Author Topic: "Empire Steel" torpedoed 1942  (Read 6860 times)

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Empire Steel" torpedoed 1942
« on: Friday 04 July 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is any information about the men who perished when the tanker The Empire Steel was Torpedeod in the Atlantic Ocean in 1942. A relative of mine William Aitken age 17 was one  who perished, I believe at the time, an article was written ,I think by Godfrey Winn but none of the family have a copy. William was born in Toxteth Park Liverpool, sadly his brother John Aitken was also killed age 19  by a hit and run driver while home on leave from the Royal Navy.I have searched Old Liverpool sites and the Liverpool Echo for any reports but cant find anything.regards MM.
AITKEN/AITKIN, BELL, BUSHBY, RITSON.  CLEAR, CLEWORTH, BATE, HAMBLEY, MASON, WELSH/ WALSH, BRADY, LAMB.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TORPEDEOD EMPIRE STEEL1942
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 July 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at both their entries on the CWGC website?  John's age is given as 21 there
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 July 08 22:35 BST (UK) »
It was sunk by U-boat U123 on 24 March 1942.  You will find the details on the following site:

http://www.ubootwaffe.net/ops/boat.cgi?boat=123

there is a link to some details of the ship on the right hand side.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 July 08 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Imber and David, just looked on CWGC site and found both brothers William was a cabin boy age 16 and found were the memorial is also that John was also killed on active service which is not what i was told but  it is the same boys as it names the parents  just going to look on the site you gave David, thanks so much for your help regards MM :)
AITKEN/AITKIN, BELL, BUSHBY, RITSON.  CLEAR, CLEWORTH, BATE, HAMBLEY, MASON, WELSH/ WALSH, BRADY, LAMB.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 July 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
Glad you found that helpful, but what makes you think John was killed on active service?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: "Empire Steel" torpedoed 1942
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 July 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
MM

do you have a full list of those lost or would you like a copy?

And John is listed as having Died on War Service, which implies that it was an accident/non-operational cause.

K

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 July 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
Yes Kyt you are right I had another look and I misred the entry,that would be correct as I believe John was killed by a hit and run driver while on leave from the Royal Navy, thanks for the info and your time Regards MM. :)

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 July 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, a copy would be great, thanks again regards MM. :)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 July 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Tanker EMPIRE STEEL official number 166313 built in 1941 for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT)

24.3.42 Torpedoed and sunk by gunfire by U-123 (Hardegen), in the Atlantic NE of Bermuda, in position 37.45N 63.17W while sailing independently on a voyage from Baton Rouge 13.3.42 to the UK via Halifax NS, with a cargo of 11000 tons of aviation spirit and kerosene. The Master, Capt William John Gray, 6 crew and 1 gunner were rescued by US
tug EDMUND J. MORAN 336/40 towing US ship ROBERT E. LEE 5184/25 and landed at Norfolk, Virginia. 35 crew and 4 gunners were lost.

Also have a look here for an account and a photo of the vessel: http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/1469.html

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO