Author Topic: thomas bird 1895  (Read 2099 times)

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
thomas bird 1895
« on: Monday 30 June 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
i am having great difficulty in tracing a thomas bird born 1895 his father also called thomas bird

thomas bird stated on his marriage certificate in 1932 he was a electrian and his father thomas was deceased, they lived at 309 holton road, barry dock at the time of his marriage
i have found his army records of 1915 and he stated he was a electrician and lived at 4 st david's sq, cwmaman, aberdare, glamorgan and i also found his death certificate in 1953 aged 53 at pontypridd, glamorgan, he stated his father was a boilermaker and i thought i had found a family near by in neath but other memebers on this site adviced me that a tin plate man in the tin works would not have been a boilermaker.
i have looked through the census of 1901 for a thomas bird born 1895 with a father called thomas bird
( boilermaker ) but i have been unsuccesful at finding a family that would fit in with all the records i have ie: marriage, death and army records.

could someone please help me in maybe finding this family in the 1901 census maybe in wales
i did find a family in england west hartlepool, but i cant prove either way if this is the correct line

kindest regards
michael gill ( walkerlad )
gill, cumberland, winlaton, newcastle
davis, northampton, lancashire, newcastle.
bell, winlaton, newcastle.
urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.
plant, yorkshire, durham, newcastle

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
Re: thomas bird 1895
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 08 21:52 BST (UK) »

Hi Michael,

This looks like your Thomas in Ystradyfodwd
                 RG13 / 5015 / 17 / 26

Philip Bird head age 50 b Bishop Castle Shropshire
Cathrine wife age 47 b MacHynlleth Montgomeryshire
William D son age 28 b  MacHynlleth
Thomas son age 26 b Borth Cardiganshire
Evan O son age 24 b Cileevin Cardiganshire
Thomas P Bird grandson age 7 b Ystrad Glamorgan
David Paul boarder age 23 b Treorcy Glamorgan

Address 4 St David Street

Sue

Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 08 22:06 BST (UK) »
thank you sue
i will have a look at that information
do you know off hand if his father was a boilermaker

if his father was a boilermaker then i have to rejoin ancestory to look at the census as my subscription has just ran out
that is typical >:(

regards
michael
urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.

Offline Vicky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 07:53 BST (UK) »
Phillip BIRD was a Collery timerberman underground.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Surnames: THOMAS, COPE, COOK(E), JONES!, HYBART, SELBY, HANSFORD, DAVIES, RICHARDS, HOARE, CRIDDLE, BROOM.
Counties: Glamorgan, Monmouth, Gloucester, Brecon, Hereford,

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
thank you vicky for that information
i have joined ancestory once again and have seen the family in question, they worked in the coal mines, now i am wondering !!!

the address i have in 1915 is st david's sq , cwmaman, aberdare, glamorgan
the question i am now asking is would  4 st davids street, be the same address !!!
it is possible that the son thomas bird born 1875 is the father of thomas bird 1895, i have sent for his birth certificate, i am now wondering if thomas left the mines before his son married in 1932 to become a boilermaker as stated on his sons wedding certificate

this is going to be hard to prove  >:(

kindest regards
sue and vicky

( walkerlad )
michael
urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, the address would not be the same.  The 1891/1901 census for this family is in the Ystradyfodwg (Rhondda) area. Aberdare is another valley, but not a huge distance away

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/places?GLA,SS940980,5,Ystradyfodwg

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/places?GLA,SO000020,5,Aberdare

Some of this family are buried in upper Rhondda.  There is also a possible marriage for Thomas in 1893.

A few queries...

The only Thomas Bird service record b Glam 1895 +/ - 2yrs, I can find has address as 168 Fforchaman Road Cwmaman, Aberdare, father Herbert John Bird, so this is not him, have not been able to locate the one you stated on A*****y.

Also have you confirmation that the death in Sept Q 1953 age 58 is him, what is the address and informant name??  Also who did he marry?  if she was local to the area, it is quite likely that he was born, lived, died in Wales...

I think you have two candidates....it is very possible in 30+ yrs to change occupation, also the information is only as sound as the one who told it.. :-\

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 15:25 BST (UK) »
hello cas
many many thanks for your valuable information

thomas bird born 1895 stated on his wedding certificate in 1932 his father was thomas bird a boilermaker ( deceased ) he lived at 309 holton road, barry dock, thomas was a electrian aged 37 married mary agnes martin
his wife lived at royal hotel, cadoxton at time of marriage aged 32
thomas bird registered in the welsh reg battalion in 1915 aged 20 and stated he was a electrian record ( 44109 )
former address was 4 st davids sq, cwmaman, aberdare, glamorgan, no parents listed

his death certificate has no informant except the doctor and died in llpynypia hospital, pontypridd aged 58 in 1953
this is all the information i have to work on. the certificate also stated he was a electrician

this is soo frustrating
so i have wasted my money sending for a birth certificate of a thomas bird born 1894 in ystrad

urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
If he died in Llwynypia hospital, this would be local to were the Thomas Philip Bird was in 1901...

I have the burial index for both main cems for this area.  Cannot find where he is buried in 1953, Phillip from 1901 and a few other members are buried in upper Rhondda (Treorchy as mentioned)

The local FH Library has internments records for both main cems, which gives address, next of kin, if others are in plot etc...and also electrol from 1919 but address is usually needed.

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
hi cas
in your oppinion would you say thomas bird would been his father even though the census states he was miner rather than a boilermaker

i have also sent for philips bird the grandfathers wedding certificate to catherine owens in 1871
the census states that thomas bird born c1874 was single in 1901 and there doesnt seem to be any other candidates for thomas bird born 1895, yet it states grandson, i have traced that family back to 1841 with no other possibility other than thomas bird c1874 is the father, the birth certificate will confirm which i should have on thursday

when thomas bird married mary agnes martin they had 2 children one called owen vincent bird and a daughter called katherine teresa bird
mary a martin father was called vincent martin, was owen named after thomas bird brother or his grandmothers maiden name of owen even though i accept owen is a welsh name
i am from the north east of england in newcastle upon tyne, so i am not familar with the areas of wales
urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.