Author Topic: Differing ages RUSS Bitton Glos  (Read 842 times)

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Differing ages RUSS Bitton Glos
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 19:28 BST (UK) »

Hi, I need a little advice or hear if others have come across something similar.

I am looking for William Russ c 1865/9 in Bitton/Upton Glos.

I have traced various members of the family I have found and believe to be his family but he is 14 y in the 71 and 14 again in the 81 living with his sister in Egham.

Can any one help me sort this family out please?

Thanks Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Differing ages RUSS Bitton Glos
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
1871 William Russ, 14, (c1857) is at home with his widowed mother Sarah.  RG10/2499 folio 9 page 8.

Freebmd has birth of a William Russ Sept. qtr. 1856 Keynsham.

In 1881 RG11/1322 folio 29 page 18, William Russ is with Jane and John Hillier, he's noted as nephew aged 14 (c1867)

Is it the same William Russ?  Haven't found birth of a William Russ c1867 on Freebmd.

John Hillier and Jane Russ were married 1869 Bath (Freebmd).  Could William living with Jane in 1881 be her son not brother, although noted as nephew  :-\  Or could he be the son of a brother?

In 1881 there's a William Russ born Bitton c1858 married to Elizabeth RG11/2445 folio 19 page 8.
Freebmd has a marriage of William Russ and Elizabeth Colbourne (only these two names on page) Thornbury 6a page 375.  Marriage certificate would confirm parents.

This William and Elizabeth are in Wales 1891 and 1901 - RG12/4485/33/168;  RG13/5080/10/11.

Do you have William Russ in 1891/1901 census?

Have checked 1861 for consistency of age, he's aged 5 (c1856) living with widowed mother Sarah, RG9/1698/21/13.

Regards

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 08 19:01 BST (UK) »

Hi Susan thanks for replying and for the idea that Will Russ could be the son of Jane his supposed sister.

I think we have the right family but not the parents.

Maybe George the brother of Jane is the father which would explain the term nephew in the 81.

I do have him William c 1865/69 in the 91 and 01.
At the moment I am trawling through the 71 C for Bitton to see if I can find him there.

I await the marriage cert of Will Russ and Edith Jessi Stainer and hopefully more info re his father.

All the best

Lis

Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 08 19:47 BST (UK) »

Now I have Will Russ birth Oct q 1865 Keynsham

I have found him in the 71 as a boarder with Giles Meer and wife Elizabeth Passmore.

So now I send for his Birth Cert

Lis