Author Topic: Silverstream  (Read 5501 times)

Offline faith1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silverstream
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 August 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, I am not familiar with the area at all,we live in Fife and have not been in Northern Ireland to stay for 45 years. We have planned a trip for October and are just trying to fit pieces of the jigsaw together before we arrive.Is Greenisland an area in Belfast or the surrounding area.It sounds like Silverstream was a district within this area.Apparently when my GG Grandmother had a little too much to drink she would proclaim to the world that she was a " Johnston of Silverstream " We found this bit of information in a letter written by a Great Uncle. Thanks for your help anyway. Every little bit of information helps. Faith

Offline Jenny57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 August 08 13:51 BST (UK) »
Faith
Greenisland is just along from Carrickfergus on the way to Belfast.
Maxwell,Workman, O'Neill, Smyth/Smith.
Reid,McClean,O'Hara,
Weir,Neill.

Offline faith1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 August 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, Thanks for that bit of info. We will visit this area when we do our trip. Faith

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 October 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, My GG Granny apparently came from Silverstream. Where about is this and where would I find records for this area.

Google NI Libraries ... when you get that site there's an index on the left hand side ... clcik on NEELB and then on Greenisland. They may be able to assist with more information about Silverstream.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 October 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/04jd/

This map has Silverstream Road, so very possibly lies in the area or near the old Townland.

You can zoom in and out of, and pan around same.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Faith,

There is a gravestone in St. Nicholas' Graveyard in Carrickfergus that bears the inscription:

In loving memory of Robert Johnstone who died 21st January1869 aged 82 years. And his wife Mary, who died 28th August 1868 aged 76 years. Erected by their sons R. and C. Johnstone. Also Margaret, wife of R. Johnstone, who died 1st January 1905 aged 86 years. Robert Johnstone who died 11th April 1916 aged 96 years.

Robert Johnstone of Silverstream, Carrickfergus, a farmer, who died 19 Jan 1869 had his will proved at Belfast on 5 Feb 1869 by Charles Johnstone of Silverstream.

This could very well be the 'Johnston' family your gg grandmother referred to.
If you think there is a connection send me your e-mail address by PM & I'll pass it along to a Johnstone researcher in the U.S. that has Johnstone ancestors from Silverstream & is most likely linked to the family of the above gravestone inscription.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.

Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline faith1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.A.M. Thanks for getting back to me about the Johnston's. I really have very little to go on other than my GG Granny was Mary Ann Johnston of Silverstream who married my GG Grandad Robert Thompson in 1863. Her father was Charles Johnston a Carter. The only other thing I know about the family is that they have some connection with Johnston House which i think is part of the Victoria Hospital in Belfast. I would be delighted if you could contact the person you mentioned who is doing Johnston research as this may well be a family link. My email address is Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses, please use the Pm system instead. Thanks for getting in touch every little bit helps.

Offline rawchild

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 March 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
My mother lived with her gmother in Silverstream during the period 1912-30c. Visited Ireland last year looked and found the stream. The Jordanstown University is built in the area and also Belfast Grammer School both on the left hand side of the shore road on the way from Belfast going towards Carrickfergus. Look at the Ulster Covenant and you will find people who lived at Silverstream House, Wise and others. The house is no longer there probably gone with road improvements. Suggest you look up the area on multimap and you will find the area comes up. Johnstons had a great connection with the Presbyterian Church in Carrickfergus- benefactors- plaques etc with Johnston name on.
Hope this helps.

Offline faith1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 March 09 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for that bit of information. Every little bit helps.I am finding it hard to crack this side of my family tree but I will keep working away at it. Thanks again. Faith