Author Topic: A surfeit of Elkanah Hoyles in Halifax  (Read 15049 times)

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
Re: A surfeit of Elkanah Hoyles in Halifax
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 July 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
There must be a name for someone who collects Elkanah Hoyles, and I bet I'm the first

Elkanaharnessers? ;)
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 July 08 10:38 BST (UK) »
1] Elkanah Hoyle: [1660-1718] Son of John of The Hollins, Warley.  Elkanah married Sarah Whiteley.
2] Elkanah Hoyle: [1736-1794] Son of Thomas of Hipperholme
3] Rev Elkanah Hoyle: [17??-18??] Son of Elkanah [2]
4] Elkanah Hoyle: [17??-18??]
5] Elkanah Hoyle: [17??-18??] Son of Elkanah [4]

[2] and [3] would seem to be a separate branch of the family [but what do I know!]. 

My Elkanah's are #2 and #3.  #3 was indeed #2's son and was Christened at Ovenden on 23 Sep 1766.  He went on to be Headmaster of a grammar school and a Rev. - quite a man from what I read in "The History of Stockport Grammar School" - there's even a photograph.

Good stuff!

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline veekaye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 January 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Am I 18 months too late here?  I have just connected my Grace Hoyle, married Robert Lambert 1811 in Northumberland, to the Ripponden Hoyles.  She apparently had a brother Elkanah and a grandfather Elkanah.  Robert was from Surrey, their 5 children were born Surrey, London, Manchester, and Ripponden, Yorkshire.  They migrated to  New South Wales in 1838 with 5 servants per "Henry Wellesley."  Haven't quite pulled it all together yet, but I think I'm on the right track.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 10 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Am I also 18 months too late?

My Hoyles originated from Barkisland and I have a Joseph Hoyle baptised on 10 Mar 1750 at Ripponden Chapelry; the son of John Hoyle, a weaver.

I have found a possible marriage for John Hoyle - to Elizabeth Cheet(h)am on 7 Mar 1838 at St Mary's - but there are so many Hoyles and so many Johns and Josephs that I have hit a brick wall.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
If either of you can link up to one of my Elkanahs, please let me know and I shall add it to my website.  Every little helps!

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline veekaye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 September 10 01:30 BST (UK) »
Malcolm, I now have the following Elkanahs:
a]  Elkanah Hoyle b? d 19 Jul 1792, Ripponden (grandfather of my Grace)
b]  Elkanah Hoyle b 1694 Elland, father of [a]
c]   Elkanah Hoyle b ?? m 1685 to Sarah Whiteley, father of , son of John

Sorry, no photos!!!!

Val K

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 September 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Val.  Those details agree with what I have on my website, and confirm my thoughts about Elkanah Hoyle (m 1685 to Sarah Whiteley), being the son of John of The Hollins, Warley

Malcolm
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter