Author Topic: Traveller musicians  (Read 36655 times)

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller musicians
« Reply #36 on: Monday 15 June 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply to my questions over the past couple of months. Edward Draper was the son of Samuel Draper, who features heavily in my research, since in addition to being a peripatetic fiddle player he maintained a dancing booth at fairs and feasts. Italian musicians were frequently to be seen on the streets of towns during the nineteenth century, often playing the hurdy gurdy. No doubt some WERE employed in circuses or tent show of various kinds. Thanks too for details of the caravan dwelling Saunders family.

I will be very pleased to hear of anything relevant on the subject at any time. Good ancestor hunting to all.

Keith

Offline brujavu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 15 June 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Keith,

No, the only other details I have so far is that I may possibly have been involved with a married man, or have been suspected of it... there was definitely a jealous wife involved, and I may possibly have killed him.  That part is still pretty vague, but if I knew of any Traveller musicians in County Cork during the 1800's I'm hoping I could do some research, see some photos, find out what instruments they played and anything else that might spark a memory.  I know it's not much to go on, but that's the nature of this kind of research.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  :)

Barbara 

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 31 August 09 14:43 BST (UK) »
My gt grand father was Frederick William Lovely  Towhey (1852) a blind travelling musician.
Married Ellen Pattingale Birmingham 1879, she also was and itinerant musician.
I have never been able to trace back further than Frederick.
On the 1881 census the family are living in Brighton and Frederick states he was born in Dublin. Listed as Itinerant Musicians.
On the 1891 census living in Liverpool he states we was born in Woolwick Kent but it's definitely the same family.
On the 1901 census states born Woolwich, living in Manchester as a dealer in  musical instruments.
1911 census Ardwick Manchester states the same.
Frederick died in Lambeth 1928.
Ellen Pattigale was born 1862 Selby York.
Ellen died in Camberwell London.
There were 7 children from the marriage but only 2 survived.
My grandmother born 1883 was the only child to carry the Lovely name but it's listed as Loval on her birth cert not Lovely.
On Fredericks wedding cert he states his father's name is James Towhey a Station Master.
Happy to provide you with documents I have, I do have some photo's but none with musical instruments.
I'm also tracing the other side of my family Irish Traveling Musician and Showmen, Brennan's and McCormick's.
Regards Jackie

Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline Smith-Gypsy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hiya Keith and everyone else,

im a bit late and i dont have much to share except that im a descendant of Hercules smith, grandson of the gypsy fiddler, unfortunately i only have certificates of his daughter Mezelle (birth, marriage, death) if they are any use?

Also for the gent looking for convicts i have another traveller Isaac Sherrif (hercules father in law) who was sentenced to death for murder, then reduced to transportation then i think he ended doing his sentence in england! He can also be found living back with his daughter in old age! I have newspaper clippings detailing trials and a description of him on the boat if its any use?

Finally if anyone is related to these families or has any info i would love to hear it please

Offline tassari

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
 I had family in Bradford 1850 to 1900 my great grand parents Dominic Tassari
Rossa Tassari and Daughter Mary,I think they were also known as Yazza,they lived
in Paper Hall Court in Bradford .
They were all musicians.Any info anyone.

PG.

Offline Barry Mc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
I am a McCormick, Gt Grandson of Frederick McCormick listed in 1901 census. Can you tell me more about your McCormick ancestry.

Regards

Barry

Offline teresamurphy100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I am a direct descendant of Adolphus Gray son of Oseri Gray who are both listed as musicians on adolphus's wedding certificate. I see that you have included them on your list. I remember seeing reference to Oseri in the JGLS a while ago and wondered if you had seen this. but

I did not study the journal in depth so any information you have I would love to hear about. Im particularly interested in going back further. I believe Oseri's parents were Ossory and Anna not sure buyond this.

Best wishes
Teresa

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry, where your McCormicks the travelling circus folK?
Regards Jackie
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Still looking to find my Brennan's travelling musician's showmen.

Thomas Brennan born Ireland somewhere between 1870's and 1880's
Travelled thorought Ireland (Connaught Bazaar)

Thomas's father was also named Thomas and was the Steward on a large estate thought to have been near Kilkenny, possibly had a brother in the priesthood.

Last known address was in Raphoe Ireland 1930.

Close family connections to Enya and Moya Brennan (Clannad)