Author Topic: Landscape Artist  (Read 6795 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Landscape Artist
« on: Tuesday 24 June 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
My 4x great grandfather Joseph Clegg (b Manchester c1829, died Preston 1875) was a landscape artist. I don't know much about him, and would like to know what exactly a landscape artist would have done in those days. I know that his oldest child was born in London c1850, so he may have been down there for his job.

I have two theories -

1. He was an artist and was in London to sell some of his paintings. I can't find anything about him on the Internet, so I assume he was probably an amatuer painter, or

2. He "painted landscapes" - either painting pictures of people's gardens for them or drawing designs for a gardener.

Which of the two is more likely? And would any possible paintings be in existance today? I would love to see some of his work, especially as he is the first artist I've found in the family tree.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Landscape Artist
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
Going by censuses 1851-1871, he was a painter, rather than what we would now call a landscape architect.  The addresses he appears at suggest that he wasn't particularly well-off (I know Preston quite well and these aren't streets where wealthy Victorians lived) - also there are no live-in servants with the family on any census. 

You could try e-mailing the Harris art gallery in Preston to ask if they know anything about him.

http://www.harrismuseum.org.uk/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 13:32 BST (UK) »
I'm from Preston myself and didn't think of emailing the Harris Museum, so thanks for the idea.

Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 14:43 BST (UK) »
I have just been having a look through The Preston Guardian in  19th century British Newspapers (free trial from here:

http://access.gale.com/gdctrial/index.html

if you haven't already tried it.)

There are a few references to Joseph Clegg of 29 North Road, Preston as being the Registrar of Marriages for the district of the Preston Union.

Your Joseph doesn't appear at this address on any census, although he is at 273, North Road in 1861.  However, in 1867 there is death notice for "Annie, eldest daughter of Mr Joseph Clegg, registrar of marriages" "in the 17th year of her age"

I notice that there is a 10 year old daughter Annie in your Joseph's household in 1861 , who is not there in 1871.

There isn't another Joseph Clegg listed in Preston censuses as being a registrar, so possibly the artist and the registrar are the same chap.  This is perhaps something that the records office at Bow Lane could help you with.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
I have just been having a look through The Preston Guardian in 19th century British Newspapers (free trial from here:

http://access.gale.com/gdctrial/index.html

if you haven't already tried it.)

There are a few references to Joseph Clegg of 29 North Road, Preston as being the Registrar of Marriages for the district of the Preston Union.

Your Joseph doesn't appear at this address on any census, although he is at 273, North Road in 1861. However, in 1867 there is death notice for "Annie, eldest daughter of Mr Joseph Clegg, registrar of marriages" "in the 17th year of her age"

I notice that there is a 10 year old daughter Annie in your Joseph's household in 1861 , who is not there in 1871.

There isn't another Joseph Clegg listed in Preston censuses as being a registrar, so possibly the artist and the registrar are the same chap. This is perhaps something that the records office at Bow Lane could help you with.

Thanks for the information. Clegg doesn't seem too common a surname in Preston, so they could very well be the same Joseph.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
I've just had a reply from the Harris Museum, and the two Josephs are the same. The following is from the email -

I have had a quick look through Preston trade directories of the time (a pre-cursor to our Yellow Pages). Joseph Clegg first appears in the 1865 volume as a, ‘artist and registrar of marriages’ living at 29 North Road. He is the only person with that name. By 1869 he is listed as a ‘shopkeeper’ at 132 North Road and appears as the same in the 1874 volume. A Joseph Edward Clegg appears in the 1877 volume as ‘compositor’ living at 6 Frenchwood Street, who may be some relation. 

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
Swift work from the Harris! It's always pleasing to be told one is right  :) .

Hope there's more to be found.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

Here's an item about a Clegg who was in a similar field ...

"Clegg's 24 Views of Rossendale" was published by T. Clegg who was a photographer
and art dealer in Rawtenstall circa 1885 www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/lit/45116.shtml

Christopher

Offline rogre-ogre

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 December 10 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen

Just come across your post regarding Joseph Clegg and found it very interesting.  My GG Grandmother was an Elizabeth Clegg who married John Cross in Preston in 1879.  Very little is known about Elizabeth, so I am busy trying to trace her.  According to the 1881 census, she was born in Hulme c1859, in future census records she just names her birthplace as Manchester.  Because the Clegg/Cross family are Catholics I am struggling to find parish records for them.  The closest birth I have found for Elizabeth is a Lizzie Clegg, registered Sep qtr 1858 in Chorlton (I believe Hulme is a subdistrict of Chorlton).  This Lizzie Clegg seems to be the daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Clegg, with Joseph recording himself as a landscape painter.  Joseph, Elizabeth and children (including Lizzie) are at 273 North Rd Preston in 1861 and 41 Pole? St, Preston in 1871.  Do you have any further information that may help me to work out if my GG Grandmother, Elizabeth Clegg, is the daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Clegg?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Sarah
Brisbane, Australia