Author Topic: Jones Family/Llanllyfni,Caernarfonshire  (Read 5396 times)

Offline My Don

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones Family/Llanllyfni,Caernarfonshire
« on: Friday 11 July 08 16:00 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family of Owen Jones(cc 1854) from Denio his father was Griffith Jones a farmer. He married Mary Roberts/Morris from the Halfway Inn in the parish of Llanllyni 13th April 1877.  Owen was a tailor by trade and on the 1901 Census  he was living in Hyfrwyd Rd, Talysarn with three of his children(Mary had died)
Jane Jones aged 20 Born 1880
Leonard Jones  aged 8  Born 1892
Owen Jones aged 12 Born 1888
His youngest daughter Emily Jones Born 1891 was living with her Nain Jane Morris (74 years of age) at the Halfway Inn, Llanllyfni.
Owen also had another daughter Ellen Jones Born l885 in LLanllyfni.
Ellen married a Richard Parry Williams from The White Horse. Bangor Street in 1908(My Nain and Taid) they had a son Robert born in l915(my father).
Two daughters Eleanor Born 1909 and Margaret Born 1911 at the White Horse,
In 1918 Richard Parry Williams died he was living in North Penrallt.   Ellen left my Father with a family also called Williams who ran a butcher shop in Caernarvon.  They lived in Pool Street and penparc, Llanfaflan.
Ellen then took her two daughter with her to England looking for work.
I have never met any of the Jones Family or heard of my two aunts Eleanor and Margaret they would be in their 90's.

If anyone could throw any light on this family I would be over the moon.

RobertaWilliams

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Family/Llanllyfni,Caernarfonshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
hi Roberta

Welcome to rootschat :) 

What a sad story.  Do you have birth certificates for Eleanor 1909 and Margaret 1911?  If either of them died after 1984 it might be possible to trace them back through their dates of birth.  Hope joining rootschat helps you find them.

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline onesugar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Roberta

.. apologies for being slightly off topic but I was reading this topic and noticed that you have relatives that lived at the White Horse Inn , Caernarfon.

I have recently discovered where my relatives ( Rosen family ) were living in Caernarfon during the 1920s and 1930’s  .. a relative remembers living at the White Horse Inn with her big family .. they would have moved in around the mid 1920s .. looking at various web sites I think the address of the White Horse Inn to be  29 Bangor Street,  .. are you or anyone else  able to confirm this? .. if you could, I would be ever so grateful.

I don’t suppose you ( or anyone else )  have any pictures of the White Horse Inn??  Or have any idea what it looked like at any time. 

it would be nice to know..

best wishes..

Jayne.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
The only photo of the White Horse that I've seen is this one. Not very good subject matter, but it does give you an idea of what it looked like. This was in the early 1930's after the hotel burnt down.

Offline onesugar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
wow .. thanks Keith .. anythings better than nothing ..  the building looks a lot more modern  than what i had imagined.... even in that state.

I will have to try and find out about the fire .. I would imagine it must have reported in the local press.

best wishes..

Jayne

Offline My Don

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayne

:Just picked up your message re: WHITE HORSE HOTEL, Bangor Street, Caernarvon.

My family the Williams run the pub from 1841 to 1912. 

Regards
Roberta

Offline Hefin_Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Saw your post. I cannot help on the jones line but wondered how was your Richard Parry Williams connected to Robert and Margaret Williams who were licensed victuallers of the White Horse (Margaret in 1891). It would help as a Richard Parry Williams b 25 jun 1902 married a May Thomas who was  2c1r to me. Hence I am now having doubts regarding the accuracy of my record.
Hefin

Offline My Don

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hefin
Apologies for not replying sooner due to computer failure.
Richard Parry Williams(born 1902) who married  May Thomas was the son of Richard Parry Williams(senior) born in 1874 and married an  Elizabeth Emma Jones.  Richard Born 1874 was the son of Robert Williams (born 1845)and Margaret Williams(born l851 at the White Horse, 29 Bangor St. Caernarvon.
Margaret born 1851 was the daughter of John and Margaret Williams.
Margaret had two brother Richard Williams(born 1839) and Robert Williams(born 1844) My line of the family stems from Robert Williams (born 1844) Robert married Eleanor Williams had one son named Richard Parry Williams who married an Eleanor Jones who in turn had a son Robert Owen Williams born 1915 (My Father.
Richard Parry Williams (born 1902 ) has a daughter Glenda Parry Williams I have been in touch with her as we are related,I think we may be related.

Offline rfbjs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 24 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roberta,
I know this is an old post but I just came across something that you might find interesting. I was looking at some of the books in my grandmothers bookcase and one had an inscription by Richard Parry Williams, White Horse Inn, Bangor Street, 1904. Google brought me to this post. The book also has a note that says it was given to him by his beloved mother Ellenor Williams who died April 26th 1908. I have no idea how or why this book and a few others with "R. Williams" came to be in my grandmas possession. She does not remember and we are not aware of any williams in the family. I do know that my Taid's family were farmers and had butchers shop in Penygroes(Llanllyfni). As the book belonged your Taid, if you are interested in it, you are welcome to the book.
Cheers,
Rachel