Author Topic: UTICA, NY. Query  (Read 3926 times)

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UTICA, NY. Query
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Miss Kate!
Thank you for your kind response. I'll follow up your suggestion. We know Rev. HH Brown married Emily B Dumble in 1929 in USA (she travelled there by ship in April 1929) and presumably married fairly soon after her arrival. Here in England one normally has to give 3 weeks notice to the Church. Is it the same in the USA? HH Brown was a priest who could marry people but presumably couldn't marry himself! In 1930 census Rev HH Brown  and Emily were married.
Two days ago I found a shipping entry for Rev HH Brown - he returned to USA in September 1927 - he was at Coffeyville Kansas until June. Thus he had been on holiday in England which is when he must have met Emily.
Sad they were married for only 6 years.
Best wishes
BGB

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Miss Kate again

I have now e-mailed the library and await their response.
I'll let you know how I get on.
It was very kind of you to go to the trouble of sending their e-mail address and I much appreciate this.
Kind regards
BGB

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 23:00 BST (UK) »
All is now revealed, thanks to the kind librarian at Onondaga County Library, Syracuse NY and to the Rootschat member who suggested I contact the librarian in the first place..

Rev. Herbert Hamilton Brown married Emily Baring Dumble at Utica, NY, on 19 June 1929.
Emily, a school headteacher, was also identified travelling to USA by ship in April 1929.

Herbert & Emily returned to England in 1933.

Offline Miss Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB,
I'm happy the library found the information for you. They have been great!
Best of luck to you in your continuing family research.
Kind regards,
Kate

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 September 08 23:23 BST (UK) »
We now know, thanks to everyone:-
Rev Herbert Hamilton Brown married Emily Baring Dumble at Calvary Church, Utica, NY on 19 June 1929.
The officiant was the Bishop of New York.
Sadly, Rev HH Brown died in England in 1935 so poor Emily was left a widow. She lived in England until 1971 when she died.

A Google search found a good picture of the church. But there is a suggestion that it is no longer open. Does anyone know about this church, please?
BGB

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 September 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
I just checked the local phone book and at first glance cannot find that church.  What is the denomination? There is a Calvery Cemetery in Utica but no church is attached to it.  May be gone.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Miss Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 September 08 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB,

Calvary Episcopal Church in Utica, NY was placed on the New York Register of Historic Places just this year in 2008. "Calvary Episcopal Church, Utica – built in 1870-1872, the church is an intact example of late Victorian English Gothic architecture."

Upon further research it appears Calvary Church itself was sold back in 1995 and is now known as the Italo-Greek Orthodox Cathedral and worship services take place by members of that religious denomination.

Their address (formerly Calvary Episcopal Church):

1101 Howard Avenue
Utica, NY 13501
USA

The parish records of Calvary may have been transferred to Grace Episcopal Church in Utica. Another likely possibility is that the records were transferred to the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York which is located in Syracuse, NY.

Hope this helps.

Kate

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate and Nutkin
Thank you for your kindness in resolving the current situation re Calvary Episcopal Church, Utica. Much appreciated. Sorry for the late response - I have been away on holiday in Italy!
BGB