Author Topic: great-great-great-grandparents from Ireland  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Trouble

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
great-great-great-grandparents from Ireland
« on: Sunday 13 July 08 12:52 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help or set me in the right direction please, my great-great grandmother Rachel Phillips was born abt 1831 in Coventry, Warwickshire, both her parents John Phillips and Abigail were from Ireland, later census show John born abt 1803/4 in Dublin and Abigail born abt 1803/4 in Cork. Rachel has an older sister Mary born abt 1829 in Coventry. Not sure of my next step, how to find marriage  for John and Abigail, or how to proceed with finding their births. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: great-great-great-grandparents from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births, death and Catholic marriages in Ireland started in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages) so for earlier dates you need to search for church records (if they exist). To do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish of not actual townland not just the county).
No records were, or are, kept of people travelling between Ireland and England, Scotland and wales as all were part of U.K.
Since there's quite a distance between Co. Cork and Co. Dublin it's possible that the parents came to England separately and married in England not Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trouble

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: great-great-great-grandparents from Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 09:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, had to leave my research for a while and have just noticed I did not reply to you, my apologies. Thank you for the information, not sure where to go now but the idea of parents coming to England separately is certainly worth following will try to get someone to see if there is a marriage for them in Coventry circa the 1820's.