Author Topic: GEORGE HOOD  (Read 28643 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE HOOD
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 June 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Cando,
The George Hood you found between 1905-16 at Princes Street. Is this on electoral reg and does it give his occupation.

John

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 00:01 BST (UK) »
The information is from a Sands Directory....address only.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 00:44 BST (UK) »
Well  now John  if  you  feel  for certain  that John  and George are definately  brothers  then  perhaps  they arrived together in  South Australia?  Is  there details out  there for John Hood's arrival........I  note  I  couldn't google  anything  with  Riley as a middle name  just came up as John Hood. Could  not see his death  in NSw allthough  plenty of websites had when he died?

Cando  is  John Riley Hood's death registered in SA?

rgards Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:03 BST (UK) »
No Jenn nothing in SA but in NSW - the only John HOOD registration between 1920 and 1927 - there are only 3, with father Samuel.  Nothing at all in 1924.

10685/1926     
HOOD      JOHN R     
Father Samuel     
84 YRS Mental Hospital Ryde

What do you think...father's name is correct.

Cheers
Cando

Edit - No John HOOD death reg in South Australia  between 1915 and 1935.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:32 BST (UK) »
A couple of links to read -
 http://www.daao.org.au/main/read/3318
http://www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/noye/Colorist/Hood_j.htm

Australian Electoral Roll 1903 NSW
HOOD John 108 Wigram Road, Forest Lodge  Occ Artist
HOOD John 143 Darby Road, Honeysuckle Point  Occ Artist

John's son mentioned in the above articles

HOOD Samuel John 256 Pitt Street, Sydney  Photographer

Cheers
cando

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hello  there

John,  have  you  got a  funeral notice for George Hood died in 1915

perhaps  the  notice  may  hold further clues for  you.

George Hood was born  in  1824C

marries  for  the second time  in  1887  and has two  children  one is George Jnr born 1890c  but no  trace of registered births

now  that would  then have George Senior as 66  years old  when young George is born

Is  that all  correct John

if  it is Jane Golding/Low ?  would have had to have been a  lot younger anywhere between 15 and 50 to  have had children,  so she  might have remarried?

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 02:01 BST (UK) »
18461/1919 Ruth Hood. Father Alexander, Mother Harriet. Mosman
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 02:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be jumping about - trying to establish when and where George arrived in Australia.

http://www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/noye/Colorist/Hood_j.htm
http://www.daao.org.au/main/read/3318
John the article by the Art Gallery of SA refers to announcement in the newspaper the Register and it appears that John HOOD arrived in South Australia 1867/68,  We need someone to do a lookup of the shipping records in that period...unfortunately nothing online. 

Pity the author of the article on the Dictionary of Australian Artists didn't reference her source for his emigration in 1863...  I would take the Register reference to his impending arrival in 1867 and stating he had commenced work in Jan 1868 as being accurate.

The only way we are going to find out if the brothers arrived in Adelaide together is a look at the shipping record in 1867 early 1868.

Cheers
cando

Edit - Noticed that Sue and the marriages etc all noted in SA....checked in case a George HOOD may have married and had chn in SA...nothing.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 02:32 BST (UK) »
John Riley Hood was born in Derby on the 2.5.1841 and appears on the 1841 uk census with his parents Samuel and Elizabeth,brothers William, George, and twin brother James. By 1851 his father Samuel is living with another woman called Matilda with whom he has had a further two children and John is with them. By 1861 John is with his mother Elizabeth in London-artist painter born Derby.John being a very good artist was sent to Paris to develope his artistic natures with a view to going into the family business of designing ornamental railings and ballastrads. However, being over qualified he was commissioned by a French Drawing house to go to Adelaide Australia and work there. There he met Mary Martha Hubbe and had four sons. Mary died in 1881. John re-married a widow Ruth Wright nee' Dollman and had a furtherfour children with her. The Google ref is rather misleading and I believe is taken from when a book that was written about John. His father Samuel lived in Reading and died there in 1900 aged 94. John is also mentioned in his uncles will in 1893-a William Hood who was mayor and also lived in Reading. This research is bomb proof.
Hi John, yes the story of John Riley HOOD is certainly interesting - I'd not heard of him before.  Incidentally, when I Googled him yesterday, I found quite a lot of references - including at least one which indicated that the information in published accounts was, at least in part, defective.  That indeed seemed to be the case when I then had a quick check of censuses, FreeBMD and the NSW BMD.

As for George's first wife her name was Anne Murch. After Georges disapperance between 1861-71 she appears on the uk census in1881/91/1901-all as a widow. It appears George went to Australia between 1861-71 same time as his brother John. Hope this is not to long winded and possibly a litte interesting.
That's certainly interesting.

Keep asking me awkward questions guys as I may well be missing something.
Well, John, you asked for it  :)  ::)

1. It would be really good to see proof positive that George HOOD who married Jane GOLDING is the same person as George HOOD who married Anne MURCH and is the brother of John Riley HOOD.
Please understand that I'm not saying that they are not all one and the same person - just that, as far as I can see, there doesn't yet seem to be any clinching evidence.
A pity that Mayor William did not make a bequest to George!

2. The 1841 census did not give relationships.  So, unless you have marriage and birth information from other sources, there's no proof that Eliza was Samuel's wife, or that William, George, and twins James & John were sons of Samuel.  Of course, it's very very likely that they were (and especially as a John appears as Samuel's 9yo son in 1851) but I always think it a good idea to try to avoid assumptions.

3. Now a really awkward question.
If your George's age (91) at death in 1915 was correct, this gives a birth year of ca 1824.
However, the George whom you mentioned in the 1841 census was aged 7 i.e. a birth year of ca 1834.
You did not mention ages on the marriage cert of your George & Jane GOLDING - I take it they were not listed?
Also, you did not make any reference to anything on George's death cert which might indicate how long he'd been in Australia (perhaps NSW doesn't have this info?).
Cando's Jenn's suggestion of looking for a 1915 death/funeral notice is a good one.

4. Do you have a copy of the marriage cert of a George HOOD & an Anne MURCH in 1856 - might have relevant information?

Well, that will do for now ...

All the very best,

JAP