Author Topic: Joseph CARBIS  (Read 4657 times)

Offline PeterY

• I am sorry my email address is not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
Joseph CARBIS
« on: Monday 30 June 08 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would anyone have any infomation relating to the parents of Joseph Carbis b 1776 of Gulval who married a Mary (May) Bowden in 1801 in Gulval.

I am stuck and short of driving to Cornwall, wbhich being disabled is out, I don't know what I can do.
Joseph and Mary were the parents of Benjamin 1802, Dorcas 1804, Mary 1806, Joseph b1807, John, William b 1812
Young, Carbis, Quirk, Stark, Francis, Wise, Lewis, Hammond, Burr, Chard, Thomas, Stew, Davies, Hobbs, Jewell Southard, Williams

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
JOSEPH CARBIS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry my computer glicked.

Would anyone have any information relating to the parents of Joseph Carbis b 1776 of Gulval who married a Mary (May) Bowden in 1801 in Gulval.

I am stuck and short of driving to Cornwall, which being disabled is out, I don't know what I can do.
Joseph and Mary were the parents of Benjamin 1802, Dorcas 1804, Mary 1806, Joseph b1807, John, William b 1812, Peter b 1815, Richard, b 1820

I am trying to link up with another tree also from Gulval at around the same period, but canot find the link.  Theeir tree go to Henry's 1760, 1730 and I wondered if they were related.

Yours

PeterY
Young, Carbis, Quirk, Stark, Francis, Wise, Lewis, Hammond, Burr, Chard, Thomas, Stew, Davies, Hobbs, Jewell Southard, Williams

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOSEPH CARBIS
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 08 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

Is he the Joseph Carbis on the 1851 census shown in the household of his son in law Thomas Burgess?
If so, he is shown as being born in Penzance so may have been baptised in Madron.  I will have a look around for you.
This site is useful - but perhaps not in this case!
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/index.htm

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

many thanks for taking up my quest.

It's a funny thing Barbara, but I have a Thomas Burgess in my notes that I havetaken whilst searching, but was not sure where he fitted, if at all.

I am still trying all avenues within my grasp and have bookmarked the site you suggetsted as I have more expanding on the Carbis family to do once I have sorted this matter out.

BFN
PeterY

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Further to it all I have just found the following at http://www.wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com under the Perranuthoe and St Hillary Familys

Thomas Burgess chr18/21/1844 brother to Mary Jane  chr 4/3/1849 both born Perranuthoe, Cornwall
They were children to Thomas Burgess chr Dec in Breage Cornwall who was
Married to Mary Carbis Chr 1807 Gulval who was the Daughter of
Joseph Carbis Abt 1775 Ludgvan and Mary Bowden abt 1773 Penzance

Is this the same couple?
I can't find a further reference.
Yours
PeterY

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
Peter

The information I found was the household in the 1851 census.  Both Joseph and Mary Carbis are shown as born in Penzance.

I cannot find a baptism for Joseph in Madron or Gulval. It is possible he was from Ludgvan and I will see if I can find something on this for you tomorrow.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph CARBIS
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 08 22:38 BST (UK) »
Mary Carbis married Thomas Burgess Sept 1842 Qtr Penzance district
(Free BMD)
Details at OPC database
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=343124&dbtype=marriages

BYe
Althea

Offline cornish maid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Census shows Joseph as being born at Ludgvan, so well worth pursuing the likelihood of a baptism there :)
This looks like the burial of Joseph:  19 January 1863, Abode: The Roost, Perranuthnoe. 

The names of Joseph Carbis and Mary Bawden's children may be significant when trying to find Joseph's parents.  Bearing in mind that Joseph was born around 1775, and that he called his first child Benjamin, there is the following marriage in Gulval:
23 September 1792 - Benjamin Carbis & Elizabeth Garter, Widow  (possibly nee Uren)

There is also a christening of a Dorcas Carbis, baptised 11 May 1794 in Gulval, father Benjamin Carbis.  (She appears to have been buried 26 February 1815, age 21, Residence: Boscobba, Gulval.)
Dorcas is of course another name used by Joseph and Mary when naming their children.

Just a thought  :-\

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

The marriage of Joseph and Mary Bowden was actually in Ludgvan on the 29 Aug 1801. Joseph was listed as of Gulval at that time and Joseph and Mary had their family in Gulval.

I have not found a baptism for Joseph, but I am thinking upon the same line as cornish maid re Ludgvan and the naming of the children. Joseph suggets he was born in Ludgvan. There are 3 baptisms listed on the IGI in Ludgvan to Peter (Benjamin - probably the one mentioned by cornish maid) Peter and Dorcas. I find the marriage of Peter Carbence or Carbines and Dorcas Rowe listed in Breage in 1766. See

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~althea/

Peter left a will

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03r5/

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk