Author Topic: Capt W G Foster GC MC DCM  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Capt W G Foster GC MC DCM
« on: Friday 11 July 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi to all,

I have had help before on this gentleman who was my grandfather, from kind people on here.    He was 2AB war/WWI France/Home Guard - killed 1942.    He began the lst WW as a CSM/Quartermaster and in 1916 (I think) was a Captain.   As far as I knew he was at the Somme then wounded at St. Elois and then went on to instructor duties when recovered i.e. musketry school in Hythe and Horsemanship.    I knew from his MIC card that he had been seconded to a British Military Mission in Washington but absolutely nothing about what he did there.   My sister has a contact in USA who found out the following from American/Canadian sources which means nothing to me or her (Incidentally, I have just been told by the MOD that his service record cannot be found).

British Military Mission in Washington DC in 1917:  25.5.1917 

The British War Mission left American soil and crossed into Canada today after six weeks of conferences which are expected vitally to affect the future of this country, if not the world.

Canadian Unit in France in 1916 with  Cap. W.G. Foster as Quartermaster and then Adjutant

On the 1st of August 1916 the 54th Kootenay Battalion, Canadian Army was relieved by the 7th Battalion, moving back into brigade support and taking up its abode in the cellars of Lievin.   During the months to follow we were to become acquaninted very intimately with this town of Lievin, more especially its cellars and underground passages, also its many dangerous spots, such as Napoo Corner, The Square, Crow Dump and such other places where the pursuit of our profession called us.   Memories to be associated with our stay in this town will be chiefly composed of Hun gas and 5.9's, flying bricks and salvaged fruit and vegetables from the old French gardens.

About this time Capt W.G. Foster, who had been our Quartermaster since the beginning, took over the duties of Adjutant.

On the 10th August the Battalion again moved to the front line.   During the whole of this period large working parties were called for, many new trenches being dug and preliminary arrangements made for the taking of Lens.   The month alternated between front line tours and tours in reserve and support.   A hurry up call was received on 21st to go to Lievin from Zouave Valley (where the Battalion then was) to support the 10th Brigade.   This was successfully accomplished in a very short time, in spite of heavy shelling by the Bosche.

First of all, I find it hard to believe this is the same man in that having been injured in 1915 (I think) he was back in the field.    He certainly was a Quartermaster - not sure what an Adjutant is!    I have never heard of any of the events at Lens, Lievin, Zouave Valley and what "10th Brigade".   William Foster (or Walter Gordon as the army seemed to call him with the correct army number 12391) was a Royal Fusilier - I think when he went to Washington he went as Army Service Corps - he was, however, discharged as a Royal Fusilier in 1920.

Does the above scenario seem compatible with this man's MIC and what about the battles - I have never heard of them.   

Would be interested to hear other's comments and grateful for them.   I am sorry this is so long.   [I do not know the source of the info this chap supplied to my sister but he is a Ret Col from the US army (Vietnam Vet) and also a retired priest so it should be good]

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: Capt W G Foster GC MC DCM
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 08 21:25 BST (UK) »
Well, this looks like an extract from either a war diary of some description, or a post war memoir, of which there were loads....

It would be extremely useful for your sister to press her contact for the source of the int given! Your chap could probably be pinned down a bit more then! 

As Wiki often says "citation required"!

We would need to be reminded of his MIC to confirm the details posted...

As for the Adjutant...He is the "senior subultern" of a unit and is in charge of admin and discipline, especially amongst the young officers. It is he who guides the Commanding Officer on matters relating to Kings  (Queens) Regulations and the application thereof....Usually a captain, but in WW1 lieutenants were known to hold this appointment.

He could have been re badged upon commissioning, and then transferred back to the fusiliers thereafter.. Not an impossible situation, but rare...

Have you crossed referenced with the Army Lists for 1916-1920?
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 July 08 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,

I've been through every London Gazette entry I could find (about 10) for W G Foster and he is consistently Royal Fusiliers. Also found him on one entry as Walter Gordon Foster.

I think you have two different men, as I've just checked the MICs on TNA and there are two for a WG Foster, Canadian Infantry.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03ti/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/03tj/

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 July 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
Sue,

The two links I gave you above are for gallantry awards etc.
The two below should be for your WG Foster's gallantry awards, both before he was commisioned:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03tl/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/03tm/

And I've just found this, which 99% confirms that there were two W G Fosters:

http://www.54thbattalioncef.ca/WARPAGES/Ops1915.htm

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 July 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Scrimmet and Forrester,

Thank you so much for responding.    I think you have proved this is not the same man BUT ..................?

I have printed off your replies and will scan to my sister to take to America with her when she sees her contact.

Have not crosschecked with Army List - I am afraid I don't know how and probably don't have access if its Anc.co.

I have put his MIC card on here (I hope).

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)