Author Topic: Livingston Marriage, 1879,Drum  (Read 5794 times)

Offline mizruzz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Livingston Marriage, 1879,Drum
« on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:02 BST (UK) »
My ggrandparents William Livingston and Sarah A. Horner were married on 11 Jun 1879 by the Rev. Dr. Whitside in the First Presbyterian Church, Drum, Monaghan. They emigrated immediately after to the USA. If church registers are available what other info might I find for them? Occupation? Names of other family? I am assuming they were from Drum because they were married there. William was born Jul 1857 and Sarah Apr 1861. William's father was James Livingston b. 1829. William had at least two other brothers Thomas b.1854 and James b. 1861.  Sarah had at least one brother, Mathew Horner. All three Livingston brothers emigrated to Connecticut USA and became employed as gardeners. Any info or advise would be wonderful! :D
Drum, Monaghan-Livingston(e),Horner
Balbriggan,Dublin-Moore, McQuillan
Tipperary- Guilmartin/Gilmartin, Ryan
Portlaw,Waterford-Britt,Gahan
Offaly-Hensey/Hennessey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Livingston Marriage, 1879,Drum
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
To start with Rev. John Whitsitt was ordained minister of 2nd Drum Presbyterian Church 30 Mar.1847, retired in 1880 and died 24 July 1882. In 1879 the minister of 1st Drum was James Steen. The two congregations united 1881 after Rev. Whitsitt retired.
Drum is the name of the church (orginally 1st Drum was called Dartry or Drumdartry) and the marriage certificate should give the residences (townlands) of the bride and groom at the time of their marriage.
I see that the Livingstons lived in Hartford, Connecticut (1900 census). Did the father James die in Connecticut? If so, his death certificate should list names of his parents (as long as the informant knew the details). Also, the death certificates of any of the sons, if they also died in Conn., should list their mother's name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mizruzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, my gggrandfather died in Hartford, CT, and I ordered his death cert, but it was woefully uninformative! In fact most of the death certs I have are missing much info! These Livingstons seemed to be secretive! I found the information about Wm & Sarah's marriage from a Hartford Ct newspaper clipping celebrating their 50th anniversary.
Offaly-Hensey/Hennessey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
What about Sarah's death certificate? any names of parents? civil registration of births in Ireland began 1864, too early for Sarah (and William) but perhaps she had siblings born 1864 or later?
Assume that you have all the details from census records, etc. of them in Conn.?

Offline mizruzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
You are right, the obvious thing to do is order Sarah & Wm's death cert from Hartford Ct., I do have all the Ct census info and the dates of their deaths.  I have Wm's father James' death cert, it was woefully lacking information, His mother's name unk, fathers name James, birth simply Ireland.
Offaly-Hensey/Hennessey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 08 14:15 BST (UK) »
If you get the names of the parents post them here and maybe we'll be able to get more information.

Offline mizruzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 July 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I have ordered both death certs, It can take up to 6 mos. to get them! So this question will have to keep awhile!
mizruzz
Offaly-Hensey/Hennessey

Offline mizruzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 September 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
I got the death certs. Sarah A. Horner was born to Elizabeth Landrum and Mathew Horner 11 Apr 1858. She had at least one other sibling Mathew b.abt 1848. William Livingston was born to Ann Lee and James Livingston (Livingstone/Levingston) 19 Jul 1857. He had at least 2 brothers, Thomas b. abt 1854 and James b. abt 1861.
Offaly-Hensey/Hennessey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 September 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
Good news. A few more bits of information from IGI (all Co. Monaghan) for you here in case you don't have them.

Matthew Horner m.(21 Mar.1848 Ireland) Elizabeth Lendrum. Twin daughters born 19 May 1865 Clones district- Hannah and Ellen. (1864 was start of civil registration of births).

James Livingston, son of James, m.(25 Oct.1853 Currin district) Ann Lee, daughter of Thomas Lee. Son John Leviston born 8 Oct.1865 Drum district.