Author Topic: Vic BMD - Tingman  (Read 8942 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria BMDs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 July 08 02:39 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TINGMAN
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 July 08 02:40 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 July 08 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Denise

As mentioned by others, you can save the cost of accessing the indexes with a query on RootsChat, as the same index is available on CD. The Victorian birth indexes contain parent names (well at least  the mother, sometimes not the father), death indexes contain parent names (if known by the informant) and marriages show both parties names. Some early ones also give a birthplace for the couple. If you decide to buy a certificate - details are as given by Jenn - $AU17.50  

As far as the exchange rate is concerned, I think credit cards charge a small fee on top of the exchange rate, but it is usually somewhat insignificant. You should be able to get details from your card supplier. With the current exchange rate, the 99cents would probably be less than 50p. $17.50 would be 8 to 9 pounds. There are conversions available online. If you do use the online index, remember to give the query in a manner to return as many entries as possible that you want from the one query. A full page of index records costs the same as one line.

Apart from the Family links index at the Tas archives (taken from their early index to 1900) some folks on RC also have CD indexes for Tasmania.  The AVRI which you can buy from the LDS in England for 7 pounds has the Tasmanian index to 1899 and the Victorian index (with a mixup on some locations) to 1888. A more recent Tas CD has information to 1930 (I think)

I do not see a birth for William Tingman in Tasmania - but it may be misspelt. Some of the information at the archives assumes details from other records e.g. birth date assumed from age at marriage

These are the Tasmania records I see to 1899 - but I haven't checked alternate spellings
Henry Havelock Tingman (aged A) married Ellen Mabel BOYD (aged A) 10 Jan 1894 ref 429
Frances Isabella Tingman (aged 27) married Benjamin John PRESCOTT (aged 27) 7 Sep 1897 ref 918
William Alexander Tingman (aged 30) married Ada Honora McKenzie (aged 28) 21 Dec 1898 ref 738

Early Tasmanian certificates do not contain as much information as those from other Eastern States.

Trish

Edit: Hi Cando - after typing all that I wasn't going to delete it to read another thread  ;D - now I will probably find it all listed elsewhere.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 July 08 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi cando,
Ah, yes. Looks like it is details on the Victorian events benzon is interested in now.  She has been advised on the Tasmanian details as you have linked.
Sue
ADDING. Can't remember whether you have already got.....

Interrment.  Tingman, ADA HONORA aged 88 18/2/1956 at Fawkner Crem/Cem. Alone. Cremated.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 July 08 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

What can I say but wow and wow again.

Time difference here means that I have just crawled out of bed so haven't had time to go through all the postings properly yet.  But this is all so, so fantastic.  This is the information on the Tingman family that I have -

Children of James Tingman b abt 1815 Scotland and Sarah (on another posting Troods has given me their marriage now in Victoria)

Mary E Tingman b Australia 1856
Frances J Tingman b Australia 1859
Henry Havelock Tingman b Victoria 1861
John Edward Tingman b Birkdale, Lanc 1866 (he is the chap that went to Canada and married my grandfather's half sister)
William Alexander Tingman b Birkdale, Lancs 1969
Robert Tingman born Birkdale, Lancs 1871

Troods has actually found a few more for me too.    I had already found the Nominal Roll for WW2 but, of course, the aim would now be to trace those back and see where they fit in.

Really, really intrigued with this lot and their wander lust especially as my feet remain firmly in Hertfordshire where my grandfather's half sister was born.  ::)  Anything else anyone can come up with would be absolutely great.

Am out for most of today so might not be able to get back to you all straight away but you can be assured that it wont be sitting around for long without a reply.

This site is such a wonderful tool and the generosity of people is so very much appreciated.

Thank you all for your input and time.

Cheers
Denise xx
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 July 08 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am still not quite sure what you are looking for in your

Tingman lines, but I noted the following in case it is of interest.

William Percy Tingman when he joined up aged 18 for ww1, said he was born in Townsville, Qld and his NOK was Robert Tingman.

I am assuming [always dangerous!] that he is your Robert Tingman born 1871.
A look at Queensland's bdm records shows a marriage of Robert T.

1896/1998 Duncan, Louisa Matilda. Tingman Robert.

Also Birth.
 1897/C11101 Tingman Louie. Father Robert Tingman. Mother Louisa Matilda Duncan.
1897/C11283 Tingman, William Percy. Father [as above]. Mother [as above]
Death. 1896/C436 Tingman Louie. Father [as above Mother [as above]

So the family did move about.
By the time William Percy enlisted, the father's address was in Melbourne.

Look also for Frances Isabella Prescott, 45 year old nurse in ww1. W. Tingman, sister in law, is her NOK.
She was born 1870 in Gisborne and married in Tas to Benjamin PRESCOTT according to Tas Family Links.

Sue
Edit to correct mother surname.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I found a picture of Roy MacKenzie Tingman in his regiment days. VX51019

He is the one last on the right, front row I think.

Had to shrink the link.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/03t3/

Sue

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Grateful thanks again.  Not really looking for anything specific.  Until 24 hours ago all I had was the marriage of a Henry Havelock Tingman in Tasmania from the IGI and the fact that I couldn't find them on any UK census return after 1881.  Inclination was therefore that the family had returned to Australia which very much looks to be the case now.  I can now look at all the info everyone has so kindly provided and start piecing it all together.

Just picked up your further message whilst typing this.  Your are a star.

Cheers
Denise xx
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:57 BST (UK) »
electoral roll for 1936
Tasmania Launceston living at Wellington Street

Henry Havelock Tingman commercial traveller
Mabel Ellen Havelock home duties

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au