Author Topic: MI's for Kirkmaiden, Stoneykirk and Kirkmadrine  (Read 92169 times)

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MI's for Kirkmaiden, Stoneykirk and Kirkmadrine
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 17 October 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rapunzel,
Here is the MI I think for John Gibson and Sarah McCulloch
Erected by the family in loving memory of their father John GIBSON who died at Cairn in this parish 17th Octr 1873, aged 61 years. Also their mother Sarah McCULLOCH who died at Cardryne 31st July 1899 aged 84 years. Also Peter GIBSON, grandson of Alexander GIBSON who died at Low Drummore 8th Sept 1921 aged 27 years. Also Hellen REYNOLD beloved wife of Alexander GIBSON who died at Low Drummore 13th January 1923 aged 75 years. Also Janet, daughter of Alexander GIBSON who died 6th Dec 1926 aged 47 years. Also the above Alexander GIBSON who died 20th July 1933 aged 83 years.
"I am the resurrection and the life" John 11.25. "O Death, where is thy sting, O grave where is thy victory". 1st Corinthians 15.55'

J. STEVEN (Sculptor)
Milwain, McTaldroch, McCulloch, McMillan, McCracken, Muir/Moore, Hill, Little,
McGaw, Kirkmaiden/Stoneykirk
Carmont Isle of Man/Liverpool/ Manchester
Hines, Mulvey Ireland/Manchester

Offline Rapunzel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 17 October 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Beannie,
Thanks for the MI info. This Gibson-McCulloch MI is for my great grandparents and seems to be the last definite connection to the McCulloch branch. If you ever come across an MI for an Anthony McGuffoc or Agnes Campbell, I would be delighted if you let me know,

Regards

Rapunzel

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
  • "Cuimhnich air na daoine on tàinig thu."
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 09 January 10 02:02 GMT (UK) »
hi folks,  a happy new year.  :)
 I'm very hopeful that your offer still stands and that you may have some McMILLANs & QUIRKs amongst your collection of MIs for Kirkmaiden.  By any chance do the parents John & Agnes McMillan and maybe brother & wife Mathew QUIRK & Mary MAXWELL show up in your records?  It's very early i know and if they did have stones - if indeed they were still living there when they died - they may well be worn away by now, but i live in hope.    I know I'm scraping away in the dark here, but maybe by picking away at it I'll finally come on something that'll give me a breakthrough

I don't know if the Mathew QUIRK living in Kirkmaiden, was Agnes's brother or not, as they don't appear in the iGI.  I'm just hoping i might find clues that may help confirm what little i have

I'm pretty certain i've tracked my McMillans back to this couple & their kids:
John McMILLAN & Agnes QUIRK    IGI: c118902
HUGH McMILLAN chr.18 NOV 1778 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, WIG
MARTHA McMILLAN b.27th; chr.30 OCT 1780    "   "
male McMILLAN b.26th; chr.31 JUL 1782        "   "
JAMES McMILLAN chr.11 AUG 1783                "   "       
AGNES McMILLAN b.5th; chr.9 JAN 1786        "   "
ANTHONY McMILLAN b.7th; chr.10 JUL 1788    "   "
WILLIAM McMILLAN b.15th chr.18 NOV 1790    "   "

I think Hugh is mine and settled as a mariner in Port William judging by his 1841 & 1851 censuses.  however, if you were to spot a Hugh McMillan dead in his parents grave, it would suggest I'd found the wrong Hugh.  I live in hope  ;)

I'm hoping that these may be my Agnes's family, perhaps her brother,   
Mathew QUIRK & Mary MAXWELL
MARGARET QUIRK - chr.28 MAR 1780 Stoneykirk, Wigtown, Scotland
MARIA ANN QUIRK - chr.2 AUG 1781 Kirkmaiden By Drummore, WIG
MARGRAT QUIRK  - chr.1 AUG 1782     "   "
WILLIAM QUIRK - chr.22 JUL 1783       "   "
PETER QUIRK - chr.5 AUG 1784          "   "
MATTHEW QUIRK - chr.22 APR 1786  "   "
WILLIAM QUIRK - chr.20 APR 1788     "   "
JOHN QUIRK - chr.20 APR 1788       "   "
ALEXANDER GORDON QUIRK - chr.10 JUN 1790     "   "
MATHEW QUIRK - chr.12 JUL 1791                      "   "

