD to AYR.

This gave me some details that I was able to add to the bare details of some of the Censuses, i.e. the names of the wives of some of the individuals that I was looking at. As examples John Jackson married Mary Gordon on 6th March, 1712 at Dailly in Ayrshire. That can be found on Batch No. M115852.

One Hugh Jackson married a Margaret McFadyen on 13th June, 1720 at Dailly in Ayrshire. That also can be found on Batch No M115852. Another Hugh Jackson married an Anna Hood on 29th November, 1739 at Dailly in Ayrshire. Also to be found on the same Batch Number.

I find that it's quite a rewarding experience to do that kind of work, but would acknowledge that it may not be everybody's cup of tea. However, I feel quite comfortable with it, and at my time of life, I like the quiet life!

My best wishes to you.

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 07:13 BST (UK) »

Hi!,

I thought that a short list of marriages in Dailly, Ayrshire may be of some assistance to researchers of the JACKSON family. These are taken from the LDS Batch Number M115852  Dates: 1692-1820.

John Jackson married Mary Gordon 6th March, 1712 at Dailly in Ayrshire.
Hugh Jackson married Margaret MacFadyen 13th June, 1720 at Dailly in Ayrshire.
Agnes Jackson married David Baird 30th December, 1731 at Dailly in Ayr.
Gilbert Jackson married Lilias Paterson 11th November, 1735 at Dailly in Ayr.
Mary Jackson married Robert Osburn 20th July, 1738 at Dailly in Ayr.
Hugh Jackson married Anna Hood 29th November, 1739 at Dailly in Ayr.
Jannet Jackson married John Shaw 3rd June, 1740 at Dailly in Ayr.
Gilbert Jackson married Agnes McHutcheon 13th September,, 1743 at Dailly in Ayr.
John Jackson married Janet Muir 28th August, 1755 at Dailly in Ayr.
James Jackson married Margaret Gray 28th January, 1800 at Dailly in Ayr.
John Jackson married Helen McMicken 2nd June, 1803 at Dailly in Ayr.

I would hope that the list will assist other researchers in tracing their JACKSON
ancestors.

My very best wishes as always.

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 07:38 BST (UK) »

Hi,

By furnishing you with details of various members of the JACKSON family, we are are now better able to discuss them knowing something of their background. Sometimes, it's rather difficult to connect various individuals to their parents, and that can be rather annoying. Let me show you that by giving you some details from an FHL Film, we can, sometimes, get around the problem. I will be referring to FHL Film 1041337.

Agnes Jackson.   Gender: Female. Christening date: 18th January, 1713. Recorded at Dailly, Ayrshire. Father:  John JACKSON. FLH Film 1041337.

Gilbert Jackson.  Gender: Male. Christening date: 5th December, 1714. Recorded in Dailly, Ayrshire. Father: John JACKSON. FHL Film 1041337.

Hugh Jackson.   Gender: Male.  Christening date: 28th April, 1717. Recorded at Dailly, Ayrshire. Father: John JACKSON. FHL Film 1041337.

Margaret Jackson.  Gender:  Female. Christening Date: 26th July, 1719. Recorded at Dailly, Ayrshire. Father: John JACKSON. FHL Film 1041337.

John Jackson.   Gender: Male.  Christening Date: 13th August, 1721. Recorded at Dailly, Ayrshire. Father: John JACKSON. FHL Film 1041337.

Robert Jackson.   Gender: Male.  Christening Date: 12th July, 1724. Recorded at Dailly, Ayrshire. Father: John JACKSON. FHL Film 1041337.

William Jackson.  Gender: Male.  Christening Date: 29th January, 1727. Recorded in Dailly, Ayrshire. Father: John JACKSON. FHL Film 1041337.

Again, the information that I give, has been linked to its source and other researchers can continue that work if they so desire.

My very best wishes to you all.

Tom.