Author Topic: Your Ancestor's Grave May Not Necessarily Be?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Your Ancestor's Grave May Not Necessarily Be?
« on: Sunday 13 July 08 12:36 BST (UK) »
I find great satisfaction when I find a grave and headstone of an ancestor, especially an old one. However, on reading the "Recollections of Old Taunton", written in 1883 about the author's growing up there from the 1820's/1830's until 1883, it makes you wonder what (i.e. who) is actually in the grave under the headstone? 

I will quote from the book;

"The church yard was in a most disgraceful and disgusting condition, the number of bodies buried there having elevated the soil several feet above the original level. When a grave was being dug it was a common sight to see a large willow basketful of pieces of coffins, skulls, and bones with flesh adhering to them, taken out, and deposited in the south porch, where they were allowed to remain staring and grinning at each other for days. After another coffin was put into a grave, the basket of bones and skulls were upset upon it with a noise and crash resembling the upsetting of a basket of bole dishes and drumsticks. The bones of the Smiths, Whites, and Browns, little skulls and big ones, were all tumbled into the grave together, where it was hoped they had found their last resting place. But they were not allowed to rest even in that manner; a few years after, the churchyard was levelled and hundreds of cart loads of what was once living beings were carted away and spread over the fields and gardens in the neighbourhood of Taunton. It was high time that buryings should cease as the ground was so loose and undermined that it was no uncommon occurrence for the sides of graves to fall in just  as the corpse was about to be lowered. When the yard was levelled the headstones were removed, and placed in rows, regardless of whose grave they were near. Had any one the right to act in that matter?"

It makes one wonder - was this a common occurrence in English graveyards, or for that matter, any country........................  ???

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
Re: Your Ancestor's Grave May Not Necessarily Be?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
 :( :( ??? :( :( :-\ :( :( :-X :-X :-X
I would hope things have improved over the years  :-X
I almost wish I had not read this  :-\

Crystal
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 08 19:11 BST (UK) »
I fear it was all too common, this article from The Times in 1875 describes the churchyard where many of my ancestors are buried.

Thursday, Aug 12, 1875; pg. 12; Issue 28392; col A

"EARTH TO EARTH."
- At a vestry meeting at East and West Looe, Cornwall on Saturday, the chairman, the Rev. H. Mayo, vicar of Talland, described the state of the churchyard at Talland, which is the burial place for West Looe. Over 8,000 bodies had been interred, he said, in a little more than half an acre of ground. The usual depth of graves was 4 1/2 ft. deep, deeper graves being out of the question, owing to the friable nature of the soil, which was being continually turned over. There are no spaces between the graves, and whenever a person had to be buried the remains of others had by necessity to be disturbed. The sexton had a curious mode of determining whether or not he would be safe to open any particular spot. He drove a long bar down to the requisite depth, and if he met with no substantial obstacle, the grave was dug. Only last week, the chairman said, he saw a woman beside a newly opened grave in bitter distress, because the remains of one dear to her had been ruthlessly dug up and exposed. The repeated burials had raised the level to such a point that the church appeared to be in a pit and the polluted atmosphere rendered the sacred edifice unfit for public service. There was constantly oozing from the graves in the higher part of the yard a horrible slime, which came on the floor of the belfry. He was obliged to keep disinfectants for the safety of the ringers. Fresh primroses which were gathered and placed in the church for decoration on Easter Saturday, were almost black by the following evening, and a scientific friend had told him it was owing to the presence of sulphuratted hydrogen in the atmosphere, in such quantities as would endanger human life. On Ash Wednesday so fetid was the air in the church that the congregation was obliged to withdraw. Under these circumstances it is not suprising that Dr. Holland, the Government Inspector, is of opinion that something must be done to present a cemetery for the united townships; the ratepayers, however, are determined to put off the evil day of spending as long as possible, and a motion in favour of taking steps for the formation of a Burial Board was defeated. Dr. Holland will report to the Home Secretary.

