Author Topic: The Hagg Village, Prudhoe Castle  (Read 4711 times)

Offline CB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Hagg Village, Prudhoe Castle
« on: Sunday 06 July 08 12:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me about this address,
" Private House, The Hagg Village, Prudhoe Castle, Hexham".
It is listed on the 1891 as the address of my 14 year old Gt Grandmother. I suspect she was in Domestic Service!

CB
Bell, Foreman, Bryson, Cock, Ward, Scott.  - Alnwick area.
Jobling, Gilbraith, Slowther, Wears, Trotter, Skelton, Farmer. - Sunderland Area.
Wells, Priest, Groom, Plane, Surfling, Pegg, Cox.  - North Norfolk.
Wade, Wells, Cockcroft. -  Stockton.
Hallas, Cockcroft.  - Leeds area.
Palmer, Wears.  - Hartlepool.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: The Hagg Village, Prudhoe Castle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 08 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

You could have asked me when I posted the census info.  All the houses on the page were listed as 'private house, The Hagg village' so just ordinary house or cottage

Enumeration page states:
The whole of the civic parish of Prudhoe Castle, comprising Low Prudhoe, Prudhoe Castle, Castle Farm, Hinds Houses, New Wylam, Gardeners House, Haggs Farm, Haggs Colliery Cottages, Cottages at Railway Points, Station House, Boat House Inn, Broom Houses, Masters Close

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline CB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara,
It was more of a question about the history behind the name "Haggs Village" that i was trying to ask. Sorry it wasn't worded clearly.
 :-X
Chris
Jobling, Gilbraith, Slowther, Wears, Trotter, Skelton, Farmer. - Sunderland Area.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Here's a link to the Durham Mining Museum site, which shows Prudhoe colliery and behind that you can see an area of Prudhoe Castle called The Haughs, possibly where the name came from

http://www.dmm-gallery.org.uk/maps/p017os1.htm

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 23 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me about this address,
" Private House, The Hagg Village, Prudhoe Castle, Hexham".
It is listed on the 1891 as the address of my 14 year old Gt Grandmother. I suspect she was in Domestic Service!

CB

This is also the address give to my great grandmother in the 1901 census. Prudhoe castle, Hagg cottages No10.

I have found very little on it.

Offline CB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 January 23 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
The Hogg seem to have had a connection with this house/village but I have never found a great deal of information. I think they moved there from Mickley.
Isabella Hogg was my g/grandmother. Her daughter Annie married a Matthew Thompson….are you related?

Chris

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 23 13:11 GMT (UK) »
The image is of the 1839 tithe map superimposed on the 19th century OS map. The tithe map shows that the promontory formed by the loop in the Tyne was then referred to as The Hag, and Hagg Cottages are visible in the background map just below the label for The Hag. This may be derived from the word hough/haugh meaning flat ground by the side of a river. The -hoe of Prudhoe is thought to come from the same root. Note there are also some cottages called Hagg Bank Cottages at the bottom eastern corner of the promontory (the name is partly cut off).

According to the tithe map the land was then owned by The Right Honourable Algernon Prudhoe, Lord Prudhoe and occupied by John Prudhoe Esq., Joseph Bell Esq. and William Laws Esq. The area encompassing The Hag and land to the south is labelled as Prudhoe Park on the tithe map.There is a relevant obituary in the Newcastle Courant, Friday 21st January 1842:

At the Hagg Farm near Prudhoe Castle, on the 18th inst., aged 75, much respected, Mr John Prudhoe; the family having lived on the farm upwards of 120 years.

Hagg Farm is still there, according to modern OS maps. The Wikipedia page for Prudhoe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudhoe?wprov=sfti1 mentions Hagg Bank which has its own page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagg_Bank?wprov=sfti1 relating to the Hagg Bank Cottages, not the Hagg Cottages.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 23 13:13 GMT (UK) »
And here is a link to a side-by-side map view of The Hag:

https://tinyurl.com/2z4ccra7

It may be my imagination, but I think that you can see traces of the outline of the Hagg Cottages on the satellite view.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline CB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 23 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this Alan.
Definitely not your imagination re the remaining outline of the buildings. Lots of information here to look at which will add to the scant information I have re my g/grand mother’s early life.
Thank you for your time, I have copied the urls so I can research at leisure.

Chris.