Author Topic: Voter Lists  (Read 1907 times)

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Voter Lists
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 19:53 BST (UK) »
I found the death index of Verna Lowe. Her mother's maiden name was spelt as Bair instead of Beare. Verna had a brother names Roy and I have the information about him.

In the obit of Thomas are there any other names mentioned?

Ethel lived in Michigan when she emigrated from the UK in 1902 and I think that Thomas lived in Arizona but I don't remember if she lived there with him.

That is interesting about Dewey Bjork and something to look into. Where is Stambaugh?

Would passengers have passports in 1902 to travel from the UK to the US?

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thomas Henry Bassett Yelland's obit was in the Long Beach California Press-Telegram.  It says he was age 72, of 1525 Appleton St.  He died 20 Apr. 1953.  He was a native of England and was a copper miner at Bisbee, Arizona until coming to Long Beach in 1937.  He was survived by wife Isabell, son Roy, and daughter Mrs. Verna Lowe.

I also found an obituary for wife #2 Isabella, who died 22 Dec 1963.  Her obit was in the Long Beach Independent.  She was age 63, still living at 1525 Appleton St., and Roy and Verna are mentioned.

I think the Stambaugh mentioned in Dewey's obit was in Michigan, because no state was listed.

I found a passport for James Henry Beare, born Cornwall, Eng., on 13 Sep 1866.  His father was Thomas.  He lived in Ironwood, Michigan from 1892 to 1924.  Is that Ethel's father?  Maybe not, because I'm finding newspaper articles about James which don't seem to match up with Ethel.

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again for the information.

As far as I can tell that person isn't one of my Beare's but this one is on the Ellis island website.
 Robert Beare May 31, 1911. He married Phoebe Beare and is in the 1920 census at Wayne Michigan but she is a widow by the next one and as yet I haven't found a death for him.

Ethel was illegitimate.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Stambaugh is in Michigan.  This looks like her at Findagrave:

Birth:   1899  (This is off quite a bit from 1886)
Death:   Sep. 5, 1955
Stambaugh
Iron County
Michigan, USA

CEMETERY RECORDS say age 56.

HEADSTONE says mother. With Edward (grandson).

Burial:
Stambaugh Cemetery
Stambaugh
Iron County
Michigan, USA
Plot: Block 4 Lot 265

Record added: Jan 11 2008

Haven't checked 1920 & 1930 Michigan censuses (don't have access to latter).

Nick

McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 23:03 BST (UK) »
I think the Ethel Yelland of Stambaugh probably isn't the right one.  The 1930 Census in Stambaugh has Ethel Yelland who was born abt. 1899 in Wisconsin.  She was widowed and with daughter Muriel, age 5, and her parents, whose surname looks like Schleitwisler.  Guess it's just a coincidence that they have the same name and connections to the same state.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 23:18 BST (UK) »
Shelley,

You are no doubt correct...odd for a relatively small town...

In 1920 I found a Conrad Yelland boarding with the Schleitweilers in Stambaugh.  Dau Ethel is with them.

Back to the drawing board.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 June 08 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for looking.

I don't think that I will find Ethel until a 2nd marriage appears for her and I have no idea where it would have taken place, or even if she remarried.

The only places I have heard mention for her are when she arrived in 1902 as well as Galveston and Houston, Texas where the divorce papers were served in 1917 and Philadelphia in 1941.

She will have to remain a brick wall as most of my Beare's have done.