I found these Kirkmaiden deaths but no other info. but hopefully it will help, perhaps if there was an age as well.
Quirk William     Clanard     23 Oct 1784, a child
Quirk Matthw    Clanord     25 May 1786
Quirk Mary Ann  Clanard     29 Feb 1789

1841 census Mochrum WIG Vol.892 ED2 pg.20 - transcr.
Addr.: Port William Village, Mochram WIG
Hugh McMILLAN 60yrs; b.c.1781 WIG    Occ: Mariner
Agnes McMILLAN 25yrs; b.c.1816 WIG
Margt McMILLAN 20yrs; b.c.1821 WIG
Janet McMILLAN 15yrs; b.c.1826 WIG
with Walker family

1851 Old Luce WIG; 894 ED:2 p.6  sch.18
Address:    Staer Haven Inn, Old Luce, Wigtownshire
Hugh McMILLAN, 70 b.c.1781 Kirkmaiden, WIG; Visitor, Occ. Mariner
with Innkeepers family &c

Thank you for your time and trouble   :)

le durachd

Fionnghal
SCT SW Mc*Linden McSevney McMillan Riddick Martin Blackwood Hamilton
ABD Robertson Jackson Norrie
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
DEV Jutsum Salter Northcott
FIF Lumsden Braid Lees Morice
HAM Piper Beavis Paskins Cole/s
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes
ROX Davidson Leck Halliwell Middlemis/t Turnbull
ENG SE LaRoche McGreal/Grail Beavis Clark/e Fitzmaurice Keens
YKS Appleyard Tyas Chester
IRE Mc*Linden McSevney McTeague Fitzmaurice McGrael
LOOK-UPS Carrbridge cem.

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 10 January 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fionnghal
I'm sorry there are no MI's for John McMillan and Agnes Quirk. I haven't any info on where or when they were born.Their son William married my 7x Greatgrandmothers sister Isabella Milwain and they had 4 children, William died in 1818, this his his MI from Kirkmaiden Kirkyard
Erected by Isabella MILWAIN in memory of her husband William McMILLAN late Smith at Drummore who died 10th October 1818 in the 28th year of his age. The above Isabella MILWAIN died 6th Jany. 1865 aged 72 years.
There are a few Mi's for their children if you would like these also let me know.
I think this is William's brother James
Erected by John, James, Anthony and Andrew McMILLAN in memory of James McMILLAN their father, who died at High Drummore 3rd of March 1829 aged 45 years. The above James McMILLAN, Draper, died in Manchester 30th Sept 1843 aged 33 years. Andrew McMILLAN, Draper died in Liverpool on 3rd September 1848 aged 33 years. Isabella McKITTRICK their mother died at High Drummore 5th May 1866 aged 77 years. Also Anna McMILLAN wife of W.S. MUIR died at Damnaglaur 30th Jany. 1899 aged 72 years.
There are no Mi's for any Quirk in either Kirkmaiden or Stonekirk.
I haven't done much on the McMillan's, so you've just given me a push, will have to find out more now.
I'm sorry I can't help with what you needed, let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
Kind Regards
Beenie

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 11 January 10 02:10 GMT (UK) »
hi Beannie
Nice to hear from you.  I'm not 100% sure that they are the parents of my Hugh McMillan, though it does seem fairly possible.  Do you have any idea what John McMillan's occupation was? 
Unfortunately, my Hugh & Jannet didn't give any of their kids a Quirk or Whirk middle name which would have been very handy.

I suppose there are no MI's for the Whirk or Quhirk spelling? or Mc/MacQuirk or Mc/MacWhirk?  Even without the Quirk/Whirk variation, i've found an incredible amount of variety for such a wee name   :)  I think must have gone through a spell of being interchangeable - mainly because folk were illiterate. 

When i manage to confirm whether or not our Hugh is their son, I'll come back to you about the other MI's you have if you don't mind  :).   We could exchange info then.  And when this snow releases me from the house, I'll order up the Kirkmaiden film and have a close look at that.  Although the LDS appear to have transcribed much of it, i always like to have my own look at it.   it won't be the first time i've found missed information so you never know  :)

That Mathew Quirk i spotted that's the right generation to be Agnes Quirk's brother; I noticed it was a popular name on the Isle of Mann too.  Not surprising considering their proximity.  But no Agnes appearing there unfortunately. 

