Author Topic: 'Matoaka-Sultana' 1854.Bridget & Anne Egan in Aus  (Read 6934 times)

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Matoaka-Sultana' 1854.Bridget & Anne Egan in Aus
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 07:20 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maddenps/

The Elizabeth 1850 is listed on Peter Madden's Emigrant Database
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
Rap,

From  -  Matoaka Nominal List - Disposal List.

Number - 226 - Mary EGAN - Calling - domestic servant- age 29 (single) - born - Clare - religion - Roman Catholic - read only - BY Whom Engaged - gone with her sister- address - to Eliz'h St. This indicates to me that Mary's sister was already in residence in Australia.

Number - 227 - Bridget EGAN -  Calling - domestic servant - age 20 (single)- born - Galway- religion - Roman Catholic- neither read/write. By whom engaged - Mr Littleton - Richmond - Date -19th June - Wages £20 - term 3 months - with rations.

Number - 314 - Sarah McVeigh - Calling - domestic servant - age 21 (single) - born - Armagh - religion - Roman Catholic - read only . By whom engaged - Arthur Davis/Davies - address - Strath ???? - date 31 May - Wages £40 - term 6 months - with rations.   I'm sorry I can't quite read the address.

I think we can say that Mary & Bridget Egan were not sisters - but who was Mary Egan's sister ?
Sarra

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 June 08 04:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks folks for all your hard work searching for me...there's some interesting stuff here !! Thanks Cazay for the lead to Peter Madden's Database..that has solved the James Egan 1850 Elizabeth problem..I don't think that it's my James. It states that this James was born in Lorrha ( I need to look further to find where this actually is...our James states place of birth as Dublin), and his parents parents were Patrick and Mary...mine Thomas and Mary.  I now have a new problem trying to find the entry point of James into Australia.. Thanks for your info Sarra..yes, it does look like Mary and Bridget were unrelated..and now I doubt connected to James..well directly anyway. I've found that it was not uncommon for people to arrive in Sydney (quite a few of my ancestor lines arrived there and moved down towards Victoria eventually looking for gold or work) Jame's first 2 children were born northern Victoria or Victoria/NSW border. Thanks Sarra for your advice to try again for the Egan/Mcveigh marriage certif....kids begin school hols tomorrow here, so I'll have to get in quick to have the computer to myself for a small amount of time anyway!!. Thankyou to you all. Kindest regards Rap.