Author Topic: "Heir Hunters"  (Read 96760 times)

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
Re: "Heir Hunters"
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Nick,

Although that is almost certainly correct with the larger cases, the smaller ones bellow £25-30k may have never been worked, however most have.Cases bellow £10k are only very occasionally worked. There is a chance that they could be solved easily! in some cases. I know that on the back of HH we have looked at 2 cases a £30k one that was never worked and an £8k one both we found nephews or nieces inside 1 hour of research. 

The small cases just don't make financial scene for us to look at.

The bigger cases that remained unclaimed are usually because there are no legal heirs i.e. first cousins, however in a very few cases we are just missing people who may have travelled over seas or something and we just cant find them, however with more and more records being released it is possible that any could be solved.

Neil

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry if its been covered,
but how come in a case (Roy REED ?) his sister got sfa because she had been adopted out ?

Sorry its so old, we just the first series three weeks ago down here (NZ)

:-\

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Nick,

Although that is almost certainly correct with the larger cases, the smaller ones bellow £25-30k may have never been worked, however most have.Cases bellow £10k are only very occasionally worked. There is a chance that they could be solved easily! in some cases. I know that on the back of HH we have looked at 2 cases a £30k one that was never worked and an £8k one both we found nephews or nieces inside 1 hour of research. 

The small cases just don't make financial scene for us to look at.

The bigger cases that remained unclaimed are usually because there are no legal heirs i.e. first cousins, however in a very few cases we are just missing people who may have travelled over seas or something and we just cant find them, however with more and more records being released it is possible that any could be solved.

Neil

Wow !  I think you may have started a scramble, Neil !  :)

Incidentally, my own inheritance claim seems to be almost at an end.  We're just waiting for the cheque.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
but how come in a case (Roy REED ?) his sister got sfa because she had been adopted out ?

Because she has been adopted out. She now becomes an heir to the parents that adopted her ( I think)

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:25 BST (UK) »

Under British Law, when a child is legally adopted, he/she loses inheritance rights from biological parents, but gains them from the adoptees.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Suck ....

otherwise wouldn't she have got the lot ?

200,000 plus !!!

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Must have seemed like the ultimate kick in the teeth from the parents !

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
What a pity the full list is not available. I'm sure a lot of the small inheritances that HHs are not interested in could be quickly solved by amateur geneologists like us who have interests in particular surnames. It would certainly fun to try.
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline FraserandFraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Neil Fraser of Fraser and Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
start with any that are on this series of HH they are mainly all small untouched cases I think but it is best to check first by searching for a probate.