Incidentally a civil churchyard for West Looe was a long time coming & in 1894 a cemetery was also opened in nearby Polperro. The ratepayers really were reluctant to spend money despite the appalling conditions.
A'Lee, Jay, Hender, Pointer, Wilton, Symons, Glover, Tonkin (All in Cornwall)

Glover (North Devon especially Woolsery)

Dent, Snowdon, (Haltwhistle, Northumberland & Sunderland Durham)

Jetson (Haltwhistle, Northumberland)

Olsson/Olson/Olsen (Hällaryd, Blekinge, Sweden & Sunderland Durham)

Quaintrell, Levoir, Cutter, McCarthy (All in London)

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Oh, it seems to have been a widespread problem. 
An Aunt of mine recently went to the cemetery where my Great Grandmother, her husband, her 2 sons and a brother in law are all buried, she was given the details and depths that they were all buried at.
It seems sad and a little comic that at the bottom is a son killed age 17 in WW1 then another son, then her on top of her is her brother in law and lastly her husband, apparently it was a grave purchased for 6 and the man at the cemetery was very keen to put a contact name down because in a few years time, unless it is claimed the top space will be used for anyone else needing a grave.
My Aunt quickly gave the man my name  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
I knew about the terrible state a lot of churchyards had got into but I hadn't heard of anyone leveling it off and removing the soil to spread on fields and gardens  :o Apart from it being totally disrespectful I wonder if people come across the remains today?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 08:54 BST (UK) »
I know of one of my ancestors was buried 3 times, but at least it was recorded. She was buried in the Old Burial Ground, Sydney, but that became the site of the Sydney Town Hall, and she was reburied further "up the road", however, that cemetery became the site of Sydney's Central Railway. She was exhumed again, and reburied at Botany Cemetery. This was over a period of 90 years.

As I indicated, these were recorded, its the ones that aren't which are the problem. I do have photo's of some heastones which have been removed from the graves, and displayed around an old cemetary, which is better than been tossed away, though where the actual graves are, who knows...........?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
This doesn't help because it must have been re-cycled many time afterward,s but the late C18th burial records at St Dunstan in the East London make fascinating reading, addresses of the dead are given and also where exactly in the church or churchyard they are buried. I expect they are not unique but I haven't seen any others like them.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline SueD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
As I indicated, these were recorded, its the ones that aren't which are the problem. I do have photo's of some heastones which have been removed from the graves, and displayed around an old cemetary, which is better than been tossed away, though where the actual graves are, who knows...........?

Les

I know that in the case of Talland Church there are headstones along the side of one path. In this case they were rescued from the beach after a landslip. The Churchyard is situated at the top of the cliff and over the years many graves have been lost.

The ones that sadden me more are those from other Churches that have been moved to make moving of the graveyard easier. Another sad trend is gravestones being moved after they have been rendered unsafe by vandalism.
A'Lee, Jay, Hender, Pointer, Wilton, Symons, Glover, Tonkin (All in Cornwall)

Glover (North Devon especially Woolsery)

Dent, Snowdon, (Haltwhistle, Northumberland & Sunderland Durham)

Jetson (Haltwhistle, Northumberland)

Olsson/Olson/Olsen (Hällaryd, Blekinge, Sweden & Sunderland Durham)

Quaintrell, Levoir, Cutter, McCarthy (All in London)

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 January 24 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I fear it was all too common, this article from The Times in 1875 describes the churchyard where many of my ancestors are buried.

Thursday, Aug 12, 1875; pg. 12; Issue 28392; col A

"EARTH TO EARTH."
- At a vestry meeting at East and West Looe, Cornwall on Saturday, the chairman, the Rev. H. Mayo,  etc etc etc
you may find this web site of interest www.tallandchurch-ancestry.co.uk. with photos, locations and details of inscriptions on each stone in the yard and in the church,,
Morton - Tipperary, Longford/Clonmel Ireland
Gallatley - Ireland,
Brownbill - Liverpool, Prescot
Burberry - Dorking
Bonnyman - Elgin/Buckie/St Albans