Author Topic: "Heir Hunters"  (Read 97012 times)

Offline DMCD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Heir Hunters"
« Reply #135 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
On the programme when they say "The latest list has just been released by the Government" where is this list published? are there any links to it? or is it just a matter of serching through the Bona Vacantia search tool

Cheers Dave

??? ??? ???

Is there something missing from your reply or am I missing something....TA

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
No, I was simply bringinging it to Neil's attention, as he had answered the question following your question ..... and I too would like to know

:D :D :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
didnt answer for a reason.

sorry some things are trade secrets.

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
Fascinating thread, and great to have Neil answering.

I'm enjoying the series, but I wish the BBC would finish one story, then move on to another, instead of breaking off in the middle then repeating everything when they come back to it. Really annoying!

Neil, I'd love your job - I'd be in my element.  ;D
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:40 BST (UK) »
Well I think we are being spoilt having an episode every day!  So obviously it is full of repeat bits that might not be so annoying on a weekly basis ( DG for fast forward button  :) ).

Also it is set up for commercial channels so it revving up/recap for   taking those frequent ad breaks.

Be nice if they could be persuaded to use their data resources for simple family research... maybe they do? an hourly rate?

Anne
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline DMCD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:54 BST (UK) »
didnt answer for a reason.

sorry some things are trade secrets.

:'(

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 10 July 08 16:54 BST (UK) »
On the programme when they say "The latest list has just been released by the Government" where is this list published?
There's an advert in the Times every Thursday - don't know about the online version, but it's normally on the page with BMD announcements in the paper version. Perhaps it also goes in the London Gazette?

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Thursday 10 July 08 17:01 BST (UK) »
How can the Treasury's list of declared intestate estates be a Trade Secret    ;D ;D ;D

But message understood  :P
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Thursday 10 July 08 18:28 BST (UK) »
'm enjoying watching 'Heir Hunters' too, but years ago I used to be entertained by Fraser and Fraser (and the other probate firms) in a different way.

Before the Internet, and even before film and fiche versions of the GRO Indexes were widely available, firms like Frasers had no option but to use the index books in St Catherine's House. I used to see them there in the 80s and 90s - and it's fun now seeing many familiar faces on TV.

Because there was only one set of indexes that everyone had to use, it got very interesting when firms were in competition on a big case. They could be literally shoulder to shoulder with a competitor working on the same case, all desperate to keep their notes hidden from each other. One researcher I knew was an accomplished linguist, and used to make notes in Russian, so that the competition couldn't read them, and another once left a shorthand pad of 'decoy notes' in the pub that they all used! All hell would break loose if someone mislaid their real notes, though. If someone found an entry they were looking for, they might memorise the details and carry on looking in a few more volumes in case a competitor was watching.

It was much less fun when big firms like Frasers started buying their own copies of the indexes, and doing their searching in-house (although at least it left more room for the rest of us to get at the index books).

Incidentally, it was a spin-off from heir hunting that led to some online BMD indexes; one of the other large firms, Title Research, had also bought a set of the indexes and went a step further in scanning and digitising them for their own use. They went on to make these available on the website, 1837online, which eventually grew into Findmypast.

Mean_genie