Author Topic: importing from Generations4 to TMG  (Read 1603 times)

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
importing from Generations4 to TMG
« on: Friday 27 June 08 08:32 BST (UK) »
HI,
I have downloaded the 30 day trial version of The Master Genealogist, have all my research etc on Generations4 (a very old version) so would like to see if I can trf information from Gen to TMG, have tried by saving GEDCOM then clicking export, the wizard for TMG finds it and shows it as being trf but then says export failed.  I have not done this type of thing before, could be doing something wrong..very likely, could some of you kind helpers suggest to me what else I can do.  I did look along all the topics on gedcom but it doesn't show what I need.

I have contacted the help site of TMG and they suggested the trf of gedcom files as TMG won't recognise the old versions of Generations.
Failing that any suggestions of what software will import from generations that is considered on of the the better products. I liked the sound and look of TMG but if it don't work for me I'll buy something else.

Many thanks
Barb
Buckingham, bliss,  Beatty (Beattie or Beaty), Bullock,
 Dunnett,  Jones, , Keane, Kite (Kyte), Nagle, Sendey, Reid,

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: importing from Generations4 to TMG
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 08 09:43 BST (UK) »
I can't of the top of my head help you with your problem but I can say that I have been running TMG for about 8 years now and find it excellent, I am currently on my 3rd upgrade.

My only grumble is that I am probably only using a fraction of what ti offers as I am not familiar with the genealogy technical phraseology, there is however a very helpfull online tutorial which may be of some use to you.

Have a look here it may be able to answer your question. 

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/whyTMG.htm

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: importing from Generations4 to TMG
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Thank you for the website for guided tour, will download and read.

Barb :)
Buckingham, bliss,  Beatty (Beattie or Beaty), Bullock,
 Dunnett,  Jones, , Keane, Kite (Kyte), Nagle, Sendey, Reid,