Author Topic: Begg family, Glasgow  (Read 1500 times)

Offline LittleLondoner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Begg family, Glasgow
« on: Sunday 06 July 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I posted this on another thread, but it was suggested to try here too - I'm trying to find out about my grandmother's cousins
Barbara Begg b Jul 1921 and Jane Cowan Begg b Jan 1926. I appreciate they may still be living, but my Nan died 16 years ago so I wondered if sadly they had too?

They lived in Glasgow (Dorset Street and Newton Terrace) as far as I know. Their parents were James Begg and Margaret Montgomery. ANother kind rootchatter has found the marriage of James and Margaret, but that is the only info I have.

I can't seem to find a marriage for either Barabara or Jane? If anyone could do a birth / marriage or death lookup for me that would be great.

Would also love to hear from anybody who is related or has any info that might help  :) 
THOMAS - esp in Swindon Wiltshire, Guernsey, RSA and Wales
NEW - esp in Winterbourne Monkton / Marlborough
COOPER - esp in Lechlade / Little Faringdon / Little London / Great Faringdon / Faringdon / Swindon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Begg family, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 08 19:55 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to your other thread with suggestions posted of where to try next:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,312933.msg1949629.html#msg1949629

See Scotland's People website for what information is on Scottish certificates and how to purchase credits to view them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Begg family, Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi LittleLondoner,
On SP you can only view certs upto a certain date.
So Barbara and Jane's birth certs and any possible marriage certs will have to be ordered. Although as you already know their birth dates and parents names you won't get much more information from them anyway.

Elaine gave you the marriage details of their parents James Begg and Margaret Montgomery. From this I've found the marriage details of James Begg's parents. David Begg and Jane Cowan.

David and Jane married 23 Jan 1880 in Glasgow. Davids parents were David Begg (farmer) and Janet Gunn.
Jane Cowan's parents were Alexander Cowan (dairyman) and Janet Keith.
Witnesses to the marriage were William Begg and Margaret Cowan.

David died 20 Nov 1908 aged 52, Glasgow.
Jane died 11 Feb 1895 aged 38, Glasgow.

I don't know how much use this will be to you. I'm not sure how far back you wish to go or if you are just looking for more recent relations??

Sueky  :)
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)