Author Topic: where are these places?  (Read 9072 times)

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: where are these places?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 June 08 16:50 BST (UK) »
hoping someone can shed some light on the following places where my ancesters used to live:
  carscallan?
  brumbletown and knownowtown
 any ideas anyone?

See http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/2nd_ed_list.html
Select Sheet 23 - Hamilton

On that sheet, Hamilton is the pink coloured parish towards the north-west corner.
Click on the south-east corner of that parish until the place names become legible.

A short distance below the W of grid-number 18SW you will find Broomelton.

Zoom back out again and move westwards into grid-'square' 17SE. Zoom in on the north-east corner of that 'square' and you will find Carscallan.

The nearest that I have found to knownowtown is Knowenoble in the south of Shotts Parish.

ADP

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 June 08 18:12 BST (UK) »
hi adp,
well spotted,
 i think you could be right, broomelton is probably the correct place.
both only a couple of miles apart
thanks very much for that.
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 June 08 18:16 BST (UK) »
just received this from a GR member:

The entry for Cambusnethan in the 1834 edition of The New Statistical Account of Scotland, is written by the minister, Alexander Livingston, who goes out of his way to mention Knownowton, which was clearly one of his favourite places in his parish:

'The eastern, which is the highest part of this parish, has a very extensive view. From Knownowton you see the Castle of Edinburgh, Tinto, Loudon-hill, Dumbarton Castle and the hills of Argyllshire, and to no evening scene have I ever been attracted with greater rapture, than to observe the summer sun setting behind the serrated cliffs of Arran or throwing a blaze of parting radiance around lofty Ben Lomond.

does this help narrow it down?
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 June 08 20:12 BST (UK) »
Yes the description does narrow down the location to the moorland (eastern) part of Cambusnethan parish.

On http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/641.html from 1773 (top-right section, above left of centre),
it is there as Knownouton.

On http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/646.html from 1816 (top section, near the middle),
it is there as Knowton.

On http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/649.html from 1821 (west page, NE part of Lanarkshire),
it is shown as KnowNewton.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/2nd_ed_list.html from the 1890s
Select sheet 31 - Airdrie
Cambusnethan is partly on this map, the green-coloured parish towards the south-east corner of the sheet.
Almost in the centre of that parish you will find Knowton in grid-'square' 13SE, south-east of Stane.

On other later Ordnance Survey maps, it is there as Knowton, as it is on a current map.

See current OS map showing Knowton.

ADP

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 June 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
adp.
you're a wizard!
 it's always been there, just variants of the spelling throughout the years.
thank you
steve

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 June 08 23:28 BST (UK) »
Great job ADP and an interesting website too....I spent a lot of time looking at the old maps. Thank you.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 June 08 06:45 BST (UK) »
Great job ADP and an interesting website too....I spent a lot of time looking at the old maps. Thank you.

mab
i ditto that, and have added the maps to my favourites
cheers

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 June 08 06:57 BST (UK) »
Actually I had forgotten that I posted a map from that site of Glasgow 1912 under resources...another RCer kindly pointed that out to me  :-[  .......oh well  ;D I'm old and I tend not to retain unimportant stuff like that...I move on to other better stuff  ;D I didn't really look at the whole site at the time...today I was looking for maps of the "debatable land" at the border between Scotland and England .....I have a few shady sheep "purveyors" in the OH's tree  :o :o :o

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 June 08 16:44 BST (UK) »
Actually I had forgotten that I posted a map from that site of Glasgow 1912 under resources...another RCer kindly pointed that out to me  :-[  .......oh well  ;D I'm old and I tend not to retain unimportant stuff like that...I move on to other better stuff  ;

mab
good to know my questions are unimportant  :'(  ;)
steve