Author Topic: Ecclesiastical Parish Boundaries  (Read 2078 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ecclesiastical Parish Boundaries
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
I think that is the book I borrowed from my local library years ago.  :)

If purchasing it is out of the budget, borrowing it might be an alternative.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
I bought the CDs from  University of Essex, covering Eng & Wales. I bought them a good few years ago. I've still got them and used them earlier this year.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 October 18 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, I very much appreciate your replies.
The problem I'm trying to solve is the identities of ancestors in the mid c18 using parish registers.

Here is a classic one which sums it up. The family at that time were living around the Ecclesfield area(today Sheffield), but quite close to Rotherham .

Sarah Moorhouse baptised 17th July 1757 at St Mary Ecclesfield, father Joseph of Whiteley(an area to the west of Ecclesfield and clearly in that parish)

Burial, 3rd December 1775. Father Joseph, Masbrough Common "in the parish of Rotherham" written in the register, but buried at St Mary Ecclesfield.

Masbrough Common is to the east of Ecclesfield and quite close to the centre of Rotherham. Is it the same Sarah and the family had moved from Whiteley to Masbrough?

I was looking at the archives available in Sheffield for the Archdeaconry of Sheffield and burials from Masbrough start in 1871, so maybe earlier they were performed elsewhere?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 October 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Have you checked PRs for other Moorhouses in the area in case there are other Sarahs with father Joseph?

No occupation for Joseph I assume?

Added: Joseph is "of Whitley", but had he been living there with his wife and children?

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 October 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for delay but I got sidetracked with another aspect.

Basically I'm trying to understand if the two generations in the attachment are the same family. The children of Joseph are clearly all from the Whiteley area of Ecclesfield. Interestingly however, Sarah died in Masbrough "in the parish of Rotherham" but was still buried at St Mary's Ecclesfield parish.

In the next generation the children of Charles were mainly born in Masbrough and apart from the last 2 Sheffield baptisms were baptised in Rotherham.

Hope the attachments are clear

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 October 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Smithkei,
I have just had a quick look at your attachment so far, but something that may be worth considering relates to Elizabeth b 8-4-1788 .... in your comments section you mention she was the daur of Charles and Margaret. Did you see the original entry or just a transcript of this baptism? If abbreviated, Marg and Mary can often be confused, so you might like to look at the original and make your own judgement or post the image here for a second opinion or two.  :)

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 October 18 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. There are two original documents both transcribed and copyrighted by Find My past. One is clearly Margaret but another clearly Mary. I looked for marriages Charles Moorhouse and Margaret and found one 31 years before in Midlothian, the only one. So I believe its Mary in reality.