Author Topic: PROFFITT and GARDINER - Brailes  (Read 12151 times)

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PROFFITT and GARDINER - Brailes
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 August 14 08:53 BST (UK) »
Many, many thanks for all this.

Yes I had forgotten (I think I did know at one point) about the 1841 census.

Thanks for pushing my sister's female line further.

I had not really gone into William Overton's life. To be honest I have concentrated on my father's line (Thurman) and it was only when my sister had a DNA test done that she asked about the female line. I have tried to push the branches out as far as they would go and have not done enough to put the leaves on.

On looking into this I have discovered a William Overton was transported for 15 years for violent burglary as part of a gang of four on 23/3/1846. The bankrupt was probably another William Overton in Leamington who is down as a builder in the 1861 census.
Mary's youngest daughter was born in 1850 but no father is mentioned on the baptism whereas her two eldest do have William's name on the certificate.
It is not definitive but it does look like that is what happened to him.

As luck would have it the bloodline goes through Ellen. I will have to get her birth certificate to see if her father is mentioned, though the female line still runs up to Pheobe Mead.

Once again, many thanks,

Bob

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 August 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Oh gosh have you read the report of the robbery in the leamington newspaper It was a nasty affair though the report has its humorous moments like when the householder took his blunderbus out side his bedroom to be greeted by hos terrified servant imploring him not to shoot and later one of the robbers held the householder down and literally said "your money or your life" The description of the damage they did to his precious furniture and the sentimental property they took is rather harrowing o wonder the sentence was harsh. Three of them were sent together on the john Calvin but I can't find the fourth on that ship. I wonder what happened to him after that.
His little son was baptised just six days before he sailed,His wife was left with three tiny children(4,2,and a babe) to care for and we know had a child after he had left the entry in the baptism book makes no bones about it "..The illegitimate daughter of Mary Overton the hisband undergoing transportation abroad Thomas Bowen? Officiating Minister"
I wonder did she hope the father would take the family on with William out of the way. She earned her living as a laundress from the censuses.
Have you looked in the RO to see if there were bastardy papers for Mary Overton for the care of Ellen? If Mary was able to keep bread on the table with out asking for parish relief there may not be a record though. if there is the father will be named

Poor Mary having to live in the town with everyone knowing what had happened she was punished for his wrong doing.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 August 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Punishment in 1846 seems most unjust the report makes it clear who the ring leader was and that they had been to at least 4 pubs before the robbery and that it was William who tended the mans wounds and did not break the cabinet or rifle through its contents yet all four had the same sever sentence. There was no doubt that he was involved though his boots matched some of the footprints in the flowerbeds and the wounded man recognised him.
Did you see the information about William's father Samuel's military career? Poor man lost a leg at Talavera and was taken prisoner of war for 6 years in France. He must have been devastated by William's transportation too.
What an interesting family makes a change from the reams of ag labs with little or no information to find

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 August 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
I think I have had a couple of senior moments, I appear not to have successfully uploaded my last 2 replies so I'll have another go.

Thanks for all this.

I need to get another subscription to the News Archive, I saw the precis but not the full story.

Where did you get the ship name from? I tried and failed.

A William Overton was convicted of GBH at Warwick Assizes around 1885. I will have a look at the archive but I doubt it was the same man as convicts rarely could afford the return fare. So we have 3 William Overtons in the Leamington area, 1 went bankrupt, 1 was a burglar and 1 was a thug.

The child could have been the result of her needing some comfort, a man taking advantage of her, rape or she may have been forced to prostitution. I don't know and unlike at the time, she has my sympathy, not my moral judgement.

