Author Topic: CAMPBELL, father THOMAS & son JOSEPH  (Read 2291 times)

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAMPBELL, father THOMAS & son JOSEPH
« on: Friday 04 July 08 05:19 BST (UK) »
From Australian marriage records I have  ancestors THOMAS CAMPBELL, born probably about 1820 +or-  married MARY KILPATRICK, both born in Co. Armagh.

Then their son JOSEPH CAMPBELL, probably born about 1840 +or-, also born Co. Armagh. He came to Australia and then married here in Brisbane  to Eliza Jane McCulla (or McCullagh)

However, I have  no details of parish or townland.

Is there any kind person who could suggest how I find them  or if I am lucky, provide any information on them.

With thanks in anticipation

RobynD - in rural NSW
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELL, father THOMAS & son JOSEPH
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 July 08 11:16 BST (UK) »
Does Joseph's death, or marriage, certificate give any clues for his birthplace?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 July 08 12:04 BST (UK) »
there are 4 church baptism records for joseph campbell +or- 4 years from 1840 on the armagh ancestry online site; 1836,1836,1838 and 1841.

you can register for free on the site but if you want to look at a record it costs 5 euros. sorry, i dont know how to put a link on but their address is;
 armagh.brsgenealogy.com
 i have used it myself and its a case of hit and miss but with just 4 records it might be worth it.
 it should give you the date of birth, parents,parish/district and the sponsors,
good luck

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 July 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Trouble is that Campbell is a very common surname and there could be even more than 4 Joseph Campbells in that area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 08 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on the Armagh brsgenealogy site.I have  actually registered with them but as you say TF13, it's a bit of a hit and miss, and as son Joseph marriage and death records here only give his birth as Co. Armagh !!! 

Can you tell me if there is a specific area/parish that Campbells might have  been concentrated in back then, so I could check parish records  and if they are available on the Internet.  They were CoE in Australia, so probably C of Ireland back then.

RobynD.

Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 July 08 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hello RobynD,

The greatest number of Campbells seem to have been in the Parish of Killevy.

Armagh (14)
Ballymore (12)
Clonfeacle (7)
Creggan (19)
Derrynoose (20)
Drumcree (23)
Eglish (5)
Forkhill (4)
Grange (6)
Jonesborough (2)
Keady (26)
Kilclooney (4)
Killevy (40)
Kilmore (13)
Lisnadill (7)
Loughgilly (08)
Loughgall (08)
Montiaghs (3)
Mullabrack (4)
Newry (15)
Newtownhamilton (08)
Seagoe (15)
Shankill (10)
Tartaraghan (30)
Tynan (08)

Christopher

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 July 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
hi, i wouldn't take it for granted that just because they were cofe in australia
then they were cofi in ireland.
  i found a fantastic site,
 connorsgenealogy.com
he has parish records for loughgall and loughgill.
while looking for campbells myself i found loads of links for them, try googling the name with some of the places that christopher listed and see what comes up :) absolutely hours of fun :)
    tony

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 08 03:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Tony for your suggestions as to their religion and also specially googling names and  towns.
I''ll now spend  time doing just that.  Campbells seem to be quite elusive without townlands and parishes, and all Australian records  BDM of Irish immigrants just  show the County, and nothing more.
RobynD