Author Topic: BRINDLEY HENRY  (Read 2876 times)

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BRINDLEY HENRY
« on: Sunday 23 January 05 06:30 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Henry brindley b 1818 Sutton, Macclesfield, Chester, Cheshire. His trade was a Tailor before he entered the army in 1839. He spent nr 22yrs in the army before coming to Australia as a pensioner guard in 1862. He brought his daughter Susanna with him. Henry was 43yrs and Susanna nr 10yrs. He married here and had a son, Joseph ho was my grandfather. I would be grateful for any information regards Phyllys
Brindley in Macclesfield or Lancashire
Hall in Macclesfield or Lancashire

Ronan in Tipperary, Ireland
Reilly in Cork, Ireland

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRINDLEY HENRY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phyllys ,What is the information that you would like to know on Henry Brindley?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Celia thanks for replying to my post. I have posted n other forums on this site. I had a very hopeful lead but it seems the dates don't match.
I have information from Henry's military File but nothing on  wife or who his parents were. The family had his christening noted as September 1819 however his Military file says he was born Jue 1818. Maybe he was christened late? He is a mystery. Apart from his life in the army we know nothing of him. After coming to Australia in 1862, he married in 1865 and had my grandfather Joseph in 1867. His wife remarried in 1869 saying she was a widow, however I can find no record of his death in any state of Australia.  If you can shed any light on Henry for me I would be most grateful. regards Phyllys.

Reilly in Cork, Ireland

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phyllys on Henry's army records does it give an address of any sort to help pin point where he lived. When he joined the army.I am asking because it is possible that you may catch him on a census somewhere or other records in England.  I noticed you were looking in the Sutton,Macclsfield,Chester, & Cheshire area's. Thats quiet a big scope to search. My geography isn't all that good,but it it improving ;D I know there are Two Sutton's and one is in the south of england. I cant remember where the other is. Henry would be what? 21 when he joined the army that seem old to me but maybe he fibbed about his age ;D I have myself looked on a few records in Lancashire and Cheshire but never found anything.

Celia

P.S Where in England was daughter Susanna born, that could give some clue's
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 January 05 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Celia I do appreciate your interest.
I have an extraction from the Army Service record of Henry Brindley, which was done by Sue Baddeley, a professional researcher in England. They were done for a relative who passed the information to me. They say Henry was born June 1818 in the Parish of Sutton/Town of macclesfield/County of Chester England. His trade was a tailor/
Henry joined the army at Salford, County Lancaster (Lancashire).
Several people have beeen kind enough to contact me. Alan Hulley sent a message and said that Henry was the brother of his ancestor Elizabeth, born to Henry Brindley, a farmer of Sutton who died in 1821. He says this Henry died leaving 5 children orphaned. (I have been unable to contact him again)
Another sent me the details of the will for Henry, the farmer, it seems that the 5 orphaned children were left in the care of their uncles Samuel and Joseph. The names of the 5 children were Elizabeth, Susanna, Ann, & Samuel. These are all family names in my family.
Yes, according to the military records Henry was 21 yrs when he joined the army and 43 yrs when he came to Australia in 1862. Whether these dates are accurate I can't confirm.
The IGI has my Henry as born 14th September 1819 Chester, Cheshire, England.
He is not in the 1851 or 1861 census. he went to India and then South Africa with the Army. he was discharged in 1860 and came to Australia 1862.
My thought is that if Henry lied about his age then he could indeed be one of the orphaned children and perhaps that is the reason he joined the Army in Salford and perhaps why he wanted to join the Army.
As for our Susanna I have her death certificate which states that she was 75 in 1927 at her death. This would make her birth 1851/52.
Again thank you for taking the time to consider my information.  kind regards Phyllys

Reilly in Cork, Ireland

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 05 02:21 BST (UK) »
hello it's me again. I have found a birth for a Henry brindley 8/8/1819 ..christened 21/8/2829 Christ Church King Street, Bible Christian, Salford...Father Samuel and Mother Susanna. As the times and the name Susanna ties in with Henry's daughter I am beginning to wonder wheher this may be our Henry. Coould someone please see if there is a marriage for Henry in Salford and abirth for his daughter Susannah.
 would be grateful for any help kind regards Phyllys

Reilly in Cork, Ireland