Author Topic: 'Matoaka-Sultana' 1854.Bridget & Anne Egan in Aus  (Read 6935 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Matoaka-Sultana' 1854.Bridget & Anne Egan in Aus
« on: Monday 23 June 08 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi. We know that my ancestor, Sarah Mc Veigh, born in Armagh Co. Ireland 1830; daughter of Patrick McVeigh and Maryanne nee Hatherton; travelled aboard the Matoaka-Saltana to Australia. The ship landed in Melbourne in May 1854, and by December 1854, Sarah had married a James Christopher Egan in Melbourne. On board the Matoaka were 2 sisters; Bridget Egan and Anne Egan. I cannot trace these two girls, and would love to know if they were in fact the sisters of James; who did a little match-making with Sarah and their brother James on arrival, or if in fact the three girls already knew each other, and had travelled together to be reunited with James. I cannot find the birth of James (father Thomas b c1802, a bootmaker, and mother Mary nee Harman). We believe that James was born in Dublin, Ireland. Does anyone out there know of the story, and indeed the family line of Bridget and Anne? Many grateful thanks to anyone who can help. Rap

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Matoaka-Sultana' 1854.Bridget & Anne Egan in Aus
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 June 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rap & welcome to RootsChat

From my own experience, researching folks in Ireland is somewhat difficult, you may get some help from the Irish County boards for that part of your query.

Where in Australia have you searched for the sisters Bridget and Anne. Finding a marriage or death for them in Australia may give a better chance to find any relationships. Do you have the marriage certificate for Sarah and James.? Were either of the girls witnesses?

There is a marriage in Victoria in 1854 for a Bridget Egan and some children born in NSW which may be theirs (NSW doesn't shown wife's surname). I can't see any possible children in Victoria. There are a number of possibilities for the name Anne  :( - three marriages at least

An Anne Egan married a Jonathan Pettit 1856
a Maurice Cleary 1856
and a Timothy Killeen 1859

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for taking the time to reply. I'm only in the initial stages of searching for Bridget and Anne ( her name may well be Mary as well...we think that officially, she was Mary Anne) I have certainly traced my ancestor Sarah Mc Veigh, and just recently, I've come in touch with her g grandaughter (who's a darling 80 years of age). The Matoaka connection between Sarah and the Egan girls only came to light last week. I'm lucky enough to live just around the corner from Sue and Greg Egan, who are the 'Aussie Gurus' of the Egan Clan. Their aim is to trace all the lines in Australia, and connect them back to their origins in Ireland. When I contacted Sue, she had a little more info on the Egan/McVeigh lines here in Australia...but was unable to give me anything on the 2 Matoaka sisters. There are 48 James Egans who came to Aust in 1852-60...about the same for the names Bridget and Anne/Mary..so we decided it would be quicker to trace the siblings of James back in Dubllin. Unfortunately, we cannot find a definite birth recording for James, Bridget or Anne/Mary. We can find Sarah and her parents, and also her shipping records, and sadly, her death at age 35 at the Yarra Bend Asylum, after the deaths of her 2 youngest sons. James, left with 4 little children under 10, and no mother or income, fostered the children out to families who would take them. These children (my great-grandmother was one of them), grew up not knowing and remembering their siblings, and where they were in Australia.  Two of the children were known by names that did not match their registered birth names..my ggrandmother called herself Madeline Kate..but her birth name was Catherine. We know that James roamed around central Victoria trying to find work, and that he did spend some time at Euroa working for a few years. We can't find his death as we can't pinpoint a place..there are quite a few James's who would fit him. I found it surprising that if these 2 Matoaka girls were his sisters, that they have not come up living or marrying near some of the places that we know James has been recorded...we don't know if they for example took on some/one of the children. Thanks for your interest and look-ups Trish. This is a mystery that needs to be solved. Kindest regards, Rap

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hello  thereRap

and welcome to Rootschat

Have you  had a  look  at theirassisted  immigration  record at ProVic at all,   that should  give  you  a clue as  to whether the two  were sisters or not?  I  cannot find an Anne  but found a  Mary? 

