Author Topic: GEORGE HOOD  (Read 28646 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE HOOD
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 June 08 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Cando has clearly shown that the Victorian HOODs are a 'red herring'.

I have a peripheral interest in this because a great-aunt of mine (Jessie May HACKING) married a son (Frederick HOOD) of George HOOD & Jane HINSON.

It would seem to be very helpful if you could indicate what are known facts (with sources) and what are assumptions/speculations...

Perhaps, as a first step, it might help RootsChatters to help you if you were to post the details from:
*the 1887 marriage cert of George HOOD snr & Jane GOLDING
*the 1915 death cert of George HOOD snr (apart from medical details!)
and perhaps (though you might feel that this is a bit too recent?)
*the 1969 death cert of George HOOD junior.

Best of luck,

JAP

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 June 08 08:51 BST (UK) »
Cando/Jenn/Jap
Firstly would like to thank you for blowing this connection out the water. It has always been a thorn in my research. As suggested i have now put down for you guys to see where and how I went up this blind ally.

3/3/1887 Liverpool NSW-married in the Manse Liverpool
George Hood (widower)marries Jane Golding(spinster)-no parents recorded.
George's occupation PAINTER-Jane's occupation Governess in Deaf & Dumb Asylum.

18/8/1915
George Hood dies aged 91 in Princes Street Granville-occupation PAINTER. Parents Samuel & Bessie
The death was recorded by his son George Hood aged 25 of View Street Marrickville. Aslo shown on cert is that George (Sen) was born in Lancashire and married Jane Golding in Liverpool NSW. Children of marriage were George and 1 female deceased.

This is where I went wrong with the George and Jane in Collingwood as he was a painter as well!!!

George Hood (JUNIOR) Now is this the son???

George Hood (aged 24) wood machinist marries Ada Ethel Carnwell milliner (aged 29)-14.2.1914 St Clements Church Marrickville. GEORGES parents George Hood-boilermaker and Jane Samson.
Born Burwood Sydney. Usual address Marrickville.

George Hood dies aged 80-wood machinist of 38 Kitchener Road Earlwood. Place of birth Auburn NSW. Death is recorded by his son Roy Hood aged 50 of 15 Lucerne Ave Merrylands. Roy also confirms his father married Ada Carnwell in Marrickville and that children were Roy and Harold(48) However, he records his fathers parents as "unknown Hood" and Jane Low.

With all the help of you patient rooters can we link these two Georges in any way??

John

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 June 08 08:59 BST (UK) »
well John as there were only two George HOODS mentioned in the Sands Directories.... my thoughts... George Snr was definitely the one at Princes St...suburb named changed a couple of times...and son George at Marrickville.  And as I have said so often - information on death certs only as good as the knowledge of the informant.

Who were the witnesses on George Jnr marriage cert?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 June 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
Cando,
The witnesses were a Sidney James Taylor & Rose Anna Higgins-not much use I think.
I like you am sure that the two you found are mine but no evidence of births for George junior or sister or definate link to George senior.

Just as a side line, George seniors brother was a John Riley Hood, a famous Australian artists painter
and his son Samuel John has left the Nation Museum in Sydney over 20000 early photographs of Australia in her early days.

John

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 June 08 09:23 BST (UK) »
George Hood (aged 24) wood machinist marries Ada Ethel Carnwell milliner (aged 29)-14.2.1914 St Clements Church Marrickville. GEORGES parents George Hood-boilermaker and Jane Samson.
Born Burwood Sydney. Usual address Marrickville.

John  the  information on  the Marriage certificate  as you  no  doubt realise is  supplied  by the bride and  groom so  you  would have to assume  they  knew  the "facts"  of  their own situation  but  then again  people often  lie.

Cando  you  have asked  my  next question ;)

3/3/1887 Liverpool NSW-married in the Manse Liverpool
George Hood (widower)marries Jane Golding(spinster)-no parents recorded.
George's occupation PAINTER-Jane's occupation Governess in Deaf & Dumb Asylum

this is interesting as  he states he s a widower  Do  you  know  if  his wife back in England  had died  by  then?  

I  am  hoping someone with the  1903 electoral roll  for NSW may see this post and add  in  where  they  all were, could help  as  should say occupation

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 June 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
Jenn I have looked at my disc of the 1903 NSW electoral roll and George and Jane are not enrolled.

Cheers
Cando

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 June 08 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again John,

I am wondering what proof you have that artist John Riley HOOD (of London, South Australia and Sydney) was a brother of your George snr? - just to ensure that further blind alleys are avoided  :) .  I note that George snr was supposed to have been born in Lancashire whereas Googling indicates that John was born in Reading, Berkshire.

The following might be relevant:
A Charles GOLDING married a Mary A WHITNEY in NSW in
A Jane GOLDING was born in Liverpool NSW 1858, parents Charles & Mary A.
A Jane LOW died 1945, Auburn NSW, parents Charles & Mary Ann.

JAP

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 June 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Cando/Jap,
John Riley Hood was born in Derby on the 2.5.1841 and appears on the 1841 uk census with his parents Samuel and Elizabeth,brothers William, George, and twin brother James. By 1851 his father Samuel is living with another woman called Matilda with whom he has had a further two children and John is with them. By 1861 John is with his mother Elizabeth in London-artist painter born Derby.John being a very good artist was sent to Paris to develope his artistic natures with a view to going into the family business of designing ornamental railings and ballastrads. However, being over qualified he was commissioned by a French Drawing house to go to Adelaide Australia and work there. There he met Mary Martha Hubbe and had four sons. Mary died in 1881. John re-married a widow Ruth Wright nee' Dollman and had a furtherfour children with her. The Google ref is rather misleading and I believe is taken from when a book that was written about John. His father Samuel lived in Reading and died there in 1900 aged 94. John is also mentioned in his uncles will in 1893-a William Hood who was mayor and also lived in Reading. This research is bomb proof.

As for George's first wife her name was Anne Murch. After Georges disapperance between 1861-71 she appears on the uk census in1881/91/1901-all as a widow. It appears George went to Australia between 1861-71 same time as his brother John. Hope this is not to long winded and possibly a litte interesting.

Keep asking me awkward questions guys as I may well be missing something.

John

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 June 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi John -

Found that most interesting....

Cheers
Cando