Author Topic: WHITTLE family fairground connection  (Read 87778 times)

Offline wayne whittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHITTLE family fairground connection
« Reply #162 on: Monday 08 August 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Drewy was one of the UK's longest living downs syndrome females

Offline wayne whittle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello All
Just had some info, if you go back to page 14 look at reply 134, the picture at the bottom listed as unknown Whittles
in the picture the man on the right is George Alfred senior, the man on the left is Billy Smith senior his brother in-law and partner in the Smith's and Whittles Fair.
I still cannot work out if the lady on the right is Lavinia because the lady on the left looks more like her in her later life pictures, if the lady on the right is Lavinia she lost a lot of weight when she got old.
I cannot work out who the baby is either, but that is G A Whittle sitting on the right

Offline pezzar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all sorry i have been away for so long. I am attempting to locate pictures of my grandafather Tom Whittle, maybe his face will ring a bell with some of you

Regards

Perry Whittle

Offline desmondvalkyrias

• I am very sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Saturday 07 January 12 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne

thank you for the photographs, especially the photo of my grandmother Jane Sedgewick who was well known around the Weybridge parish as aunt Jane. She even had her own seat in the snug bar of the Crown pub, Thames St, Weybridge  :)

If you have any further pictures or information around the family i would be most grateful if you would communicate them to me. Please feel free to send a PM

Regards

Desmond Whittle

PS

Pezzars father and Son of Thomas William Whittle
John Whittle in this same thread is my younger brother

Offline wayne whittle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Desmond
There is a mountain of picture still to get through, I was always aware of a Whittles of Weybridge connection since attending boarding school in Yateley, where on arrival one of the teachers (who lived in Weybridge) asked me if I was one of the Whittles from Weybridge?
Its amazing we never met any as we only lived in Chertsey a mile or two up the Road.
If I come across any old pictures I will post them as this is the best way to preserve them.
Best regards
Wayne

Offline desmondvalkyrias

• I am very sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Sunday 18 March 12 22:16 GMT (UK) »
 ??? Hi Deb, I am des whittle of Weybridge Surrey - Perry Whittle.s  dad. The one thing that is for sure is that there have been more Georges in the Whittle family than there have been in the Royal Family. I knew from what my mother told me that thyere was a connection between the Weybridge Whittle's and the fairground Whittle's. The Whittle's seem to be an aloof family only ever meeting at funerals, high days and holidays so to speak. My father was Tom Whittle and he had brothers name: Jim, George, Albert, Bob and Charlie. There were two daughters called Phyllis and Dorothy -I think I've got them all. Bob as far as I know was taken P.O.W at Dunkirk and I should imagine many of the fairground Whittle's were called to arms during world warII. I will be interested in how you progress with searching the family background. Best Wishes. Des Whittle

Offline Shelley Teres

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Monday 11 June 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Des.  My dad is Lionel, son of George Whittle (born/lived in Radnor Rd, Weybridge) and Jane Williams, great grandson of Jane Sedgwick and George Whittle.  I went to Thames Valley Grammar school and a year or two higher than me was a Whittle (can't remember her Christian name now), I always denied being related to her, but I guess we most probably were related, at that age you only think about your immediate family.  George and Jane had Iris, Joan, Betty, Lionel, George (died within a few weeks of birth) George (birth name Jack, but known as George) (died in 2006) Nadine, Shirley and Christine. Sadly only Lionel, Nadine, Iris and Shirley are still living.  There certainly seem to have been a lot of Whittles around Weybridge. 

Offline ETurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Monday 01 June 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
I have a newspaper cutting which says that George Alfred Whittle passed away on February 9th 1941

Offline jackieMARY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sunday 27 December 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edwina

I have been looking into the Hickey family of Richmond...

I found this;

In 1901 there is a James Hickey, 41 boiler maker b Leeds married to a Rebecca, 37 b Suffolk, They have the following children:
Amanda BRADLEY 18
Albert HICKEY 13
James HICKEY 11
William HICKEY 9
Bernard HICKEY 7
all living in Richmond Surrey

In 1891 they have a Kate Whittle, 20 living with them

I found this marriage;
Henry Inkerman BRADLEY = Rebecca WHITTLE in 1882

I have not been able to find her marriage to James Hickey the boiler maker yet.

deb :)