Also  just  confirming  please  James Egan parents  were Thoms Egan  and Mary Harman?

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 07:54 BST (UK) »
Jenn's already searching (as she does) and there are Victorian searchers around much better than myself, so I'm sure the extra information will help. As Jenn says, if you find the immigration & check the fiche, family groups are often together - although I have seen some where single males and single females are all listed separately  :(

Unfortunately, Victorian certificate images are not cheap, but it may also be worthwhile to check the one for Bridget, as it should give her parent names. I didn't see another Bridget Egan among the early marriages, so it may be your lass. Early Victorian certificates usually have all the relevant information (unlike NSW ones, which are often missing just what is needed!)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Rap,

Do you know when James Christopher Egan arrived in Australia?.

I'll have a look at the ships manifest for the Matoaka -Sultana - later today.
It's an assisted passage - so it's quite likely it will have a little more information.

I have a few Irish Ancestors and I have almost given up trying to trace them back to Ireland.

Sarra

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 05:37 BST (UK) »
I'm so very grateful to you Sarra, Trish and Jen for taking the time and interest in my 'journey' I'll try to answer all of your questions in one hit! I've had a good look at the shipping available to me on line, and I can only find one James who came to Australia on the 'Elizabeth', aged 22 in 1850. Of course, no second name is mentioned, and through elimination, I feel that this entry is a likely candidate. I think that James arrived alone..but it was his future wife Sarah Mc Veigh who arrived on the Matoaka in 1854, with 2 Egan girls who may have been related to James. I tried to order the marriage certif of James and Sarah..but there is no document available, just a record..so no registration of witnesses..which would solve the relationship of Bridget and Mary/Anne to James if they were present at the marriage..it may be worth a phone call to bdm in Melb. Yes, Trish, it may be worth while to order the marriage certif of the Bridget you found..good idea! Yes Jenn, the parents of James Christopher born 1827 in Dublin were Thomas Egan bc1802 (bootmaker), and a Mary Harman..although I have seen it in Greg Egans forwarded papers as 'Harma'..Mary Neilson (great grandaughter of James, says that it was definately Harman)I found the arrival of Sarah McVeigh and the Egan sisters on Pro Vic listings, but there is little further information. I have found the Irish Family History Foundation really great to find family..although it's incomplete. I can't find the birth of James there at all, but have found a church baptism for a Thomas in 1802 Dublin, which may well be James's father. I've also found on that site, a death of a Mary Ann McVeigh, which may well be Sarah's mother..the birth certificate which I do have of one of James's and Sarah's children, confirms the date of 1827 Dublin for James Christophers birth, and 1828 Armagh for the birth of Sarah McVeigh. It is there that I have met a brick wall !! Thankyou all for your time and effort. It's much appreciated. Kind regards, Rap.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 06:01 BST (UK) »
I tried to order the marriage certif of James and Sarah..but there is no document available, just a record..so no registration of witnesses..which would solve the relationship of Bridget and Mary/Anne to James if they were present at the marriage..it may be worth a phone call to bdm in Melb.

I had a similar problem just over twelve months ago but tried again recently [I don't give up easily] and bingo, suddenly there was a the complete page in the register.  Why not try again...perhaps there was a problem which has now been rectified. 

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 06:48 BST (UK) »
Rap,

As Cando  said - try again to get the marriage certificate.

Something similar happened to me a few months ago - I though that can't be right so I tried a few days later and was able to download the certificate I wanted.

Sometimes they have a problem with the site - I don't know why they can't display a message saying the site is down or what ever. :)

Rap,  James Egan's arrival on the Elizabeth 1850 - it looks like that was into NSW. Perhaps someone could check that ship's manifest for you.

Just off to check the Matoaka - Sultana - now.

Sarra