Author Topic: Re: Little Waltham Marriages 1754-1812  (Read 1858 times)

Offline EAP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Little Waltham Marriages 1754-1812
« on: Tuesday 01 July 08 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kath,

You are sneaking posts onto this board under my nose!! Have just spotted this Little Waltham posting.

There was an eccentric vicar at Great Waltham in the final years of the 18th and early years of the 19th century. He was very anti-drink, and would refuse to marry anyone who had been drinking or christen anyone whose parents had been drinking. He had running feuds with various people and often refused to unlock the church.

When I finish my present project, I am planning to write an article on him for the newsletter / magazine of the  Essex Family History Society (unless anyone beats me to it). This will probably not be until New Year 2009 now, at the rate I am going.

I was wondering if this would explain why some people from Great Waltham might have been Bap-d, Mar-d or Bur-d in Little Waltham. At the vicar's trial it was said that parishioners often had to go to neighbouring churches, because he was so awkward.

Am looking out for your list of available surnames.

Best wishes,

Edwina
www.edwina.org.uk

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 13:23 BST (UK) »

Where did you find out about the Vicar at Waltham?

As for the Little Waltham marriages it's more often than not that one of the persons getting married is actually living or from Little Waltham, i would expect if the vicar was as awkward as it's been said that when there is a marriage between persons of Great Waltham for both the Bride and Groom to both be of that parish, from memory i don't remember there being any like that in L.Waltham, but i can have a look for you if you wish.

Kath x
FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline EAP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath.

I went on the Gale Infotec Times online site a couple of years ago, and typed 'Great Waltham' into the search box to see what came up. That was how I found out about the vicar. It took a number of different search terms before I began to build up the whole story - which I can't exactly remember now (or his name). But I have it all jotted down in my notebooks.

Edwina
www.edwina.org.uk

Offline John.E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

My distant family seemed to have done everything in Little Waltham, and to a lesser extent in Great Waltham.

There is no evidence in the family tree that they ever experienced any problems with a mad vicar, but I guess they may have just been lucky.  :D

John.E

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Emberson; Morgan; Payne; Quested.

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 06:08 BST (UK) »
Did you follow up on branches of your family that had actually left the area or did you just concentrate on those that remained ::)