Author Topic: Westmorland Burial Index  (Read 7101 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Westmorland Burial Index
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 July 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Sorry - just realised that we have been in touch before! It's getting to me!!  :-[

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill, 

Another one of Patrick's grandsons, Jim, plays county cricket for Worcestershire and was on SKY SPORTS' Cricket A.M. last Saturday, but I think they come from the Midlands.

Regards

Chris

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I was in Kendal Records Offices this morning and managed to have a bit of a trawl through the burial records for Troughtons. Unfortunately, these records haven't been transcribed so it was a case of going through the micro-films, which are not the clearest in the world, so I didn't get very far. I decided that the best bet was to note all Troughton burials and to let you decide if any of them are yours.

So here goes.

A couple of early ones:

MI Inscription:
In the west floor of Kendal Holy Trinity - Here Lieth ye Body of Mrs. Agnes Troughton Late Wife of Mr. Miles Troughton who died sixth day of Sepber in the year of our Lord 1694. aetatis suae 80.

From burial records:

Oct 30th 1714 Margaret, wife of Stephen Troughton of Highgate
6th Jan 1715 - The son of Wm Troughton of Felside, deceased

Assuming this was your William, I need to go back to look at a different reel of film to see if I can find a record of his death.

So I moved on to a later period.

March 19 1754 - Dorothy, wife of Thomas Troughton, Bradley Field ( Just outside Kendal)
Dec 15 1754 - Elizabeth, duu of Richard and Ann Troughton, Bradley Field

Aug 2 1755 William, son of Thomas and Mary Troughton, Felside
Nov 9 1755 - Jane wife of Richard Troughton, Felside This looks promising, I think.

Jan 28 1756 - Miles, son of Matthew and Elizabeth Troughton, Felside
March 18 1756 - Richard, son of Richard Troughton of Kendal Workhouse
April 20 1756 - Thomas, son Thomas and Mary Troughton, Felside
June 2 1756 - Margaret, dau Matthew and Elizabeth Troughton, Felside
August 21 1756 - Margaret wife of John Troughton, Bradley Field
Oct31 1756 - Lucy, wife of Thomas Troughton, Fellside

April 29 1757 - Charles, son of Thomas and Mary Troughton, Felside

Feb 25 1758 - Thomas, son of Jno and Mary Troughton, Felside
March 3 1758 - Mary, dau Richard and Ann Troughton, Felside.

I stopped at the end of 1758 because my eyes were going round in circles but if you want me to have another go, I'm more than happy to do so. Just don't hold your breath, it could be a while before I get back!

Cheers,

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Thanks so much for your efforts.

Some of these burials tell a bit of a sad story - very early deaths. Poor Jane was only about 40-45 and it looks as if her husband Richard was in the workhouse immediately afterwards and lost a son Richard there - possibly Jane died after giving birth to him. Then, Richard may have remarried because there is a daughter Mary's burial in 1758, but daughter of Richard & Ann.

Going back to the 1715 burial for a son of William, deceased - I agree, this looks like my William. I only had 2 children for him, last one (my Richard) baptised 1707. I always wondered why I couldn't find any more, so it looks as if he may have died soon after 1707, and definetly before 1715. I wonder if his widow remarried?

Oooh!! Lots to get my teeth into there!!  ;D ;D

I'd be really grateful if you did ever find time to look for more, but, as you say, I won't bank on it. I'm just pleased with what you've already found for me - thank you.

If there's ever anything you'd like looking up at the Beverley RO (East Yorks) - just let me know. I go every few weeks to do some look ups.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I'm glad to have found something of use to you. I wondered about Richard being yours and had come to more or less the same conclusion.

I listed some baptisms too and will post them if you think they could be of use. They were between 1680 - 1700. I started doing it then decided that you probably had them so moved on to burials. I was about to tackle marriages but as I said earlier, my eyes went wobbly!

My partner has some East Yorkshire ancestors - just north of Hull, so I'm not sure whether they would come under Beverley but thanks for the offer.

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Yes please - I'd love to have the baptisms as well! I've been starved of Kendal info for so long that I'm like a kiddie with lots of sweets!!  ::)

As for East Yorkshire - I'm north of Hull!! Beverley, to be precise. So any of your partners ancestors should be in the parishes covered by the local RO. Just let me know what you need.

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
Do any of these come into your area?

Easington, Drypool, Sproatley, Withernwick, North Newbald and Aldborough. I think they are all in that sort of between Hull and Beverley bit but maybe towards the coast????

Baptisms: These have been transcribed so I didn't see the originals.

8/10/1682 Richard, son of Thomas T. of Felside
9/3/1684 - William, son Thomas T. Stricklandgate
14/3/1684 - William, son of Stephen T. of Stricklandgate ( Fellside)
9/5/1686 - Stephen, son of Thomas T. Stricklandgate
12/6/1686 - Mary, dau, of Stephen T. Fellside
8/7/1688 - Jonathan - son of Thomas T. Felside
5/5/1689 - Eliz(abeth), dau of Stephen T. ( Troughtan), Stricklandgate
21/9/1690 - Richard, son of Tho(mas) T. Felside
6/10/1695 - Agnes, dau of Thomas T. Felside

Spelling of Fellside varies and where I have put brackets, I am copying the transcription.

That's it for now. Hope it helps.

Jen

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jen.

All those children of Thomas T. are my William and his siblings.  ;D

Yes - all those parishes are in east Yorkshire and, as you say, pretty much round the Hull area and towards the coast. Aldborough is on the coast and is one of those places which is disappearing rapidly due to coastal erosion. I have ancestors in North Newbald myself.

All the PRs should be at the RO.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 18:52 BST (UK) »
In which case - you just might be hearing from me!

Jen :) :)