Author Topic: Ancestry of Ada BORRETT  (Read 8290 times)

Offline larmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ancestry of Ada BORRETT
« on: Saturday 12 July 08 22:07 BST (UK) »
I am travelling to London with my 90 year old mother in September.  My daughter lives there.  My mother would like to visit her mother's birthplace and look up any living relations.  I would be interested in tracing her roots.   I have tried all day and can't find her birth records.  My mother does not know where they are.  I am trying to find it through marriage and death records in Toronto. 

I am trying to find the birthplace and any living relatives of (late) Ada Borrett ( Barrett).  The last known address I have is for one of her brothers Bill (William?) Borrett - married to Bess.  They lived at 23 Old Hale Way in Hitchin - that was during and after WW2.  I also know that they had a son Jack who emigrated to Australia.  I also have a note that there was also the ADAIR family somehow intertwined.

I believe Ada had two brothers and one sister - Ede (Edith?).   One brother, Ede and Ada all emigrated to Canada and married here.   My mother is Ada Borrett's daughter. 

I have written to 23 Old Hale Way in Hitchin but it is likely that it is owned by someone else.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I also will be looking up my late Father's family in Luten Bedfordshire.  His father William Farrar married a Lillian Waltire ( Walthire ).

Thanks for any assistance that you can provide!   Cheers!
BORRETT
BARRETT

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request Ada Borrett
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 July 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
So, is Ada Borrett (/ Barratt) the mother of your 90-y-old mother?
is that a maiden or married name?
How old was ada when your mother was born?
can you give any birth years  of ada's siblings (ages from shipping lists? )

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline larmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
Borrett or Barrett was maiden name.  Possibly born in 1891  she would have been 18 - 20 perhaps when she had my mother.   I just started to do this and have no information on the siblings other then their names.   I don't know what the shipping lists are.  New to this. I am going to try to find more info from local records in Toronto - marriage/death.  I will go to the cemetery and they might have the records - should have!  I think she was the oldest.  She had a brother William in Hitchin.  the other brother ( John?)  sister Ede (Edith?)
appeared to have emigrated to Canada in their early years .  All married here.  i will have more info perhaps Monday.

Thanks for your help! 
BORRETT
BARRETT

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Some Canadian marriage certs are online and would contain info about Ada's father and hopefully mother. I can see a few Ada BARRETTs so if you don't mind me asking who did Ada marry?

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline larmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 July 08 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Daisy!

Actually she was married twice.  Initially to Harley Miller - my grandfather.  She is buried with him and I am going along to the cemetery tomorrow to see what I can find out there.

She remarried ( I think ) "Mack" McConnachie or MacConnachie in thelate 50's to early 60's.  They may not have been legally married.  It is not a question that I can ask my mother.

I believe she died in July 1968 in Toronto.   I have some info that she may have been born Ada Harriet Barrett in Grimsby Uk in 1891 but I am almost positive that she was from the London area since I remember her as being very cockney.  My mother denies it vehemently as if it were a disease.

Thanks for your help.  How do I access the marriage records in Toronto?  Everytime I try to link on something there are fees and fees and I get nothing.
BORRETT
BARRETT

Offline larmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 July 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that the known siblings were John, Edith and Ada who emigrated to Canada around the same time in their late teens or early 20's.  Bill (William) last known at 23 Old Hale Way in Hitchin Hertfordshire may also have been a brother. Post WW2
Thanks all!
BORRETT
BARRETT

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 July 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found these marriages :)

I have transcribed the info from the images,

Groom
Harley Russell MILLER
Residence when married:  Toronto Ont
Birth Place: Alliston Ont 
Bachelor
Religion:  Presbyterian
Father:  William MILLER
Mother:  Elizabeth PATTERSON

Bride
Ada BARRETT
Residence when married:  Toronto Ont
Birth Place:  London, England
Spinster
Religion:  Presbyterian
Father:  William G BARRETT
Mother:  Elizabeth JONES

Witness:  Elizabeth D KERR, 51 Bond St City
Witness:  Robert FERGUSON, 53 Shannon St City

Marriage Date: 25 Dec 1915
Marriage County: York 
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_367 

also...

Fernand BOREAUX
POB:  Brussels, Belguim
Bachelor
Roman Catholic
Residence:  Toronto Ont
Father: Alfouse BOREAUX,  carpenter
Mother:  Marie BOITE

Edith BARRETT
POB:  Greenwich England
Spinster
Methodist
Residence:  Toronto Ont 
Father:  William Geo BARRETT,  bricklayer
Mother:  Elizabeth JONES

Witness:  Henry Dray,  80 Jones Ave, Toronto, Ont
Witness:  Estella GLOVER,  47 Autumn Ave, Toronto, Ont

Marriage Date: 31 Dec 1913
Marriage Place: York 
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_288 

If you can't access these images you could send me a personal message (click on Daisypetal then scroll down to 'send this RootChatter a personal message') with your email address and I could send them to you :)

I'm sorry but I can't seem to find the right link to see Canadian images online free, I'm sure I had one somewhere, it may be in here somewhere,

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html

I'm sure another RootsChat member will help with this :)

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
Edith's birth reg?

Dec qtr 1897   Borrett,    Edith Maud         Greenwich    1d   1133

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:27 BST (UK) »
Working backwards...

Transcribed as BERRETT, looks like BORRETT :)

1901  RG13/553  f.75  p.45  Lewisham, London
35 Willow Walk

BORRETT
William G    Head    31    Bricklayer. Retort setter at Gas works    Kent Greenwich
Elizabeth     Wife    43                                                          London Kensington
William G     Son       8                                                          Kent Greenwich
John H         Son    6                                                             "  "        "  "
Ada            Daur     4                                                            "  "        "  "
Edie            Daur     3                                                            "  "        "  "
Caleb           Son      8months                                                   "  "    Catford

Possible births
Caleb BORRETT    Sep Q 1900    Lewisham    1d  1191

Edith Maud BORRETT    Dec Q 1897    Greenwich    1d  1133

Ada BORRETT    Sep Q 1896    Greenwich    1d  1137

John Hurren BORRETT   Sep Q 1894    Greenwich   1d  1078

William George BORRETT    Dec Q 1892    Greenwich    1d  1062

Daisy