Author Topic: Divorces  (Read 3199 times)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Divorces
« on: Sunday 13 July 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hello ,
If I wanted to check whether a relative had been married and divorced at some stage where would I look please. Its a shot in the dark and I want to look for around 1923 -25 in Nuneaton or Coventry area .
Any help appreciated , thanks
Alan

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Divorces
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
Divorce files for that period should be in The National Archives, and you can search for them by name using the online Catalogue:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Put the surname in the 'Word or phrase' box, and J77 in the 'Department or Series' box. You can specify the date range too, but you don't need to. If there is a divorce file it will then show up.

You will then either have to go to Kew to look at the file, or request an estimate for a copy, because these are original documents, but they are usually worth looking at. You will get more information that you would get from the Divorce Registry, who only supply copies of the Decrees Absolute and Nisi, and charge quite a lot for the search.

Mean_genie

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Genie,
Thank you very much for that, I will give it a go .
Many thanks
Alan

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 July 08 23:03 BST (UK) »
Divorce files for that period should be in The National Archives, and you can search for them by name using the online Catalogue:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Put the surname in the 'Word or phrase' box, and J77 in the 'Department or Series' box. You can specify the date range too, but you don't need to. If there is a divorce file it will then show up.

You will then either have to go to Kew to look at the file, or request an estimate for a copy, because these are original documents, but they are usually worth looking at. You will get more information that you would get from the Divorce Registry, who only supply copies of the Decrees Absolute and Nisi, and charge quite a lot for the search.

Mean_genie

Sorry to butt in on a post.
The information you provided in this was very welcome, however, I have people who I know for sure were divorced yet I can't find them using the method described here.
At least 2 (non related) people who were divorced were later married again (at least one of them in a church) so surely they must have had an official divorce as opposed to a separation?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 July 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
JustKia

Alan was looking for a divorce n the 1920s, and these records are likely to be in The National Archives, who hold the files from 1858 onwards, but from 1928 to 1937 they hold roughly 80%, and from 1938 onwards only a tiny number of files survive - about 10 to 20 a year at most. The only complete index to divorces is held by the Divorce Registry, but the indexes are not publicly avaailable, you have to pay them to search for you. It's not cheap!

So if the divorces you are interested in are more recent, that's why you can't find them (and if they were a very long time ago you'd be surprised how much bigamy went on!)

Mean_genie

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 July 08 23:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.
One was 1970's, the other 1923-25.
I'm sure I have many people who remarried in the 1800s without divorces :o
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline fish53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 18:56 BST (UK) »
Have recently asked for a search for divorce papers with the Divorce Registry.

It costs £40 for them to search a ten year period.
Use the on-line form D440. You need the names of both parties before they will be able to conduct the search.