Author Topic: Cregg Mill  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cregg Mill
« on: Sunday 06 July 08 19:49 BST (UK) »
Driving between Annaghdown & Claregalway,I came across a very large grey building, this impressive building was once Cregg Mill.I found from Annaghdown GAA Club site that it was built around 1820's ,it would have obviously played an important part in the lives of local people , I would have though at  the time of the famine there would have been queues of people outside this mill-I would be very interested in any snippets of info on this building- of people that may have worked there! or taken their grain or got grain/flour from Cregg Mill any info at all would be great-I would just love to know more about this building.Regards Nipy

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cregg Mill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Nipy, have you tried looking through some of the pages of the Old galway news papers. I am sure you will find something on the mill in them?
Migky ;)

OLD GALWAY NEWS PAPERS

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hey Migky great info as always.I'm of to spend some time on that site now ,what a great way to spend a wet afternoon,Thank you Nipy

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Nipy,

There's a photo of the mill on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cregg_Mill

Christopher

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 07:21 BST (UK) »
Nice one Christopher,that must be the back view,as when I drove by, the road runs right beside it. Nice to to know the wheel is still used for a display in a Galway Hotel.I may email the the hotel & ask if they have any written history of the Cregg Mill water wheel,just an idea that's hit my brain cell.Thank you regards Nipy.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 July 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Just something else I found when looking at an old o/s map I see there are 3 mill buildings  (they are all listed as mills)on the site where the one Cregg Mill stands now.Anyone that has stayed  Cregg Castle must have seen this building.Regards Nipy