Author Topic: Westmorland Burial Index  (Read 7102 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Westmorland Burial Index
« on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:08 BST (UK) »
Is there such a thing as a Westmorland/Cumbria Burial Index? If so, does anyone have access to it and would be willing to do a few look ups for me?  :-*

Often wondered why nothing from this county appears on Family History Online.  ???

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Westmorland Burial Index
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 08 23:34 BST (UK) »
What/who are you looking for? If it is in Kendal. I might be able to help.

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 July 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I was hoping to find some of my Troughtons' burials in Kendal - and a couple of others in Clifton.

If you can help with Kendal, that would be great. Looking for:

John Troughton (born 1750) and his wife Rebecca (c.1743-50), (their last known child baptised 1784).

Richard Troughton (1707) and his wife Jane (baptism not known), (their last known child baptised 1755).

William Troughton (1684) and his wife Agnes (1685), (their last known child baptised 1707).

Thomas Troughton & his wife Agnes (last known child baptised 1695).

If you can help with any of the above, I'd be very grateful.  ;D

Thanks.

Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 July 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I have been promising myself some time in Kendal records offices so maybe this is the excuse I need. But it will be some time next week before I can do it. If anyone else comes up with a quicker offer, jump at it. I offered to help someone else on a Kendal problem some time ago and then my life went crazy ( mother died) and I didn't get round to doing it. Still feel guilty so maybe I can do them both together.

My daughters went to school with Troughtons in Kendal, so they are still here!

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 July 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen,

That's really good of you - but no need to feel guilty if events overtake you - I know what it's like!

Kendal seems to have been the centre of the universe for Troughtons! I often wonder if the Troughton acting family are any relation. I still remember Patrick Troughton - the second - I think - Doctor Who. He was my favourite, until David Tennant came along!!  ::)

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 July 08 13:30 BST (UK) »
The local phone directory still has a fair number of Troughtons but not masses. I remember Patrick as Dr. Who and more recently, one I assume was a grandson in Robin Hood. They all look the same!

You can keep David Tennant. I preferred the one before him but can't remember his name.

Jen

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 July 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Christopher Eccleston - he was good as well. The one I never cared for very much was that Sylvester somebody or other. I think he was responsible for it being scrapped first time round.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Loganberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 July 08 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
from the notes of another  Troughton family researcher.

Burial: Holy Trinity Kendal [Parish Church]

Rebecca, wife of John Troughton of Fell side
15th January 1827 age 85

Regards
Carol

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 July 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Thanks so much for that. That's certainly my Rebecca - they were from Fellside.

Not only have you given me her burial details but, by including her age at death, you've confirmed a tentative birth/baptism I'd found for her in 1743. I'd been a bit dubious about it because it made her nearly 8 years older than her husband.

I've just returned to my Westmoreland/Cumberland ancestors after concentrating on other branches for a while. I didn't really expect to find much but, thanks to Rootschat (and that very expensive Nonconformist BMD site for the Quakers in this branch - I can't tell you how much I've just spent on that site, or I'd have to kill you!!  :-X) I'm going great guns.  ;D

When you say 'from the notes of another Troughton family researcher', is that you? Or have you found something else? I don't suppose there's anything for Rebecca's husband John? - it sounds as though he must have survived her or I assume they'd have put 'widow of' instead of 'wife of'. If you are the fellow Troughton researcher - I'm happy to share what I've got on them.

I'm just getting too hyper now - I suppose I should really stop and make the tea!!

Jill
HELP!!!