Author Topic: Emond in Selkirk  (Read 6266 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emond in Selkirk
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 June 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
Her baptism might not be there. It could have gone unrecorded for various reason - missing pages, clerical oversight, etc. I have about 4 or 5 baptsms missing in my line. They were born because they married, appear in censuses and died but they are not recorded as being baptised.

There was also a period in the late 18th century when a tax was levied on parish registry entries. Some people refused to pay this and, although the child was baptised, the event wasn't recorded.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 June 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
To put you out of your misery in the Auld Kirkyard Selkirk the headstone reads "In memory of Patrick EMOND late weaver in Selkirk who died 7th August 1809 aged 70yrs Agnes HEATLIE his spouse who died 3rd May 1777 and two of their children James Chisholm late Dean of Guild  died 8th April 1864 aged 64yrs.
I have a photograph.The Guild would be the weavers guild
 The details and photographs of the Auld Kiryard are available from www.bordersfhs.org.uk  on CD likewise the two other cemeteries in Selkirk Brierylaw and Shawfield.There are quite a few Emonds listed as I transcribed them all.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 June 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

I notice that James and Elizabeth's first daughter was an Agnes(e). ( Agnes, James, Peter, John, Jean, William)   This points to a possible marriage in Selkirk: 
17 August 1769:

Patrick Emond and Agnes Hatlie

Source - IGI

Gadget

Thank you  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 June 08 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, Alan,

Many, many thanks for all the help you've given me to resolve this one.

Chaltis
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles