Author Topic: Rex Foulkes Memorial Race Canberra.  (Read 1567 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rex Foulkes Memorial Race Canberra.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 February 23 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't know if the event is still going I just did a Google and it looks like the ACT race was still going in 2021

regards

Cass

Offline airbornesapper

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Bad Jump is Better than a Day in an Office
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 February 23 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't know if the event is still going I just did a Google and it looks like the ACT race was still going in 2021

regards

Cass

Hi Cass… I saw that… but it looks like the incorporation of the Rex Foulkes Memorial Half Marathon may be at an end as there is no mention since 21 that I can see…

Looks like his home club also held such a race for a time:

“ Canberra Half Marathon History:

The First Annual Rex Foulkes Memorial Half Marathon started at 2pm on Sunday 13th September 1970. The organising committee comprised Peter McCullagh, Rod Calvert and Jack Pennington. Others helping out on the day were Daryl Cross, Joan Cross and Len Dowen.

The first three placegetters were Julian Scott 69.56; Terry McGee 70.30, and Dave McInnes 71.07. The great Dave Power came 6th in this race. Others from the Canberra area who participated that day and are still active within the sport are Graeme Small, Geoff Moore, Pat Fisher and Alan Wilson.

Rex Foulkes had been in Australia 5 years at the time of his death. He was very fond of Canberra and its runners and was a member of the North Canberra Athletic Club. His love of athletics and particularly distance running was so great that in the last 12 months of his life he covered 24,000 miles (approximately 38,000k) in search of competition.

Between 1965 and 1970 he had twice recorded 2 hours 27 minutes for the marathon. He was acknowledged as the most travelled runner in Harrier circles and this was his undoing. On 1 March 1970 Rex said ‘See you next week mates' and was killed in a car accident on the way home to Cooma.

In England Rex was a member of the ‘Vale of Aylesbury and Walton Athletic Club' I know until about 1990 there was a Rex Foulkes Memorial Race held in England.

Rex lived by the following code during his athletic career ‘The important thing is not to win but to take part’.”

Cheers, K

Online tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 February 23 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello both.

Lovely that you've both taken the time to add to the story of Rex. Running must be in the blood, both of my sons were distance runners at school but cross country. They've stopped now they are working.
  K  what a story. I hope no ill effects.
 It's a shame if the race has changed but maybe they've lost those who started it.
 Rexs  mum Grace used to present the prizes for the Aylesbury vale races. One was called the "egg race" I've been told the prize was eggs! Grace died in 1992.
 Thank you both.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk