Author Topic: Henry and Leah Norah (Lilly) Folland  (Read 13956 times)

Offline Wendy K

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry and Leah Norah (Lilly) Folland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello David Michael - I've just been sent your Roots.chat stuff about Henry and Lilly Folland ... I am Dudley Folland's daughter (so, obviously, Henry and Lilly's grandaughter).  My mother was Joy Hooper and was the first wife of Dudley.  I never knew my grandfather and was only 9 when my grandmother died, but I remember visiting my grandmother when she lived in the Lodge at Llwynderw before she died at my aunt's house in Surrey.  I have the oil painting portraits of my grandparents of which the identical ones graced the hospital in Glanamman (it used to be called the Folland Hospital).  Any way, would like to hear from you if you felt like it.

Offline sbodman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:54 BST (UK) »
Can I deviate somewhat from the original subject of this thread? 

My grandfather was called Henry Whitfield Williams and the family story is that he was a protege of Henry Folland.  My grandparents lived in Newton and I believe that Mrs Folland was my mother's godmother.  I have no relatives left to check the validity of this information but I understand that my grandfather was the company secretary for the steel works (but I'm not sure which one).  I'm fairly certain that he accompanied Mr Folland on a business trip to India at some time.

My grandfather left Newton some time in the 1930s and went to London where he was a director of a company called British Aero Pipe and Glass who, I think, made canopies for Spitfires.  Unfortunately he died very suddenly at the age of 48.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me more information about any of the above - was he really the company secretary?  Which steel works was it?  Has anyone heard of British Aero Pipe and Glass?  I've checked all of the usual places and can find no record of the company.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Sara
Bodman
Maker
Vernon
Cox
Brock - Lake, Wiltshire
John - Llanrhidian
Williams - Carmarthen
Morgan - Swansea

Offline Dave Michael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thomas Michael of Cwmamman 1858 - 1884
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 November 09 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sara,

If your Grandfather and Henry Folland were close associates, then it is likely that he would have attended Henry Folland's funeral. Sometimes local newspapers would list some of the more prominent people who attended a funeral and who they were eg: John Jones, manager of so and so works. I'm wondering whether you'd find some clues in either the Cambrian or Western Mail archives from Swansea Library. I'm not sure when he was buried unfortunately as he died in Egypt on 24th March 1926, and his remains were brought back to Swansea for internment.

Likewise, your mum may have attended Mrs Follands funeral which took place on 21st March 1957 and the same papers may hold some clues for you. Both are buried at Oystermouth cemetery.

I have checked our local newspaper archives and I'm afraid that on this occasion, the funerals were not covered. Good Luck with your research.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators is based at 16 Park Crescent London. It might have a record of your family member if he qualified as a company secretary.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline sbodman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the excellent suggestion David.  I found a report of the memorial service in the South Wales Daily Post for 30th March 1926.  My grandfather is listed in the mourners as Mr Whitfield Williams - Mr Folland's private secretary.  So, the family story does not appear to be quite right.  I shall try to investigate further.

Sara
Bodman
Maker
Vernon
Cox
Brock - Lake, Wiltshire
John - Llanrhidian
Williams - Carmarthen
Morgan - Swansea

Offline ESPED

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 December 09 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a "lost" relative Henry W Williams who seems to have been Henry Whitfield, born in Carmarthen about 1886. Mother Letitia Davies, father Thomas Williams. Was this person the Folland secretary? I am trying to compile a family history!

Offline Nigelwyn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 January 11 19:50 GMT (UK) »
My name is Nigel Thomas and I am the grandson of Granville Thomas (who was Lily's brother). My father (now deceased was his son).
I can remember walking round the grounds of Llwynderw when I must have been about 10 years old. I am 50 now. It must have been a convalescent home then, which was why we didn't go inside I suppose. My father showed me the stable where they would have kept the Arab stallion, and also the outer building where the Egyptian servant slept.
My mother still has some framed tapestries of Llwynderw.

Thanks Dave, a really interesting webpage.

Offline seankenny76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 May 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel - I am so happy to have seen your message. I am the granddaughter of Henry and Leonora. I knew that Thomas Folland had three children, your father, my grandmother and another daughter... but I knew nothing about the families. I would love to get in touch with you and find out about your families, and any other members of our family. Perhaps you are in touch with my cousin? She is the daughter of *, * (my father)'s sister. My exmail address is (*) and I would really love to hear from you, so do get in touch if you want. Would love to hear from you.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
John Craig from Roscommon and Catherine Keogh/Kehoe from Killmore, Wexford. Emigrated to Widnes, Lancashire in the 1880s.
John Kelly from Roscommon and Sarah Ann Woods from Bristol. Both were married in Widnes in the early 1880s and lived in the West Bank area of Widnes.
Peter Kenny from Dublin and Mary Kenny Nee Byrne from Dublin. Both emigrated to Liverpool in the 1870s and lived mainly around Mount Pleasant area of Liverpool.
Peter Kenny and Mary Ann Kenny Nee Dougherty of Everton, Liverpool.

Offline AJT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Nigel directed me to this website. He is my brother, and as grandchildren of Granville, Henry and Leah Norah Folland are our Great Uncle and Aunt, and Dudley is an uncle. I too remember visiting Llwynderw and being impressed by the gardens. We also have a photograph showing a very elegant 1920's family wedding at Llwynderw, all in full regalia; my guess is that it was taken in the orangery. Fascinating!