Thanks for the info.  i'll keep you posted if i come on anything else

le durachd

Fionnghal
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes
ROX Davidson Leck Halliwell Middlemis/t Turnbull
ENG SE LaRoche McGreal/Grail Beavis Clark/e Fitzmaurice Keens
YKS Appleyard Tyas Chester
IRE Mc*Linden McSevney McTeague Fitzmaurice McGrael
LOOK-UPS Carrbridge cem.

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia,
                              I am not sure if I have gone about this the right way but I am trying to find any trace of the parents of Gilbert MILES.   

Gilbert MILES was Christened on 13 OCT 1811, at Kirkmaiden By Drummore, Wigtown, Scotland. His parents were recorded in the Parish register as WILLIAM MILES and GIRSAL JENKIN (Married name MILES).

I am remember finding William listed in the 1841 in a Workhouse nearby (possibly from the census) and I think there was a mention of his wife having died in Kirkmaiden around the same time but I can't locate the papers or where I found this reference. Very frustrating. I am hoping someone may have a list of names for the area that may mention their names, or MILES family in general?

Any help would be much appreciated

STURDY
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline beannie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 14 May 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi STURDY,
I have found William and Grace on the 1841 census for Kirkmaiden
3 Low Kildonnan
William    Miles 72 Agricultural labourer born Ireland
Grace      Miles 74                                  born Wigtownshire
Elizabeth Miles 40
Peter       Miles 11
John        Miles 11

from the OPR deaths for Kirkmaiden
William Miles Kildonnan 13 January 1850
James Miles High Drummore 23 Nov 1799
no name Miles Drummore 9 January 1847

The only MI I can find is this one for Margaret Miles, William and Grace's daughter I think;
Erected by Grace NEILSON in memory of Margaret MILES her mother who died 4th Feby. 1878 aged 79 years. Grace NEILSON who died at Drummore 18th Decr. 1901 aged 78 years.

There are several Miles on the 1851 census
http://www.dgcommunity.net/historicalindexes/census.aspx
I hope this helps, do you have info on all their children, I will help if I can
Kind Regards
Beenie

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 15 May 10 03:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Beanie for the reply and offer of assistance.

I am descended from Gilbert MILES who was christened the son of William and Girsal (aka Grace) MILES (nee JENKIN) at Kirkmaiden by Drummore back on the 13th Oct, 1811. Gilbert went on to marry in Gorbals, Glasgow and died around 1851? His wife and children then came out to Australia.

The name MILES does not seem to be common in Wigtownshire (Drummore?). I am confident his parents were the ones (Grace 74 & William 72) listed in the 1841 census for Kirkmaiden. In 1851 William is listed as 88 and living with his son's family on Stoneykirk Rd (within Stranraer).   His son William had married a Janet WILSON back in 1841. I tend to think this is the William MILES listed in the OPR deaths you mentioned at Kildonnan in 1850. The old man must have been living there or moved in to help with the surviving wife and children?

I am very interested to know what had to 88 year-old William after 1851 and what became of his wife Girsal (Grace) MILES between her appearance on the 1841 census and her non-appearance on the 1851 census?

The Margaret you mentioned from the MI's what cemetery was she buried at?, I am confident this would be a sister of my Gilbert MILES.   

If you have anything on the other siblings Elizabeth born 1797, Alexander born 1809, William born 1806, John born 1804, James born 1802 it would be very much appreciated.

Again many thanks, regards Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 29 July 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
hi Beannie, on the question of Agnes Quirk/ McWhirk &c, John McMillan's wife, looking at various ways the name could have evolved, i suspect the name McHarg may well be the same name in another guise.  I've found a lot of convolutions for that name  :-\

Also, i've found another possible sibling for my Hugh / your William McMillan.  It is only a possibility mind.  I haven't seen the OPR film yet and I'd want to before making a more positive decision; this is merely an entry that has been listed by the LDS but i think it has possibilities and  worth bearing in mind till such times as it can be proven one way or another.
Knowing how easily the Mc got knocked off names back then...
John Millar chr 31 March 1777 Kirkmaiden by Drummore WIG
son of John Millar & Agnes Quirk
I've found no other kids for them and they fit in at the beginning of the queue of subsequent births in our family quite neatly.  Still haven't found a marriage for them which is no help at all.    Just a thought

le durachd

Fionnghal
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes