Author Topic: UTICA, NY. Query  (Read 3928 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: UTICA, NY. Query
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 June 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will help but here is a link for the Utica Library. 

http://www.uticapubliclibrary.org/genealogy.html

YOu could always ask for a search of the directories and maybe get an idea of the church name.

or the historical society..

http://www.oneidacountyhistory.org/Research/ResearchNew.asp

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 June 08 20:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Nutkin
Thanks for your suggestion and the library e-mail address. Before Rev Herbert Hamilton Brown came to Utica he had appointments at Central City, Nebraska and Coffeyville, Tenessee. In both cases I contacted the libraries who were able with the help of local contacts to verify these appointments. So libraries can be very helpful, although one has to be patient with them! One also needs to know their e-mail addresses.
So thanks again. I will see what the Methodist Church comes up with first.
Regards
BGB

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 July 08 21:57 BST (UK) »
I regret to say that I have made a mistake about UTICA. The place should have been ONEIDA NY. How my mistake arose I have no idea. I think I may have a Utica connection for someone else.

The Methodist Church has been in touch and hopefully the query is being followed up in Oneida.

The minister in Newcastle, Wyoming, seems not to have an e-mail address. So I have contacted the library, as suggested.

How many Newcastles are there in the USA? There are three in England & Wales.
BGB

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 July 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
In the 1930 Census, it looks like they're in Utica in Oneida County.  Maybe that was the confusion?

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 July 08 22:46 BST (UK) »
Shelly is right and I am very grateful for clarification that Utica is the town and Oneida is the county. I have now informed the Methodist researcher.
BGB

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 July 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
BGB,   23 Newcastle or New Castle in the U.S. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle

lissa

Offline chopsticks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 August 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there.  Just noticed that one of your surname interests is 'Milner'.  I am descended from Ann Milner of Patrington, who married John Woodhouse in 1810.  I have quite a lot of information on her descendants - more than happy to share with you if you're interested!

regards, Vicky (Sheffield, England)

Offline BGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 August 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
To let recent correspondents know that quite by chance (and thanks to a recently-joined UK member) the wife of Rev Herbert Hamilton Brown whom he married in Utica NY in 1929 has been identified.
She is (or was) Emily Baring Dumble of Keswick (in the English Lake District) although she was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1883. Sadly HHB died in 1935 so she was widowed after only 6 years of marriage. Considering she was 46 when she married and HHB was 62 she was taking a bit of a risk at the time. She died in 1971 in Kendal.
As with many family history questions the solving of one mystery gives rise to another. What we don't know as yet is:-
1. How did HHB a priest in Holy Orders in the Episcopalian Church in USA get to meet an English schoolteacher living in Keswick. Shipping and census records show she first entered the USA in April 1929. The assumption is she went there to get married.
2. After HHB she returned to live at Keswick. We don't know what occupation she followed although she is believed to have died a wealhy woman!
Thank you to everyone for their past help.
BGB

Offline Miss Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi BGB,

You can request a free lookup for their marriage here ...

Onondaga County Public Library (OCPL) in Syracuse

New York State Vital Records Microfiche Indexes - Free Look Ups

The Onondaga County Public Library (OCPL) 
447 S. Salina Street
Syracuse, NY 13202-2494

An email contact is listed here:

http://ny-genes.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-york-state-vital-records-microfiche.html

with further information here ...

http://ny-genes.blogspot.com/2008/03/vital-records-lookups-update-to-update.html

(blog by “Dick” Hillenbrand)

Be sure to mention you think they may have married in Oneida County, NY.
They will do a five year span of time for the lookup from the date you think they may have married.
This index is not for NYC nor the boroughs of New York City but pertains to the rest of New York State.
Hopefully by now you may have heard back from the church via email. I wanted to list this as an alternative for you. When I have sent this library an email, I generally hear back from them within 24 hours, unless it is a weekend.

Good luck!
K.