It is ironic that he was probably recognised because he tended to the injured man.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 August 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
The Newspapers are on FindMyPast if you pm me your e mail I'll send you a copy
The convict ship is on http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au and a bit more about him such as him earning extra days off by hard work and blotting his record by being awl for a couple of days are all found on
http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/overton/william/23979
If you get problems again I can send it if required
Samuel's military record is also on FindMyPast and a tree on An..ry has summarised it too look for public tree for Samuel Overton

Oh by the way the first child Fanny Elizabeth was born in 1842 and died in 1844 so the records on the Tasmania site saying he had two children were correct and Mary had two children at the time of his sentence one age 2 and the babe
Happy to help I am wondering if we trace the Overtons back they will link up to a second one on my tree Thomas OVERTON who married Sarah HAKESLEY in 1777 in Ufton Warwickshire

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Did you note that William's mother's maiden name was Hayward as was Mary's mother's? That could be how she ended up in Leamington. William's mom was born in Ladbroke so may have been a cousin to Mary's mom, or it could be a big coincidence.
I don't think they will link to the Ufton Overtons as Samuel was born in Ladbroke, 5 miles or so south west of Leamington in 1787 whereas Ufton is around 5 miles East of Leamington.
You may find that the William who went bankrupt was of that line but Overton seems to have been a common name and the 1861 census has him as born in Kenilworth. There was a William Overton born in Ufton and working as a servant on a farm in Hampton Lucy, Warwickshire, 1851. By 1861 he had married Esther and still living in Hampton Lucy in 1871. There is a William living in Ufton in 1841 but not part of a family group. He was an Ag Lab. There is a William baptised 10/10/1824 in Ufton, parents Thomas and Jane.

Children of Thomas & Mary in Ufton from FamilySearch
I don't entirely believe FS so if you are interested I would go back to the baptism record to check.
Mary Bapt 21/2/1779
Richard Bapt 4/3/1787
Diana 29/11/1789
Elizabeth bapt 14/9/1781

There was also a Sarah baptised in Binley 25/12/1782 to a Thomas and Sarah who died 28/3/1787.

Bob

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Bob all this is far out on the twigs of my tree  but I'll try to explain what I know:
Thomas Overton was born 1759 in ufton son of Richard and Ann. He married Sarah HAKESLEY (the Hakesleys are on my direct line but Sarah is a cousin of my direct ancestor sharing grandparents) Sarah was born in Wolfhampton in 1759 Thomas and Sarah had children in Ufton between 1777- 1789. so well and truly based in Ufton. But my map shows Ladbroke to be just 3 miles from Ufton so I don't think we can dismiss a link to the two families. Where are you looking I have Ladbroke about a mile south of Southam and Ufton about a mile  east of Southam. both about 5-7 miled East of Leamington not huge distances in those times when men often walked 10 miles to work daily
I had noted the Haywards but as yet haven't located Mary's Mum's birth place and sadly she died before appearing on a census all I know is she married in Steeple Barton. AND Mary Proffit William Overton's wife was from Middle Barton,The Bartons are close to each other in fact they share a church so if we only go on baptisms marriages etc it will look like everyone was from Steeple Barton where the chuch was my direct ancestors the Allens were the blacksmiths in Middle Barton.
My Great great grandmother Eliza Allen'ssister Ann married William Proffet brother of Mary Proffet who married William Overton the convict
I'll keep looking  :)
H.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
Do you think that Elizabeth and Sarah Hayward were sisters daughters of John and Catherine nee Lidbrook? I think it very likely

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 August 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Wey hey bells and whistles I am pretty sure I have linked my Thomas Overton and our William Overton
Itall goes on the proximity of Ufton and Ladbroke a distance of 3 miles I suggest is insignificant for the dates we are interested in.
It goes like this:
Thomas Overton married Sarah Hakesley in Ufton on 12 Dec 1777...[Sarah is on my mother's tree]
He seems to be baptised in Ufton 12 Nov 1749 son of Richard and Ann Overton.
Richard and Ann had 9 children baptised in Ufton one being William 9 Sep 1753 nothing else turns up in Ufton registers for a William born about 1753 but three miles away in Ladbroke
William married Elizabeth WARREN 26 Aug 1776  if this is the same William he would have been 23 not a bad age. This William amd Elizabeth had 9 children in Ladbroke one being Samuel baptised 27 Feb 1785 and married Elizabeth HAYWARD 25 Sep 1817 in Near by Leamington priors they had four children in LP. Their first child was William who married Mary Proffit and was transported.
Mary Proffit os on my father's tree. So if this is all correct it links my paternal line to my maternal line and just before I go to meet one set of my cousins  wow
What do you think is it a stong enough argument?

mcmullin.me.uk