Author Topic: CHURCHWARD help, please  (Read 5743 times)

Offline SROSSJACK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHURCHWARD help, please
« on: Tuesday 24 June 08 19:01 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I asked for help with my search and the great people on here helped put me in the right direction. But a while back I hit a brick wall and I now think I followed the wrong line ???

Apologies for the lengthy thread :-[ :-[

My g-grandparents are Irene Violet Golledge (1898, Taunton) and Alfred William or William Alfred Churchward (1897, Newton Abbot). When I traced them intially I found AW/WA's parents were William and Ellen (nee Bowering)Churchward. But now I'm not so sure I was following the right line. So after speaking  to a grt aunt I know AW/WA had a sister called Florence and she married her sister-in-law's brother Percy Golledge and that Florence and AW/WA's mother was Spanish and Ellen Bowering is registered as a Devon birth and certainly doesn't sould Spanish!?!? So I am waiting on the marriage cert of Percival N Golledge and Edith Florence Churchward, Jul-Sep 1922, Newton Abbot, 5b 357, in the hope that it will give my their father's name and might put me back on track.

I since found her birth details:
Edith Florence Churchward
Newton Abbot 5b 118
July-Sept 1901

I need to know is the name of her parents and any possible siblings. I believe she only had a brother called Alfred William or William Alfred as my grt aunt thought so, but perhaps other siblings could have died I'm not sure!!  Any advice appreciated.
Audrey
 ???

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Churchward help, please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

You appear to be doubtful that you have the right parents for Alfred William so would it not be easier to just get a copy of his birth certificate.  That will give you his parents names and his mothers maiden name?  A copy of the 1917 marriage between Alfred and Irene will only give you his fathers name

Births Sep 1897 

Churchward  Alfred William     Newton Abbot  5b 133

As Edith Florence was born after the 1901 census it is not possible to link her to Alfred via census info

The 1901 has no William Churchward b 1896-1898

There are 3 Alfred Churchward entries

1895 Stoke Gabriel - lots of siblings
1900 Buckfastleigh - lots of siblings
1898 Torquay - sister Caroline aged 2 (birth reg as Mary Caroline)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SROSSJACK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW
I am doubtful if I have followed the right line. The problem is Churchward is a very common name in Devon and Cornwall.
I am waiting on the marriage cert but as you say it will only give me the father's name.
Also now that I have Edith Florence's birth details I can send for the birth cert for her, which will hopefully fill in more gaps.
As for Albert I'm not sure which one he is, and in fact his daughter, my great aunt, is sure his name was William and there are a lot of Alfred Williams and William Alfreds.
So who knows if we'll ever get to the bottom of this...
Thanks again
Audrey

Offline SROSSJACK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 08 01:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your input with this.
I have the marriage cert and it shows father as William Churchward, furniture remover.
I now have details of Edith Florence Churchward's birth and a m waiting the birth cert to tell me her mother's name. Maybe then I'll be step forward and will know if I had the right family all along.
Regards
Audrey

Offline sarahofford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 08 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,

I am also researching the churchward family name as Alfred William Churchward is my great grandfather.

I'm interested to know if you have made any progress with Irene Golledge? I'm intrigued to dig further with her as it appears that she and her husband (Robert) seperated between the 1881 and 1891 census.

Anyway, it seems you are making more progress than me. I would be keen to exhange notes with you.

Sarah Offord
(my grandfather was william churchward)

Offline SROSSJACK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
Sarah
We have a very close link through this family. Is your mum called Jackie and do you have an aunt sue, uncle Billy and uncle Damian?
If so, your granfather Bill was my gran Betty's sister. How exciting.
I do have a very detailed tree, but there are all sorts of mysteries that have arisen. Are you aware of any stories about a Spanish Grandmother?
Great to hear from you.
AudreyX
please contact me on my email MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

Offline SROSSJACK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
sorry that should have said brother!!! I was just so excited.
Ax

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 00:49 GMT (UK) »
If you ever find a connection with the Churchward family of Brixham Devon please let me know as I have some certificates which may be of interest
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Beverley Parkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHURCHWARD help, please
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 May 15 12:05 BST (UK) »
hi, I have just joined this and saw your post, don't know if are family is the same churchwards, but thought I would try, my great grandmother was a Ellen Churchward and her daughter my gran was Mary CarEoline, she married Thomas John Rule. I believe Ellen was Spanish. The address I have on my grandparents marriage certificate is, 66 Barewell cottages st. marychurch or BAMEWELL. Thomas lived at HAMPTON HOUSE ST. MARYCHURCH, My grans father was called, WILLIAM FREDERICK, my gran was 21 years old when she married on the 17th april 1915