Author Topic: Eleanor White born c1810 Queens Co.  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
Eleanor White born c1810 Queens Co.
« on: Wednesday 25 June 08 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is my first posting, and I am hoping that I may be able to find out some information on my ggg grandmother Eleanor White who was born in Queens County Ireland

Eleanor White was born in Queens Co. Ireland c1810 according to her death certificate which shows her father's name as Christopher White (occupation Saddler) and her mother's name Mary. She died in Lara, Victoria (Australia) on 11th May 1897.

We have been unable to find out much about her life prior to arriving in the Colony of Victoria  (at that time part of New South Wales) in 1839.   Sorry that my information is so vague,  ::)  some family members believe that her family in Ireland may have had a cherry orchard but I can't verify that fact, nor do I know whether it would assist in finding anything out about her prior life.  We also believe that she may have been Catholic, even though she married in a protestant church.

She married William Duggan in 1845 in the Presbyterian Church in Geelong, Victoria - and had 7 sons. On the marriage certificate she spelt/signed her name as "Elenor White" rather than Eleanor     

Any help or any clues on how to search for any info. at all on Eleanor's life prior to arriving in Victoria, Australia in 1839 would be greatly welcomed.  Thanks in anticipation   :) :)
Duggan, William - Wales c.1795, Australia
White, Eleanor - Queens Co. Ireland c.1810
Aspinall, Alexander - Lancashire
Beardsell, Jonas - Huddersfield, Yorkshire
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Cochrane, Mary Ann- Agadowey, Derry, Ireland - 1835
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Cann, Eliza - Grantchester, Cambridge - 1839
Tait, Christopher - Delting, Shetland - 1854
Johnson - Shetland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor White born c1810 Queens Co.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 16:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but in order to trace the family in Ireland you not only need to know their religion but where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 08 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your advice...I thought as much, like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Unfortunately the only information we have on Eleanor White  prior to her arriving in Victoria in 1839 was derived from her death certificate which as per my original post is:

Born c1810 Queens County, Father - Christopher White / Mother - Mary
Fathers occupation - Saddler.

Vague as all outdoors unfortunately, the only other family heresay was that her family were organ builders and she was brought up in a convent.  (Despite the fact that her father's occupation on the death certificate shows as Saddler). No real information of substance I'm afraid.  So it looks like this is where my quest to find out any further  information on Eleanor's life in Ireland may fall flat.  :'(

We don't even know what ship she arrived in to reach our sunny shores, and even though her death certificate places her in Victoria in 1839, thats not to say she didn't arrive in Australia much earlier than that.   So how did she get here, where did the ship disembark, the mystery remains ?

Maybe one day we might stumble across a thread of information.  Until then we'll keep trying.  After rearing 7 sons, mostly on her own in the mid 1800's she deserves to be followed up on and recognised  :)
Anderson, William - Ballyrashane, Londonderry, Ireland 1802, Australia,Vic,Tasmania
Langford, Richard - Brierley Hill, Stafford/Blakedown, Hagley, Worcester, NZ, Aust.
Johnson - Shetland

Offline willhyland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi. I found a Christopher White at Castle St. Rathdowney in 1849.There were hundreds of Whites in the county,some of whom were friends and neighbours of my family.They were more than likely descendants of what are termed as Cromwellian "adventurers".There is a list of them on line taken from the book "The Cromwellian Settlement of Ireland" by J.P.Prendergast,look under "Cromwellian adventurers" on Google.These were Brits who invested money in Cromwells army in the 1650s in return for land taken from the Irish.If I knew your e-mail addy I would send a download from the book which shows Henry White of Southwark in London,exactly the same place as my possible ancestor Samuel Hyland.Good luck ,Bill

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 08 02:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bill, that's great, at last a thread of hope in finding something out about Eleanor White and her life in Ireland or at least the historical background to the White family's existance in Ireland.  ;D

What was the source of the information on Christopher White being in Castle Street Rathdowne in 1849 ?    If I was able to find out what his occupation was it may give a clue as to whether he may be a possible link to Eleanor.  I will check out "The Cromwellian settlement of Ireland".  It sounds like the likelihood of being descendents of "Cromwellian Adventurers" is a strong possibility.  I am no expert in names, but the name "White" never struck me as being Irish.  Even though I want to be linked to my Irish ancestors.   :)
Do you and your family still live in the county?

Thanks for giving me encouraging information to help with my ongoing search  :-*    ;D
Johnson - Shetland

Offline willhyland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 June 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
Aussiegirl,your internet provider has blocked my e-mails to you,saying that you are over-subscribed.Don't know how to overcome this problem.Bill ???

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the information you sent me, I am extremely grateful.  As I mentioned I am not sure what the problem was with my service provider.  I have unlimited usage and it is not capped.   ::)

The info.you provided has sent me on a trail to finding out more about Eleanor White born c1810.  I will follow up with the Rathdowney Whites and keep you informed of the outcome.   Thanks again  :) :-* Best Regards from Aussielass
Johnson - Shetland

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 July 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Rathdowney Church of Ireland gives
White Charles & Johanna,
no dates or other information.
Perhaps a call to the Rector, or a letter may provide information.
Rector; Ven. John Murray The Rectory, Rathdowney, Co Laois
0505-46311
Jack

Offline Aussielass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rooney the Wonder Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 July 08 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack, thanks for the advice, it's well worth a try.  Any leads on the White's in Co.Laois is worthy of a follow up, even though I am unsure of where in Co.Laois my branch of the White's originated from.

The other problem we have is that Eleanor White born c1810 married here in Australia in 1845 in the Primitive Methodist Church but some family members seem to think she was Catholic.  I really wish I had been around in those days, I would have asked a million and one questions, and then recorded the answers. 

As mentioned in a previous posting by "willyhyland" he found a Christopher White (Eleanor's father's name) in Chapel Street Rathdowney in 1849.  He also said there were hundred's of White's in the County, so it doesn't make my search any easier. ::)

Well Jack, thanks for your advice, my search continues.......  :)
Johnson - Shetland