Author Topic: Map of Kendal  (Read 14484 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Map of Kendal
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Union Street is separated from Fellside by the Windermere Road but is only a couple of minutes walk away.

There is another book called "Kendal on Tenterhooks", probably published by the Westmorland Gazette, though, as my copy seems to have gone walkabout at the moment, I can't be certain. It tells the story of Kendal's wollen industry will give you more information on Fellside.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 July 08 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen.

Another book to look for. Much appreciated.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

From the previous messages and your google map, you will no doubt have a perspective of the area, but you may like to know that Kendal Records Office has 3 large scale street plans of the town as at 1767, 1833 & 1853 for £2.50/£3.00 each. These include the Workhouse and House of Correction (not that I'm suggesting that your ancestors were inmates) and may give you more of an idea of which buildings were standing at that time. You could put one on your Christmas list!

Regards

Chris

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 July 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris.

What a great idea - Christmas list! Although I know for sure that I'd have to actually order it - most of my family think I'm mad as it is, with all this 'digging up dead people business'. They just don't get it, do they?   ::)

That 1767 map sounds ideal. Funnily enough, I've just ordered some parish register copies from the Kendal RO and the people there have been really helpful. Really nice people.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 July 08 17:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry Jill, I've given you duff info.

John Wood's map is 1787 (not 1767)

Chris

Offline Joe39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
Jill,
I have all three maps.
The road shown as Low Fellside on current day maps is shown as just Fellside on the 1833 map but as Low Fellside on the other two maps.

I am sure that Fellside was part of Stricklandgate Ward in 1787, as my 4x great grandfather, Richard Troughton, is listed there and is shown as 'of Fellside' at his burial in 1798.

Derek.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Derek.

Forgive me if we've already done this - I have a terrible memory - but was your Richard Troughton who died in 1798 connected at all to Richard baptised 1707 in Kendal s/o William & Agnes?

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Joe39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 15:37 BST (UK) »
Jill,

My Richard was said to be aged 87 when he died, so I think he was more likely the one baptised 14 March 1713 - s/o Thos & Dory.

I do also have another Troughton ancestor, Ann, (who married Richard Braithwaite in 1773) and how she is connected I have still to find out.

Regards,
Derek

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
My Richard Troughton (1707) and his wife Jane (who I still haven't located) had a daughter Ann baptised Kendal 1748. She'd be just right to be marrying in 1773 - although I see there's one of those IGIs submitted by an LDS member which has her marrying a John Bell in 1769.

I've just checked my notes and I don't have her dying in infancy (which is not to say she didn't of course!!) nor do I have her marriage.

There are so many Troughtons in Kendal (though hardly any in the rest of the country) that it's very difficult to tie them all together - especially with those vital missing 17th century PRs. If we had them, we might just be able to work out who's related to who!  ;D

Jill
HELP!!!