Author Topic: Bridlington Marriage Parish Record Look up Please  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
Bridlington Marriage Parish Record Look up Please
« on: Friday 11 July 08 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Would anyone be able to do a look up for a marriage that took place in Bridlington, Yorkshire as follows: 

William Crisp to Bessy Shepherd Q2.1851.Bridlington.23.45

I was hoping that there might be information about their parents and/or witnesses in the record. 

Anyway help with this would solve a big mystery in my tree!  :o

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Jilly  ;D
Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bridlington Marriage Parish Record Look up Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 08 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly,

I had a look for your marriage this morning but only looked at Bridlington Priory & couldn't see it there.

The trouble is that the Bridlington District covers a lost of Parishes so it would help if you knew where Bessy lived.  I see that there was a William Crisp who was a visitor at Hunmanby (comes under Bridlington District)on the 1851 Census but see that a William & MARY Crisp had a child bapt. on the 15th Oct 1851 at Hunmanby named Elizabeth Mary so I don't think it will be him. I didn't see a Marriage at Hunmanby for them.  Where was Bessy on the 1851 Census?

I won't be going to the Archives for a while but maybe somebody else may be going & could look it up for you.

Gill
Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 08 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Would anyone be able to do a look up for a marriage that took place in Bridlington, Yorkshire as follows: 

William Crisp to Bessy Shepherd Q2.1851.Bridlington.23.45

I was hoping that there might be information about their parents and/or witnesses in the record. 

Anyway help with this would solve a big mystery in my tree!  :o

Thanks very much!

Regards,

Jilly  ;D

Hi Jilly,

The record to which you refer is the marriage registration, which unfortunately can't be "looked up".  The marriage certificate can be ordered, using the reference you have cited, for £7 from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

As Gill says, if you know what parish they were married in then a lookup of the parish records may be possible.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Gill and Anna,

Thank you for your replies and for looking up the record in Bridlington Priory, Gill. 

It would appear that 'Mary' Crisp from the baptism record for Mary Elizabeth Crisp was in fact known as 'Bessy'.  The family emigrated to the States in 1852 a year later after Mary E.'s birth in 1851.  Here's the record:

From New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957 (Ancestry.com)
July 10, 1852
On board the 'Constellation'
William Crisp, 27
*Bessy Crisp, 20 or 28
Mary E. Crisp (Undecipherable, but could be  'Inf.' for 'infant')
Mary Crisp, 52 

In the 1860 US Census Bessy is referred to as Mary. 

I have Bessy/Mary in the 1841 Census as follows (I can't find her in the 1851 Census):

John Shepherd, 45, Joiner, yes born in county
Mary, 35, y.
Robert B., 13, y.
Bessy, 9, y.
Daniel, 7, y.
Hannah, 4, y.
Sarah, 2, y. 

I was hoping to avoid the cost of ordering the marriage certificate, but it may have to be the case as I'm not sure of the parish where they married.  I would have thought that it would have bee Hunmanby as that is where they were living and had their child.  There is mention on William Crisp' census that he lived near Skipsea is that a possibility for the Parish for their marriage??

Thanks for your help with this! ;D

Best wishes,

Jilly

Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I forgot to mention in my last reply that the 1841 Census for Bessy Shepherd was taken in Hunmanby.

Gilly

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly,

I may have found them on the 1851 Census at Hunmanby but John is a farmer.
Class: HO107; Piece: 2367; Folio: 445; Page: 5

It would point to a marriage at Hunmanby, I haven't looked at the PR's but have got a transcription of them, maybe it has just been missed off that.

It is so annoying that you cannot tell from the District exactly where they got married & they can't even tell you at the archives!

Skipsea is only about 9 miles from Bridlington, but about 20miles from Hunmanby.

Gill
P.S. William was a plate layer when his daughter was born.
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

It would appear that Hunmanby would be the place that they married because all other records would logically point to that.  The marriage occurred after the daughter was born.  Could it be that they married elsewhere because of the illegitimate child? 

Thanks for the added info about William's profession when his daughter was born.  I'm not sure what a plate layer is, but he was a railroad laborer so maybe it is related to that. 

For that 1851 record of the Shepherd family in Hunmanby, is Bessy mentioned at all?  I don't have access to the record on line at this point. 

Thanks again,

Jilly

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
1851 Census at North Street, Hunmanby all born in Hunmanby
John Shepherd, marr, head, 58, Farmer
Mary Shepherd, marr, wife, 48, Farmer's wife
Robert Shepherd, unmarr, son, 23, Joiner
Elizabeth Shepherd, unmarr, dau, 19, House Servant
Hannah Shepherd, dau, 14, Scholar
Sarah Ann Shepherd, dau, 12, Scholar
William Shepherd, son, 9, Scholar
John Shepherd, son, 6, Scholar
Thomas Cooper, unmarr, App, 20, Wheelwright
Edmund Abbot, unmarr, serv, 16, born Fraisthorpe, General Servant

I will leave it up to you whether it is the right family :-\

Gill

Edit - Just realised that Mary isn't there, senior moment thinking Elizabeth was Bessy!!  Sorry

Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly,

Had a look at Baptisms for Hunmanby where John Shepherd married Mary Towse 1 Sep 1823 by Banns & both were of this Parish.

John's occupation was given as Joiner/Carpenter/Wheelwright
William - 19 Mar 1826 died 2 Apr 1826
Richard - 27 Jul 1827
Bessy - 19 Jul 1831
Daniel - 30 Sep 1833
Hannah - 24 May 1837
Sarah Ann - 6 Apr 1839
William - 23 Mar 1842
John - 26 Jul 1844

Note -not found a Mary

There was also a George & Margaret Shepherd who had a daughter called Bessy bap 20 Aug 1830.

A Bessy Shepherd was buried 8 Apr 1832 aged 1 year but doesn't mention whose daughter she was.

There was no Mary Shepherd baptised in Hunmanby in the time scale.

Was Elizabeth on the 1851 Census really Bessy after all?

Does this help or hinder?

Gill

Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks