Author Topic: where was Cathlan?  (Read 3628 times)

Offline raybakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
where was Cathlan?
« on: Saturday 22 January 05 17:59 GMT (UK) »
My g-g-grandfather David Crighton a shipwright in London, lists his birthplace as 'Cathlan, Forfar, Scotland' in one census and Montrose, Scotland in another. Anyone know where Cathlan is? I've heard 'Cath' means battle, so perhaps it means 'battle land'? As there was a battle of Stracathro, I was wondering if Cathlan was an alternative name? or is it a name for many battlefields?

He was born about 1833, and checking on the records, there were 3 David Crighton's born around that time in that area - hope to narrow things down, would be great if anyone could give me some clues!!

Thanks,

Ray

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: where was Cathlan?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I have checked my maps but could find nothing to match but checking online brought the following reference
Thus the name Pitkethly is derived from the place name Pitkeathly, or Pitcaithly as it is sometimes pronounced, which might formerly have been known as Petcathelin. The name probably means a "A piece of land belonging to Cathach / a warrior" or "A piece of land associated with a fight/battle".

"Pitkeathly" Wells can still be seen on some old Ordnance survey maps of the area to the East of Perth

Its a possibility, as local names do tend to be quoted by older residents when referring to their birthplace rather than the so called proper names used on maps etc.

Offline raybakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 January 05 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking that out, very kind of you.

Ray

Offline celurcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 05 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray.   As I live in Montrose, I was interested in your question about Cathlan, but couldn't find anything similar in the area.   Given the difficulties in reading and transcribing some of the census forms, could your g-g-g-f's place of birth be Oathlaw?   This is a small village about 5 miles north of Forfar and a couple of miles south of Finavon, on the A90.   The area is rural and would certainly be in keeping with Alexander's occupation of farm overseer.   Montrose is about 18 miles away, so the change of birthplace is curious, but I suppose he could simply have been brought up in Oathlaw and not have been aware of his birthplace until later in life.

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 05 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray, I am also from the area and have not heard of this one, however, if you can paste a view of the word as it appears we may be able to figure it out.  Which year was the survey? 
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline celurcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 05 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray.   Further to my message earlier today, I have now found in the 1881 census a James W Crighton born in Oathlaw in 1831, with his wife Mary (born in Aberlour 1843) and sons George W, James W, and William G, all born in Oathlaw.   The census place was Oathlaw, and the head of the family is described as a farmer, with place of residence as West Mains of Finavon.
There is also another Crighton family, whose head was James, born Oathlaw 1843, wife Jane born Kirriemuir 1847, sons David and William (born Brechin), and daughters Betsy (born Brechin) and Isabella, born Fearn (I think this should be Fern, which is about 3-4 miles from Oathlaw).   The head of this family was a cattleman , living at Ballownie Farm Cottage - census place Stracathro.

There are also several Crightons born in Montrose, including a David Crighton, born in 1848.   The intriguing thing about him is that he had a daughter Alexa.   Wonder if this could have been a cousin?

Happy hunting!

Offline raybakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 05 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celurcan and Lesley, yes I think my cathlan on the London census is Oathlaw, and probably means Tannadice - thanks for helping me work it out!

David did have a brother James but he was born in 1828 in Oathlaw, so probably James W is related, not sure how yet though! Thanks for the other Crighton info too - it will be fascinating to see if it eventually fits in with the family picture!

David's father Alexander was born in Kirriemuir to John Crighton and Helen Ross - find it interesting that JM Barrie came from Kirriemuir and he used the name Crichton/Crighton in one of the titles of his plays.

Sorry it took so long to thank you both, is there any way I can be alerted when I have a reply to a post, so I don't miss one?

Thanks,

Ray

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 16:25 BST (UK) »
Ray wrote: "I think my Cathlan on the London census is Oathlaw, and probably means Tannadice "

If it says Oathlaw it does not mean Tannadice. Oathlaw and Tannadice are two separate neighbouring parishes, and a place in Oathlaw is by definition not in Tannadice and vice versa.

It's always possible that your people moved from one parish to the other and back again over time, and that some of the family were born in one parish and some in the other.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 05 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, as I have had similar difficulties with ancestors moving about a lot and having children in different places, I thought I would mention the following. 

You don't say if your families were farm workers, ie Agricultural Labourers such as Ploughmen or Cattlemen etc.  If so, these people only 'fee'd' ie took a contract, for 6 months or sometimes a year, so they moved from place to place for work.  I have found mine moving from Kirriemuir throughout Angus and into Perthshire.  This can be very frustrating. 

The censuses will have places of birth which may help with birth notices.  1871 is now online and 1851 and 1861 are due in the summer (don't hold your breath however).  I find the death certs are the most helpful as they give parents names, wife or husband, and the recorder of the death is often a son or daughter, from which you can take it a stage further.
Good luck
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland