Author Topic: "Heir Hunters"  (Read 96765 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Heir Hunters"
« Reply #288 on: Saturday 04 July 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
I hadn't realised that all this happened so long ago.  This page from the National Archives should tell you all you need to know.  If the money had been held in trust by the other two children, then I suppose you could trace their successors, and see if they know anything, but I wouldn't like to make a bet on your chances of success after all this time.  If there were no successors of the other two children, the money would have gone to the state if they didn't leave it in their wills.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Saturday 04 July 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Nick - that link looks fascinating, but I'll have to study it later when I'm not being pestered by family demands!

I have copies of the daughters' wills ... will also have to study them again, I think, - although I don't recall that there was any mention of their brother in either of them.

*Sigh!* ... bbl, thanks again :)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Draigcoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Monday 06 July 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
I am really enjoying the new series of Heir Hunters, but they seem to have less of the interviews with the found families or maybe that is just the way it has panned out in the programmes so far.
Surrey:Adams Crockford Samuel Twine Parsons Atkin Westbrook
Somerset/Cardiff: Ellard Brooks
Anglesey: Williams Jones Pritchard Burnell
Liverpool/Scotland: McEwan Stobbo

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:32 BST (UK) »
On this morning's program I think that they said there are currently over 3000 unclaimed estates however the bona vacantia list only has a small number of those. Is there somewhere that the full list can be viewed?

If I could find one of my family research surnames on the list I'd quite like to have a go at solving one for myself.

Lyla
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline smeni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:48 BST (UK) »
Watching this morning's programme, I wondered if the Land Registry was ever researched to see who owned a property - I know not every property is registered there, but it could be a useful way of ascertaining ownership.
Eidman, Eidmann, Eidmans - London, Cardiff, Somerset
Payne - London, Cardiff, Somerset
Scott - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leith
Lawrence - Edinburgh, Leith
Oriel - Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire
Hobbs, Huggins - Gloucester
Hurlow, Protheroe - Pembrokeshire
McLeod, Dallison

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
gosh heres a difficult one from the Bona Vacatia list

Rutherford late Dibble formerly Lewis formerly Williams nee Hodgins
Audrey Ann (widow)
died 18.02.09 Hailsham

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this morning's programme, especially where a beneficiary did some research herself into her benefactor's life. The war service information was particularly interesting.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
On this morning's program I think that they said there are currently over 3000 unclaimed estates however the bona vacantia list only has a small number of those. Is there somewhere that the full list can be viewed?

If I could find one of my family research surnames on the list I'd quite like to have a go at solving one for myself.

Lyla

Lyla

The quick answer is no full list. A more useful and
complete answer has been provided by Fraser and Fraser on page 19 of this thread

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
If an inheritance has gone unclaimed for years, and heir hunter companies have failed to find heirs, I think it's safe to say that a genealogist is unlikley to find any, because heir hunters will have done all the paper chasing that it's possible to do.  The only way these sort of cases is likely ever be solved (if indeed there is a solution) is if someone who knew the deceased or is related to the deceased comes forward.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk